Hunting Footwear

Yo_Jono

G'day All.

Just wondering, Could somebody point me in the right direction for hunting boots?

I want somthing like the Danner 8" Pronghorn..

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with this boot? Or reccomend any others?

And is there any decent shops around Sydney?

Cheers

Jonathan

G'day All.

Just wondering, Could somebody point me in the right direction for hunting boots?

I want somthing like the Danner 8" Pronghorn..

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with this boot? Or reccomend any others?

And is there any decent shops around Sydney?

Cheers

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,Mate do a search, there are some good threads on here about boots.Miendles, danners etc.

Cheers Smithy

I have discovered some boots that are easily the most comfortable i have ever worn. They are called "original swat", they have laces but with zip up sides for easy of putting on and off. I have run in them, they are yet to show any signs of falling apart and i couldnt recommend them highly enough. They're only $140 too.

Edited by sco_aus

Whoa! I busted a brand new set of Rocky`s wide open on a 10 day hunt but then had them double stitched and they are still worn at times now.

But now my best pair of boots currently being used are also Rockys and they have survived 12 months of punishment...i rate them as excellent!

Rocky do make top boots but can be pricey,i get mine out of the clearance bins and the bargain cave and you can save 50-100 bucks a pair at times.

Have recently purchased some Irish Setter boots for deer hunts and they seem at this stage to be very bluudy good also. Also have a long pair for the bike and the snake season in IS`s and they are very good.

Plus a pair of Wolverine pull ons...excellent!

All the above brands have been known for good quality boots over the years.

The trouble with Rocky's and other similar US brands is you never really know what you're going to get, especially when bought mail order.

The problem is that Rockies buy in boots from all over the world...some are US made, while others come from various Far East factories, but probably mostly China these days. Rocky and other company's will also chase the best profit margin, meaning they will switch procurement of boots form one factory/country to another depending on the contract.

All this means you can buy say a Rocky ABC boot today and get something thats really good quality, but buy the same boot in five years time after prodiction has been switched, and you end up with a slight different boot which is often of poorer quality.

This happened to a friend who bought some Rocy Bear Claws...First pair were pretty good; good enough he ordered a second pair a few years later..The second pair had a different sole compound and they squeaked badly in wet grass; IIRC they also leaked within a few months as well..

Edited by Pete E

All this means you can buy say a Rocky ABC boot today and get something thats really good quality, but buy the same boot in five years time after prodiction has been switched, and you end up with a slight different boot which is often of poorer quality.

This happened to me. I bought a nice pair of high leather hunting boots and they were excellent. A few years later I bought another of the same pair and the build quality was rubbish. Starting to come apart after six months.

:)

i want to get a pair of boots from cabelas but am a bit worried about sizing. should i go try some boots on here and see what size i am and work around that even though the brands will be different or should i just go with my general us size in runners.

i want to get a pair of boots from cabelas but am a bit worried about sizing. should i go try some boots on here and see what size i am and work around that even though the brands will be different or should i just go with my general us size in runners.

Definately go into a store that sells good hiking boots and get them to fit you. Then use the european sizing on the boots to order your boots from Cabelas and you wont have any problems.

On good boots the sizing will be the same in different brands so that won't be an issue

Joggers have a different fit because they are softer; so I wouldn't use that size as a guide.

I checked this out when I was in the states a couple of years ago

Definately go into a store that sells good hiking boots and get them to fit you. Then use the european sizing on the boots to order your boots from Cabelas and you wont have any problems.

I checked this out when I was in the states a couple of years ago

Thanks for that Len, so what store sells good hiking boots.lol

Thanks for that Len, so what store sells good hiking boots.lol

Pop Into little bourke street in the city and have a look at the hiking shops there. they are pricy but as you are only get a sizing it shouldnt be a problem.

I would be carefull buying from overseas at the moment with the dollar as it is you may pay more than what you can get locally as stores may still have stock at the lower price before inflation.

I would look at sorel and mendel boots for hunting.

Pop Into little bourke street in the city and have a look at the hiking shops there. they are pricy but as you are only get a sizing it shouldnt be a problem.

I would be carefull buying from overseas at the moment with the dollar as it is you may pay more than what you can get locally as stores may still have stock at the lower price before inflation.

I would look at sorel and mendel boots for hunting.

thanks for the info bigjedd i was actually looking at some Rockys (see link) and i thought if it comes to around $200 aus then im happy with that.

cabela's-Rocky

Going on the current rate as of 2 minutes ago $159.99 american dollars is equal to $246.75 australian then you have freight on top say about $40.00 so they will cost close to $300.00

Price can change daily as you will be aware so keep an eye on the dollar and if it goes up jump at it.

go to Bass Pro and Sierra Trading and look in the clearance bins...Bass had some rocky`s for $70 yesterday,page below,couple others on this page too.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...__SearchResults

Thanks Gryph will check them out now. How did you go for sizing with the Rockys, is there sizing pretty similar to all your other footware.

I got the rockys that Gryph suggested and they are great, super water resistant and extremely strong and comfortable.

Cant see you getting much better value for the price.

yeah they do look pretty good Mick, especially for the price. i just have to work out my size now.