Knife, Or Knives.

Jock

Here's some of mine. My home made pig sticker and my no-name tanto that's my backup sticking / camp utility / dog tucker knife.

Picture-2.jpg

Some folders I got recently:

Picture020.jpg

Large Boker Power Trooper.

Smith and Wesson Border Guard in desert camo.

Smith and Wesson Extreme Ops (it was crap and I sold it on eBay....)

Boker Stiletto.

And a CRKT Lake Thunderbolt.

These are new additions, a CRKT Carson M21 02

Picture020-1.jpg

And a Boker Armed Forces 1 (this thing opens super, super fast......)

Picture022.jpg

I have a heap more but these are the ones that get used the most.

Nice blades Jock. I own a couple of pig stickers myself, they arn't as nice as yours and i wouldn't bother taking a photo of them. :)

Robbo,

You are wrong there.

Gives us a look.

The rougher, the better.

My fav, is the Pig Sticker. :P

Fenring,

They are great, Mate.

I thought I had a problem, having 3 knives.

You make me look good. :P:D:P

Which one is your, go to knife?

For bunnies the Boker Para or the Border Guard are my faves.

The Power Trooper stays in the car in the tool kit for whatever needs a sharp edge.

The Boker Stiletto is a great little everyday pocket knife as it's slim and light but opens with a flick of the finger.

The CRKT Thunderbolt is just a really nice knife and I've used it on bunnies too, it's just not as "flickable" but can still be opened one handed.

I would hate to think how many knives I've bought, lost, or been given over the years.

For deer stalking I use the two sets below.

StalkingKnives001.jpg

My usual go-to knife when stalking is the top one, a fairly basic Linder with 3 1/2" blade of 440C stainless steel.

The next is a Fallniven F1 which was bought to comply with our hygiene regs which require a knive to have an impervious handle and sheath. This was by far the sharpest out of the box I've ever owned: "scary sharp" in fact, but I don't find it particularly easy to sharpen.

The next is a Ka-Bar caping knife that was a gift. Another razor sharp blade out of the box, but a bit easier to sharpen..The slim blade comes in very handy for cutting out the anus when gralloching our small muntjac.

The second to bottom is a Frosts Clipper. Cheap as chips and damn hard to beat. It takes a very good edge and is easy to sharpen..Handle and sheath are impervious...I have a couple of these knocking around the place as they are a good solid work knife.

The bottom knife is another Linder, but a better quality than the top one. Another gift, I rarely use it simply because I would hate to loose it and it would be irriplaceable for sentimental reasons.

The next pic shows some of the kit I use for butchering a carcass back home. In all honesty, you could probably get by with a Frost Clipper, but there would be no fun in that!

ButcheringKit001.jpg

The knives are Victorinox butchers knives and they seem prety good quality at a very reasonable cost.

Edited by Pete E

Jock,

The butchers knives, especially the two 6" boning knives, arent expensive at all; IIRC I bought them from this place:

Scobies Direct

The stainless steel bone saws are often very expensive over here ,and in many places sell for between £60 and £70 each.

However I found Northern Tools butcher saws and they go for a fraction of the price and are of a comparable quality as far as I can tell.

In fact, its well work look around the Northern Tool website as they do a lot of interesting stuff at reasonable prices, electric meat grinders, carcass scales, winches ect to name but a few...

To give you an idea of the prices £1 = approx $2.01 Aus at the minute...

Regards,

Peter

Edited by Pete E

Jock,

Meant to say that pig sticker of yours looks a bit ofa beast. As that something produced locally in Oz? What length is the blade?

Always though some of the army surplus bayonets that you can buy would make a goood solid pig sticker...Some of the 1960 & 70 stuff is not particularly collectable, so are quite cheap for what you get..

Edited to add the Swiss STG-57 Bayonet is the sort of thing I was thinking off...I'd probably do a little work on the "guard" removing the the bit where the muzzle was originally designed to fit, but you could certainly use it as is...

It all depends if you want/need a sticker with a 9.5" blade I suppose?

Regards,

Peter

Edited by Pete E

JustinVic, Jock

Looking at that link I posted, those Swiss bayonets are made by either Victorinox or Wenger, you really can't get a better factory pedigree than that!

So I take you both you guys are avid pig hunters?

Regards,

Peter

Waldo,

Not tried that particular knife but have tried various others with gut hooks ect and came to the conclusion a standard fixed blade is all you really need for gutting deer. The only other thing that might come in handy is a small folding or "T" handled saw for going through the breast bone.

You're not going to be able to bleed a carcass with that "knife" and nether are you going be able to remove the lower legs. Also I can't see you being able to slit the hocks nor are you going be be able "core" around the anus to fee the pipe work off...

Edited to add, I would imagine its going to be a bugger to sharpen once you've used it a couple of times..

Regards,

Peter

Edited by Pete E