Any Thoughts On Walking Boots

I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on which are the best walking boots for use in the victorian high country this winter. I would like to spend a max of around $250.

Will be intrested to hear what you recomend.

cheers,

Brian

Hi Brian im in Vics high country as well and got myself a pair of Typan boots they are great so far the only thing that my mates have found with them is the tread depth. But they dont have a budget 1 just spent 350+ on a pair.So have a look at them if you dont already have some

1S1K

Cheers ((0))

A suggestion.

For winter, for Victorian high country Sambar,ing.

Go to KMart and buy a cheap pair of boots.

And then two pairs of good socks, one being wollen.

The socks are as important as the foot wear.

The reason for cheapist boots, is proportionally they last longer than expencive ones.

AND. they let the water out !

Kind regards,

Barry

I bought some of the cheap K-mart boots, $30 or $40. They keep the water out alright, too well, i.e. they also keep the sweat in and your socks are wet by the end of the day even if you've just been sitting on ya bum. But yeah they seem fairly solid so far, worn them every day for a few months and there's no real sign of anything wearing or coming loose. Did a 15 k walk all on pavement (faster than waiting for a bloody bus) and feet weren't too sore at the end so they're not to hard on the feet either.

I'm issued Tiapans at work and they are comfy enough, they dont however give much traction in the slippery crap up in the high country where I hunt usually. Do yourself a favour and go buy a set of Merrell Summit 2's. I get um from Ray outdoors for around the $150 mark usually. Heaps better boot than the Taipans.

I am also looking to buy a new pair of boots and am struggling with the decision. I have just retired an old pair of rossi boots which were pretty good but am looking for something with a bit more support and traction. To me it seems a toss up between boots that try to keep the water out (high$, impossible?) and a more simple boot that may not be as warm (use wollen socks) but drains and dries out easier.

Any thoughts?

I bought some military style boots from america which retail at around $200 a pair here. I bought the tan original swat and black side zip swat boots both for $210 shipped. i find them real comfortable and can handle anything you throw at them.

This is where i bought them from http://www.copquest.com/46-series.htm

One great rhing about them is they come in wide fits so they fit you perfect and i get 1/2 a size bigger so i can wear 2 pairs of sock in winter. just remember they are in U.S sizes so make sure you double check your size if you order them.

Scarpa TrekII's, (good grip, resoleable takes nikki wax really well really worth the investment (my missus has shin splints and calf compression injuries from bad boots (issued by the Airforce, , not many scarpa buyers change back to other boots. about 4 or 5 width fittings and start quite small (about a size 30 in the ladies) and up to a 50 in the mens. (Euro sizes)

but I have had in 25+ years of hunting:

Hi Tec Magnums, Taipan's, The original army "poo" boot, SEAL Gp boots.

Highmarks, KMart cheapies, KT26's and Israeli Canvas boots. (The famous Takkies) Zambelan and Garmont boots.

The Takkies were great in hot weather but the soles wear out fast.

Ditto the Kmart and Kt 26's. (but they are cheap and fit ok)

Seals were good but took 12 months to break in fully.

High marks- never buy another pair (lots of blisters)

Taipans - made by Highmark, some service men liked them (I'll pass again)

Magnums, Light, relatively durable but hot on the feet.

Zamberlans were great (but very very pricey at the time)

Garmonts - not bad, but the soles wore out. (I wore them every where) and I couldn't get the same model.

Really what you should do is go and have your feet measured before you try on the boots. (Out door stores like PaddyPallins will do this) Then try on everything that takes your fancy (even if it is out of budget) Always wear a brand new pair of good quality hiking socks, I use wilderness wear,

The fit should be firm but no pressure on any one part, the boot should not flop, a new boot will be slightly stiff

(a good hike store will point all this out.) there is an article on footwear somewere on the web that originated from a Bushwalking club - Blue mountains I think, I'll try to find a link and post it.

Southern

One of the main problems i come up against is that most boot makers cut out at a size 12, where i need a size 13. In recent times i have tryed rays tent city, rivers, and snowgum with only snowgum being able to offer me one choice that were out of my budget.