Need Lockup Rifle Case

Bugman

Gents,

I've had a last minute NZ hunting trip thrown at me and I need a flightproof lock-up case (all mine are soft).

Fly out on April 2 and can't get to the LGS (in Brissy) until the week before.

Anyone had any experience with good mail order or ebay equipment which could do the job. I'm taking a Weatherby Vanguard in .270 with scope etc.

For those interested where heading to the Marlborough (sp) area on the South Island. We're going with the local helicopter charter pilot (he's hunting) so we're only paying for av gas nothing else. Can't pass it up.

Brett

Edited by Bugman

Yeah Jock,

Thought the same thing this arvo so rang QLD Gun Exchange. They had 3 types in stock but were unsure what met Airline rules.

Anyone know if there is such a thing as Airline rules?

Brett

I have used the lockup type Stamford hard plastic cases for taking my rifle/s to and from NZ for the roar and never had any problems

Maybe ring the airline that you are traveling with and see if they have a particular requirement

Be wary of the woodgrain finish or aluminium type finish on some of the gun cases that are for sale now, they are nothing more than a plastic or paper finish on a very thin piece of board held in place by a couple of cheap rivets- They look good but I wouldn't use one for firearm cartage in my vehicle much less trusting it to protect my firearm in transit for a long distance. In the process of making my own case out of ali sheet for the extra protection when traveling overseas

Check the stiffness of the sides of the gun case by pressing down hard on the surface and see if it moves or cracks - do this when no one is watching :D

Make sure that it locks securely - even put a couple of wraps of gaffa tape around the case in a couple of places - will need to to be able to get the tape off for customs inspections - carry extra gaffa tape and make sure that you have a large secure I.D. tag on your case.

Hope this helps

Thanks Len,

A quick question for you. I'm guessing you have to remove the bolt - as per standard law - where does this go in transit? And I've specified that I want to take Ammo so where does that go - in another separate box - does that make three boxes?

Brett

Hi Brett

This info is in relation to flying with Quantas

Notify them first when you have booked your ticket that you will be travelling with a firearm - get to the airport an hour earlier then normal as you will get someone at checkin that doesn't know anything about your firearm travelling with you even though you informed them when you rang weeks ahead or when you booked your ticket - happens most times.

Rifle/ Firearm must be stored in a seperate securable case - rifle locked in case, bolt removed and stored in checked in luggage - Bolt must not be in rifle or in the case with the rifle, did not have to be locked in a seperate case/container previously, wrapped mine in my hiking socks in my suitcase/pack- not in carry on luggage.

Ammunition - only allowed to carry 5 kgs in checked in luggage not carry on - must be in original packaging - not in aftermarket ammunition boxes - did not have to be in a locked container. Unless you handload or have an exotic calibre its probably easier to buy some in NZ - I took my own.

Check with the airline about these details as they may have changed - they may even be on the airlines web site

The airline should inform the return leg airline that you are travelling with a firearm on the return leg - sometimes they don't so be prepared for some questions at checkin in NZ on your flight back.

You will need to obtain an export and import permit - these you get from customs - in the past you had to do this in person - you will need to take your firearms licence with you - this is a must - even though I have done this for every trip to and from NZ I have never been asked to show the paperwork.

When you get to Customs at the airport in NZ declare that you have a firearm and will need to go to the police station - they have one in the airport - have all your paperwork ready and apply, pay for and receive a temporary NZ firearms licence - they are very good in NZ as they do this all the time especially now as the roar is starting

Now go Hunting

Importing firearms and bows into New Zealand

When you arrive in New Zealand you must:

1. Declare all firearms to New Zealand Customs Officials

2. Declare all firearms to the New Zealand Police

3. Apply for a Visitors Firearms Licence (T licence) which is valid for one year

4. Apply to the Airport Police at the International Airport for a Permit to Import

Visitors Licence

To obtain a Visitors Firearms Licence you must pay $25 and show Police:

1. Your passport

2. Evidence you have a firearms licence (or equivalent) in your own country.

Permit to Import

You need approval to bring firearms into New Zealand.

Provided your firearms are of the type approved for import into New Zealand, you will receive your Permit for Import immediately on your arrival.

Please check if your firearms are of the approved type before you arrive in New Zealand.

The list of approved firearms for import is in the link

Also read the following

http://www.police.govt.nz/service/firearms/#resources

http://www.police.govt.nz/service/firearms/approved.html

http://www.police.govt.nz/service/firearms/importing.html

b The two best travelling guncases are NO !. Kolpin gun boot, you will find this unit very versitile and useful in different situations.

No 2. Airlite.

Both use a padlock.

I have 2 Stamfords that never get used. 2 airlites that get used occasionally; Hayden used one last year when he flew up to port Douglas. And We have 4 or 5 Kolpins that get used ALL THE TIME. You can fix them to a 4 wheel bike, a two wheel bike and we often fix a couple to the loading board of utes with occie straps to carry spare rifles [different calibers etc] when away on hunting trips.

I have always bought hard lockable gun cases, never soft ones. Mine is a Winchester Aluminum case with 2 built in locks plus provision for 2 padlocks to be used as well. It has survived a trip to hell (cap rock at wedge) in the back of the 4by with a shíte load crap on top of the case. It got binged up pretty good, some serious dents, but the rifle was 100% protected and the case is still in use today with no loss of integrity or function (just took the padding out and banged out the dents). I cant fault the case at all and am suitably impressed with its durability, that I'm now contemplating getting a double case from Winchester.

Edited by Gibs

Thanks to everyone for your replies, especially Len with the good oil on travelling O/S to NZ.

I managed to get up to Brissy on the weekend and went to the LGS to look over the field. While the shop assistant was trying to sell me a pelican case ($500) I settled on a double winchester at $195. I don't think I'll fly that much so the pelican was just a bit over the top even though I know it will last a lifetime.

It seems my hectic couple of weeks of organisation has been done, Customs forms done and cleared, passport done and police import form done. Airline regs checked (gun in hard case, bolt stowed in main luggage, bullets in lock up case in luggage) all we need is the roar to begin - which I did hear over the weekend has started to happen.

Probably the only thing I'm lacking is fitness - which is where the helicopter should come in.

Thanks again

Brett