Electric Knife Sharpeners

newrycurt

ColC to tell you the truth mate go and buy a sharpening stone and learn to sharpen your knives with them (if you don't know already off coarse) and also a steel to finish it of... You can take the stone and steel away with you and the take up bugger all room.... Even the lansky system is worth a look but for between $100-$200 the sharpening stone looks good at $20 and a good steel for around the $50 mark you will have them forever....

Thats just my opinion mate and I don't expect everyone to agree with it

I have a Smith's pull through sharpener, it works well, has a course carbide for an edge and a fine ceramic for fine tuning. It is pocket sizeand cost about $15, it is only a quick fix but I agree with Rono, a stone and steel is the best method.

I'm toying with the idea of buying a Nirey electric knife sharpener. Has anyone used one and are they worth the money?

They're about $140-$150 at the local butchers supplies.

I'd reccomend a lansky style system for getting a good edge then use a steel in the field. There's a lansky style clone that used to be avaiable from Australian knife collectors club- the EZ-80 Smiths deluxe sharpening kit. Unlike the lansky this kit comes with a diamond stone which is a must for really dulled knives, 2 arkansas stones and honing oil. It used to cost $80 delivered call them on 08 9572-7255. Ask about a sharpening steel too, they have many sizes available.

I use a tormek wet stone grinding wheel with leather honing wheel, there pricey at about $900.00 but i use it for work also to sharpen chisels ,plane blades etc (im a carpenter) , its the best tool...i sharpen all my knives on it ,kitchen and hunting as well as axes and scissors etc...the thing works that well and gets blades so sharp you could shave youre balls with a bowie knife.Not that i reconmend that.

I tried a demo model Nirey sharpener at the butcher supplies shop this morning. While it was good on the thin bladed knives such as Swibos etc, I couldn't use it on my Rat Cutlery RC4 because the blade was too thick to go into the slot where the sharpening wheels are, so back to the stone or Lansky type sharpener.