Leica Geovid 10x42...opinions?

Having just come back from a few days in Nz hunting Chamios and Red Deer it has become very apparent to me the need for great binoculars and in the case of Chamios a range finder is almost essential as distances across valleys, up and down slopes in the crystal clear air are almost impossible to judge! Now if i'm going to invest a few grand in Binoculars anyway is going the extra step and incorporating a range finder worth it? Or is a separate unit the go? And what is the general consensus of leica binos , are there better out there . At the moment i'm considering the Leica geovid 10 x 42 thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Ian

Edited by ebbers

Hi ebbers

I too have been researching the binocular/rangefinder combo and settled on the same binoculars for pretty much the same use

The Leicas are in the top of the binocular range in terms of quality and performance having used a mates non rangefinder Leicas and seen how good the quality of the optics are I agree with the people that rave about them.

Can't find anyone who has a pair in stock to try out though

I used side by side the R/F Leica 10x42 with 10x 42 Swaro`s in real time and watching deer..result is the leica`s disappointed...however I have been reliably informed that this scenario is only with the compromise of the RF/Bino combo and not with the stand alone Leica bino`s.

The best rating R/F is the Bushnell 'elite' 1500,yep an old Bushnell beats all the others apparently!

I used side by side the R/F Leica 10x42 with 10x 42 Swaro`s in real time and watching deer..result is the leica`s disappointed...however I have been reliably informed that this scenario is only with the compromise of the RF/Bino combo and not with the stand alone Leica bino`s.

The best rating R/F is the Bushnell 'elite' 1500,yep an old Bushnell beats all the others apparently!

Gryphon

I have read where the colour of the leicas rf/ binos is a little bit off compared to other quality bino's , this being due to the rf function, is this the disappointment or were the other issues with the binoculars

ian

At the time we were watching into a gully late arvo from behind a big log,I asked the mate for the Leicas,as they were being handed to me my mate said " you will find that they are 10% less bright than your Swaro`s" he was right because after seeing what i could through mine I handed them straight back as they simply didnt do the job of the unit I had been using to that moment.

Didnt take any notice of colours but they certainly werent as light...so I assume their light gathering qualities were not quite up to it.

I can only report what I have seen myself really,the mate with the Leicas also has 10x50 Swaros but carried the L`s for the extra function while hunting with me.

Thanks for that gryphon!

Just interested in what you would do , two units or the combo for the following conditions. The country we hunt in is steep and open for the most part, and when i say say steep i mean really steep! We were only 1.6 km's from our base at the DOC hut at one stage but we we were 1090m higher in altitude. The haul to the top is really HARD work and once there most of the day is spent glassing the nooks and grannies that Chamois like to hide in or looking down into the grassy head basins for Red deer that like to graze peacfully there! Once you have spotted an animal stalking can be time consuming as height is usually neaded to pass some obstical or another and at 6 to 7 thousand feet it takes it's toll! Would you carry separate units? Are the Swaro's going to be worth the extra effort of the combined units in that country! At several thousand dollars i dont want to muck this purchase up !

Cheers Ian

I do like the dedicated binos and dedicated RF`s myself especially knowing that the compromise of two units in one body lessens (apparently) the usefulness.

Hunting bush for sambar there is usually no need for a RF at all,I rarely ever carry mine ever.

My old hunting mate was here last August and we were doing comparo`s talking shite on the hill one late day,and he was of the same opinion not knowing mine up until then as he had the mail that the two in one bino wasnt as good as the single unit.

Hey if I wasnt looking through Swaro`s at the same time I`m sure I would have gioven a "superb" verdict.

Been looking at these for a while- at about $3300 they would want to be dammed good. i like the idea of having both in one unit. A NZ review said the colors were a little distorted but didn't mention much about low light levels.

I want more information before spending that much! Regards JB

Or you could always lash out on one of these!

2.5-Perspective.jpg

Victory Diarange

Ouch!

Oh my god, is that one of the new submarines we're getting? Looks as big and heavy as one

Take it from somebody who hunts other than farm fringe sambar habitat,

If thats me you have in mind cob you have it way wrong,I dont hunt JUST farm fringe country I hunt all types of habitat for them and other species.

Matter of fact Sambur is here and making the coffee right now and then we are heading out very soon to get into some rocky, steep and shitty long gorge country for some tough old hunting,far removed from any farm fringe.

I have a pair of Leica Ultravids in 10x42 and have used them side by side and can see no difference in image quality, brightness and colour. I would imagine that Leica have used the same lens in both models, hence they are the top of the line models with the Geovid's being a tad more expensive due to the rangefinder. Zeiss have now bought out a rangefinding bino in their Victory series and I think they have done the same. There is a fair difference in the light gathering capabilities between a 10x50 Swaro and 10x42 Leica, so to compare them on this front is not apples to apples.

As stated above, the top binos have very little difference in optical quality, some say Leica have finer optical performance and have better colour retention, some say Swaro are brighter and some say Zeiss are better overall. Ergonomically in the hand they vary too. In the end it is up to the person forking out the big bucks for a once in a lifetime purchase, which is what all these top of the line binos are. You cannot skimp on quality that will last (hopefully) forever

If I was a rifle hunter (I am a bowhunter) I would have forked out the extra for the Geovids for sure as having the one unit to lug around is a huge advantage and there is plenty of time if you are taking a longer shot with the rifle to steady the binos to get a good range on them. However given the close quarters I need to get into, I use a smaller compact rangefinder, as I need one hand operation and minimal movement when it comes time to range my target. I could use the bino RF but choose not too, though I have friends that do.

While on this point, I do not think that you will find a better rangefinder than the Swarovski Laser Guide 8x30. This unit has an optical quality that has to be seen to be believed. If only it was not a monocular, I think this would be the only optic I would use, bar a spotting scope for long range glassing. The brightness and sharpness are awesome and the rangefinder has a scanning mode that is very handy indeed. It is very easy indeed to locate your target due the larger objective lens, particularly when hunting in low light or in thick and dark bush. Most other rangefinding units have a small objective lens and they simply do not have the capability to gather as much light in these situations.

Edited by Antarcher

There is a fair difference in the light gathering capabilities between a 10x50 Swaro and 10x42 Leica, so to compare them on this front is not apples to apples.

I agree 50mm v 42mm is not a fair comparo..however if you read my post you will see that I wasnt comparing 50mm O/lens bino`s i had stated how I compared my own 10 x 42 Swaro`s alongside the R/F Leica`s swapping one pair for the other...I included the ref to the 50mm job as simply conveying that the owner of the Leicas also owned the 50 mm Swaros,he suggested that the Leicas as he handed them to me were 10% duller then "your Swarovskis" .... he actually purchased my Swaro`s for me and had played with them prior to he arrived in Aus and had come to his own conclusions before the swap over that evening.

Its all anecdotal evidence of course and not laboratory spec conclusions and all I can report is what I was witnessing that evening performance wise through my own eyes while watching for deer.

A lot of all of this equates to holden and ford stuff of course.

I have been look at these for months. The price $2800 to $3400 is a bit of a turn off. At the shot expo I looked at a bit of Barbed wire at 1.5km though them and seveal other brands. The optics are sharp.

A mate suggested I look at Vixen Apex Pro. For about $500 from MY Astro Shop they are reportedly top flight.

I hear Errol Mason is going to be a importer and wholeseller of them and is giving them a good rub.

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1642 has a review.

The $500 is direct from My Astro Shop in QLD. My mate spends a lot on his hunting gear and is absolutely rapped in his. Mine turn up tomorrow. 3000 or 500 with marginal difference and a lot of change for a bloody good range finder- Hmmmmm? I doubt anyone who has spend Several K on optics would admit they made a mistake or could have got almost as good for a lot less money? A Bino review in a Deer mag a few months ago had binos from about 1000 to 3500. the comment at the end was there is a marginal difference in them.

At Kirks cameras in Ringwood they have some. go and have a look at the power transmission line. The Lecia are clearer than the saxon or Bushnell. if you try some better brands beside the lecia the difference is not so obvious.

Hunt Hard- Hunt Fair- have fun

I have been look at these for months. The price $2800 to $3400 is a bit of a turn off. At the shot expo I looked at a bit of Barbed wire at 1.5km though them and seveal other brands. The optics are sharp.

A mate suggested I look at Vixen Apex Pro. For about $500 from MY Astro Shop they are reportedly top flight.

I hear Errol Mason is going to be a importer and wholeseller of them and is giving them a good rub.

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1642 has a review.

The $500 is direct from My Astro Shop in QLD. My mate spends a lot on his hunting gear and is absolutely rapped in his. Mine turn up tomorrow. 3000 or 500 with marginal difference and a lot of change for a bloody good range finder- Hmmmmm? I doubt anyone who has spend Several K on optics would admit they made a mistake or could have got almost as good for a lot less money? A Bino review in a Deer mag a few months ago had binos from about 1000 to 3500. the comment at the end was there is a marginal difference in them.

At Kirks cameras in Ringwood they have some. go and have a look at the power transmission line. The Lecia are clearer than the saxon or Bushnell. if you try some better brands beside the lecia the difference is not so obvious.

Hunt Hard- Hunt Fair- have fun

Pracman what size did you order? I ask as a quick look around online has lots of prices and I reckon there would possibly be cheaper out there.

One thing we must consider is that so many bino`s have very good day vision but at either end of the day AM /PM those exy ones really come into their own and game can and will be seen through them whereas the lesser bino`s fail miserably.

I have used a 10x42 geovid for a year, but sold it again.

It is to much money for something that dont work every time.....

Many times it couldet range me and in the smallest darkness it failed most time.

The same in bright sunshine and on water, and in the night it was not so good as my Zeiss 10x42 without rangefinder....

So in my mind its to expensive for what it do, but its very good when it works.......

Olsen