Walk About Spot Light

moldyform

G'day

looking at getting a walkabout spotty and tossing up between these two.

The lightforce blitz 240. 1mill candle power.

Or this spotty form Jaycar

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?I...mp;SUBCATID=393

10 mill candle power.

Any help would be good

Cheers

I think the lightforce would be the way to go ...I use one with a motor cycle battery, (sealed type) lasts me for the night

three or four hours.longer if you use it with a small torch to see where you are going...bb

I think 10000000 power may be a chinwanese made overstatement. :unsure:

Unsure? I'm friggin sure it is, utter bullsh1t.

For a walk about light imo the 240 blitz is too big. Go the 170 striker or even the 140 thingo..... Light force are light weight too, another bonus for a walk about rig...

I have both the 240 & 170, and the 170 really doesn't give that much away to the 240 in terms of a bright deep pencil beam...

Light Force do not exaggerate on their candle power output either.

Hmm,

Pretty hard to tell too. They both have a 100W globe in them. Does that mean they would be the same brightness?

Nope, it's in the reflector/size and lens that make the difference. Lightforce have a Parabolic reflector v's some crap reflector on a Supercheap version....

Edit; I just looked at that link, and even a 140 lance would be far better than that rubbish.

Edited by outlaw

i would go the 140 or 170 lightforce (i have the 240 for use out the back of the ute) as you can run a lead from it to a battery in a small back pack without getting a sore arm which i think you would get from that jaycar one

just my 2 cents

cheers

Lighforce FTW!

Just think about this... With a lightforce you can use it from a cigarette lighter in a car and then walk about with a battery in a back pack.

But I'd go with the 170 as it is not too big... the 240 is quite large.

That other Jaycar rubbish will give you monkey arms carrying it around!!!

BTW: Candle power is not a good indicator of a good spotlight.

Edited by Gigitt

go the lightforce top quality good price and proven performance ask anyone whose used/owned one cant fault em really

with the added bonus of scope mounts if your on ya own, and lense covers, red, blue, yellow etc for different animals and conditions

pretty easy choice if ya ask me

Edited by tom1

I've got a Lightforce 140 scope mounted with the 55watt? globe and it's more powerful then my "other" brand spotlight with a 100watt globe.

The lgs recommended the 140 for walk about as it's manageable and uses less battery power so will last longer.

I love my Lightforce and now that I've used one I won't go back to the "other" brand spotlights.

Also, I agree that the 240 may be a tad oversized for walking about.

If you get a 170 Lightforce you can always use 100W, 75W and 55W globes... with a 140 you are limited to 55W and 75W MAX.

170 is not that much bigger 3cm diameter and I think more versatile than 140.

Yes a scope mount Lightforce would be a better buy, as it can also be used as a handheld.

240 is too big for a walking light mate.

Also you have to carry the battery. 100W / 12 Volts = 8.3A. Most batteries are rated for a discharge rate like 10% or something.

So in an ideal world an 8a/h battery would last 1 hour. Unfortunately, not the case. Not even close. As you draw a battery down it supplies less voltage, so it draws more current. An inevitable situation. A small capacity battery might give you a full 12 V for 10mins if you are drawing 8A. After a bit your battery voltage will drop to 11V, so now your light is drawing 9A and your light is not as bright, now the rate of discharge is higher and you lose power quickly..........Sorry I could go on and on, hope you get the gist.

A 10 A/H battery will be designed to be discharged at 1 A for 10 Hrs, not 10A for 1hr.

A 100W light you need a big,heavy battery mate. Lots of things to consider to do it all properly.

I have also been thinking about getting a light with backpack battery. So what size battery and light combos are you running to get a decent amount of light for a couple of hours spotlighting???

you can buy "prawning light batteries" for about $35 each, they last for ages and re-chargeable, it is even heaps better if you carry a normal torch to search for victims.

Sodrat.

I have a LF 170 Scope Mount with Red filter and run a 20Ah battery in a backpack.

I do not know how long it will run for but one night I was out spotlighting for 4 hours using it most of the time and it was fine.

You will find that if you need to use the spotlight 100% of the time you will flatten the battery quicker.

I tend to use my Energizer LED headlamp otherwise, to walk a bit further then sweep again for 10-15 minutes etc.

Lightforce!...tried and tested.

I use the Nighthunter Set - 140 with the 7amp/hr battery. Scope mount or handheld, comes in a box to keep it all safe...red filter included.

Its brilliant, last's a good night shooting if you're sensible and balance it out with your maglite torch for instance, and the battery wont break your arms.

good shopping.

Muz