First Bow

wabbit

Hey Guys,

I am new to hunting, I have been hunting about 20 times with a Bruno M2 .22. I want to buy my first bow to practise with then eventually hunt with. I am not sure what to look for and i dont want to go into a gun store to be talked into some crap so that i can some rubbish that doesnt sell. I have a 30", if that help. What do i look for ? Is there any good starter bows ?

Cheers,

Jake

your better off going to a bow shop ,because they need to work out draw lenght ,what poundage youll be comfortable with ,left or right handed ,just to name a few ,,,most decent bows for hunting will start around $ 300 and go right up ,,my bow is only a redzone 60lb compound and it hasnt let me down at all ,,and it was only $300 ,,but if there a decent shop they will try too sell you more top end gear then rubbish ,,,jas

like the others have already said, wabbit, visit your nearest archery store. im yet to see a firearms store stock a decent range of archery gear. where are you from? if from melbourne i could recommend a few. the only problem for people that are new to archery is that they can be taken for a ride when they visit them looking for their first bow. ive found they each have their own very strong opinions of what you 'should' be shooting, in terms of brands, accessories etc, and will most likely tell you that ceratin bows, arrow rests, release aids etc are "all rubbish", when that is just their own personal opinion. search around the archery forums like aussiebowhunter and overseas forums and get an idea of what you want to spend and any positive reviews of particular bows and then go to the store with something in mind.

Hey Guys,

Well I have been to my local gun shop, they have a few american models and a asian one called the red zone witch has a 30" draw. I have my eye on one on ebay, its a 'Bear Showdown' with a 30" draw length to it. Going to $500 with some other accessories have a look here: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...em=220400129519

If this one doesn't come through ill be over to the gun shop to pick up the redzone on the weekend i think.

Cheers,

Jake

How about before you start spending money you go and find your local club and pay them a visit. You will get to see the different options when it comes to bows and you will get to play with some gear that will show you that spending more can make a big difference to you bowhunting experience.