What Binos Should I Get?

Hi guys,just after a pair of Binoculars $500 max.I'll be hunting mostly scrub land,so what brand & magnification would yous

recommend?

What do you intend to hunt.No point having 8x30 if you are trying to fing goats at 1000m.Likewise no point using 10x50 if chasing rabbits.Most will recommend something in the 8x30 or 10x40 range,as these would be considered the most versatile.I have Nikon Monarcks in 10x42,and would consider these very very good for sambar hunting.If you can get them from the states,then you will certainly be getting a better set of bino's than what you can get in Oz for that sort of dollar.Mine were $350 to my door,verses $740 from Croydon.

What do you intend to hunt.No point having 8x30 if you are trying to fing goats at 1000m.Likewise no point using 10x50 if chasing rabbits.Most will recommend something in the 8x30 or 10x40 range,as these would be considered the most versatile.I have Nikon Monarcks in 10x42,and would consider these very very good for sambar hunting.If you can get them from the states,then you will certainly be getting a better set of bino's than what you can get in Oz for that sort of dollar.Mine were $350 to my door,verses $740 from Croydon.

Can you recommend a US store/website.

Lee

For all round versatility stick with 6 or 8 x with 30-42mm objectives. If you are shooting something specific, as stated by 'pajero', you need to up or down in magnification/objectives respectively.

I would highly recommend staying with the well known brands as well. Otherwise they are unreliable in extreme conditions and you end up spending the same money as you will need to replace them soon after purchase??

Sticking with this theme but just a couple of add on questions.

Do you guys use a harness for your binos or just the normal shoulder strap?

Are there any preferences?

When out hunting do you carry the case with you or leave at the camp?

Lee

If you are constantly glassing the shoulder harness is the way to go - you leave the case at home or at camp

Close scrub work 6 x 30

General distance work 8 x 42

Im using the Steiner Predators
I wouldnt carry binos without the shoulder harness, they are worth their weight in gold.

+ 1 on both accounts, i have the Steiner 8x30 Predators and they are a great mid range bino. A harness is a must when using binos while hunting, they are easily accessible and out of the way.

Sticking with this theme but just a couple of add on questions.

Do you guys use a harness for your binos or just the normal shoulder strap?

Are there any preferences?

When out hunting do you carry the case with you or leave at the camp?

Lee

Harness cost about $30 and leave you hands free to carry your rifle or move through the scrub with out making noise. They are almost essential. The shoulder strap do not work hunting as they swing about and will see you binos broken very quickly. or leave you holding on with one hand all the time.

a good cover at both ends is needed to stop dust, pollen and shite making your binos next to useless. Some of the harnesses come with a cover. I leave my case at home and just use the Harness and very good covers

Hunt Smart- Regards JB