looking into getting a set of binos had a quick look on ebay and found a pair of 20x80 saxon binoculars has anyone used them before and how did they go? are they worth the money or should i go for something abit better

ill be using them from deer hunting 99% of the time so field experience would be tops

cheers

Edited by Tiny_Dancer

I believe that saxon are on the bottom of the quality scale

I personally would not be buying a pair of binoculars that I had not heard of without looking through them first

Maybe you can find someone local that stocks the brand and you could have a look through them and check them out

Without knowing much more about your situation I would would look at a pair of Browning binoculars in 8 x 42

They are a very good binocular at a good price - my mate has a pair and I rate them highly

20 power binoculars would be large and hard to keep steady when being used freehand

They have been rated highly for their clarity and brightness in binocular reviews when compared against other expensive binoculars

Edited by vinneyk

looking into getting a set of binos had a quick look on ebay and found a pair of 20x80 saxon binoculars has anyone used them before and how did they go? are they worth the money or should i go for something abit better

ill be using them from deer hunting 99% of the time so field experience would be tops

cheers

I have a pair of saxon with much lower power (8X) They are ok and very CHEAP. The eye cups/covers are a pain and keep failing off. The optics are not as good as my scope!!!!!!! They really fall over in the two key deer hunting periods. Sun Rise and Sunset.

What ever you get grab a harness to free up both hands. some thing like

harness

If you get to try some other brands at dusk or dawn or compared them to a reasonable scope at this time you might like to save a little first. They aren't bad. They certainly are not the best! Cheap is an advantage for a while unless you cannot see the deer, spending 7 k on binos is not possible for many of us.

Good luck hunting

Edited by Pracman

cheers guys will look into a smaller pair thought 20x80 was quiet big

20*80 would be almost impossible to hold steady with out a tripod. 8*42 or 8*50 or 10*50. Prio prism are the go. The Saxon 8*42 would work better for hunting Deer than 20X50 unless your shooting at 500 meters plus across a face or something even then a spotting scope might work better? What and where are you hunting?

My saxon are up for sale now as I have ordered Vixen Apex Pro 8x42 from My Astro Shop in QLD ( Steve). A mate who has several pairs and brands is raving about them and a Mr E Mason is apparently about to be selling or importing them. I'll post a review after a hunt this weekend.

Make sure you look and understand Prio Prism V Roof Prism before you buy. Kirks camera's in Ringwood ahv saxon, Bushnell and Lecia which you can review side by side. The is a power transmission line a few kilometers away. Looking at a wire join with all three was very interesting- Lecia won!

I just got back from the local camera shop after purchasing some new binos

Checked out about 8 sets and like you Im in hte low end of the price range

Checked out quite a few Tasco, Bushnell and 1 Leica and some other one I cant remember now

Basically they were all a bit ordinary, lots of dispersed light, ordinary to poor focus and this includes the Leica which clocked in at some $750. Actually I found that one the hardest to use overall, stiff and not useer freindly controls, OK focus point, OK low light.

Then I was handed a set of Pentax and they were an immediate standout, sharp and fast focus great field of view, really sharp and colourful, pulled into the dark spots well, great to handle.

They were an 8 x 40 WPII, Nitrogen filled and they cost $350 and I didnt shop around for a better price

I wear glasses so eye relief and ease of viewing was really important to me as I just cant take specs off every time I want to glass like I had to with my cheapies.

I watched a wattle bird at about 100m today in medium light conditions and I reckon with a bit of time could have given a positive ID on his breed. Colours were nice and clear, easy to pick him up and even hold the glasses with one hand

I have just got a new set ,they are Hawke . I have tried all makes and found these to be the best value , a few mates (with better paying jobs) have the big name brands and all said the extra money was a waste. My set is 8x42 .