Stitching Gear.

Gordy

Gday. I rescently put a first aid kit together for my dogs. Womens tampons and pads are good and pretty standard these days. I put some duck tape in, some epi-otic for cleaning,some cetrigen, some antibiotics. The thing I couldnt get hold of in a hurry was stitching gear. I was told by a mate from Weipa a vet told him try syringe ends for the the needle for stitching. You poke it through both sides of the cut and thread the stitch through and pull the needle back out, holding the string end and tie your knot. I havnt got hold of cat gut for deep cuts but dental floss spose to be good for outside cuts. Apparently all works good for blokes that are in the good pig country so worth a a try. I also went to a sewing shop to get some hooked needles and some small scissors and some small little tweezer things and such and some pointy nose (small, bent tip, stainless) pliers to help. All didnt cost so much and should do the job.

Hi Gordy,

I always carry a little bottle of BFI anterseptic powder in my kit, readly available at the chemist, have been useing it for years, before you close the wound

give it a liberal dose inside and then stitch. seems to heal a lot quicker with a lesser number of secondery infections, remember to leave a little bit of the wound open at the bottom so it can drain.

Cheers Martin

my kits pretty much the same, also have a long pressure bandage and some saline solution that always comes in handy for the dogs or us, interesting stitching method, our vet gave me a roll of thread and a needle after i had a bit of a whinge one day about how much they charge, lol

cheers gav