Footwear..

JUTS

I know this topic has probably been done to death and you "long time forum members" probably dont want to hear it all again but this topic is very important to me and my friends so here goes.

Having never really hunted deer before me and a couple of mates have recently really gotten into it in a big way but we have found that the footwear we are using just isnt upto scratch.

We are all pretty much wearing work style boots and I'm finding the grip and waterproofing non existent.

$$ isn't an issue as we realise that quality boots are probably the most important piece of kit you can own as sore feet end hunts really quickly.

I prefer a high boot with plenty of ankle support but dont want something that weighs a ton.

We are happy to purchase online from the states so if you guys can recommend something it would be appreciated

What are you guys using? what can you recommend us?

Take a look at the Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops sites. They have plenty to choose from. I wear Wolverines but everyone has different opinions. Also check back through the threads for all the comments on footwear.

Grant

check out Danner 8's from Vic Attard of Wild Boar Australia magazine. Good high boot, great ankle support( my ankles are buggered but i have more confidence in these boots). Very light weight, water proof. I wear them two to three times a week, during march/april/may nearly everyday out hunting, no complaints what so ever with them.

Tony

Aussie Disposals.I know,I know.I have a pair called Trail.They have the Vibram sole,and are waterproof.They are a single piece of leather,so no panelling for the water to leak through.It takes a big rainfall for them to get wet inside,or a river crossing

check out Danner 8's from Vic Attard of Wild Boar Australia magazine. Good high boot, great ankle support( my ankles are buggered but i have more confidence in these boots). Very light weight, water proof. I wear them two to three times a week, during march/april/may nearly everyday out hunting, no complaints what so ever with them.

Tony

2nd that

Fella`s I like to support Aussie business`s also and have two pair of Danner`s and they are imo superior (for high country hunting) than the Wild Deer mag jobs,the WDM boots are from memory $290 AUD ,I got my Danners online from the bargain cave for $69 USD at the time $118 AUD delivered to my door. Two bloody pair for $236 OZ

Hey the first pair were impressive so i immediately ordered another.

A couple of the AH boys are very happy with them also,but today I wore my Irish Setters!

I saw some of the boots from Cabelas and they are reasonably priced. The Only thing I would be worrired about is getting the size right.

I orderred a pair of hunting pants from Cabelas at what I thought would be my size here. But they were way to big had to get them resized ( smaller).

How did you go about matching sizing? did you just order what you usually wear?

Yes mate, I had some Timberland hiking boots I wore before that so just went on that size. The Gortex hasn't effected it at all.

You can also read the feed back on the Cabela's website and make up your mind from there.

After 20 years of wearing only Blundstones I have swapped to Blue Steel boots. If you haven't tried a pair on I would recommend it.

Comfortable and they don't get wet.

TH

I could'nt agree more, most dedicated hunting boots have soles that are too rigid and are not the best option whilst contouring steep slopes. I've been wearing Blue Steel safety boots at work and was so impressed with them that I bought a pair in the non-safety style, they retail around $175 for the Argyle style.

Just my slant on things

skeet

You have to be kidding mate...dedicated hunting boots are made for dedicated hunting ...not walking around a flat concrete factory floor.

You and the original poster are truly showing a lack of any worthwhile knowledge in posting such rubbish such as and are not the best option whilst contouring steep slopes

holy hell have you ever actually hunted in steep rough country?

I have to agree Gryph, wearing work boots in and around camp yes they are ok, but not going up and down ,contuoring a mountain hunting i have tried both blunys and steel blue, i now have 2 pairs of rocky's and my son also has a pair and we could not be happier, good ankle support warm in the cold stuff and water proof, im looking at getting a lighter boot now for summer, its a shame that the aussie market place dos't have the range of boots like the US so if you cant find a good one here go US and put a good boot on your feet ok

Question for the blokes buying boots online - if you can't try a set beforehand, how do you know they will fit?

There is of course variation in sizing between makers etc.

For example, I have two pairs of US milspec boots, my desert pattern Belleville 790's are 9's and fit good though they are quite a narrow boot. The 8.5 Altama jungle boots I have for work are maybe a tad wider and the same length fit as the Bellevilles.

A loose boot will soon chop the crap out of your heel when going up hills.

One other thing I've found annoying about some boot makers is that they think that the middle of the heel cup is a great place for a row of stitching - that soon chops the crap out of your heel no matter how well they fit. Some of the Aussie made military Combat Terra boots being a typical culprit.