Spotlight Battries

sean

Hello all

I was thinking of the same thing, battery world said it would be about $200 bucks for a battery.

So i thought about it and now have a battery out of a cheap jump starter, just pulled the battery out and it is a 17 amp 12 volt, so i cant wait to see if it works and for how long

Kartman

Hi all,

Just thought i,d add my 2 cents. I,ve got a 90 amp deep cycle battery that powers the electric motor in my boat. It weighs a ton so no chance of carrying it around. I,ve just bought a $35 trolley from Bunnings and converted it to a battery carrier with pneumatic tyres and a cradle that holds the battery and tilts when I tilt the trolley so the battery stays upright. I,m taking it away on the long weekend so i,ll see how it goes. I,ve tried it in the backyard at night and it,s easy to wheel and does,nt rattle around at all. I,m just using a cheap 55watt spotty from Supercheap that i,ve had a while and another one as backup that was $25 and is 1.5 million candlepower. Don,t know what wattage it is. Me and my 2 boys can,t wait. It,s their first trip. Hope this is of some help to someone.

Cheers, Darren.

Edited by darrenm

Hi all,

Just thought i,d add my 2 cents. I,ve got a 90 amp deep cycle battery that powers the electric motor in my boat. It weighs a ton so no chance of carrying it around. I,ve just bought a $35 trolley from Bunnings and converted it to a battery carrier with pneumatic tyres and a cradle that holds the battery and tilts when I tilt the trolley so the battery stays upright. I,m taking it away on the long weekend so i,ll see how it goes. I,ve tried it in the backyard at night and it,s easy to wheel and does,nt rattle around at all. I,m just using a cheap 55watt spotty from Supercheap that i,ve had a while and another one as backup that was $25 and is 1.5 million candlepower. Don,t know what wattage it is. Me and my 2 boys can,t wait. It,s their first trip. Hope this is of some help to someone.

Cheers, Darren.

Way too much luggage there me thinks :o

Good quality handheld, big reflector, low wattage bulb (20-30w, 55w max) and a 7 or 9ah sealed gell battery (with a spare in the car if you plan on a long night) would be much more practical. Carry a LED torch/headlamp for walking and only use the spotty when needed to save battery power.

A quality spotty with a lower wattage bulb will give you as much (or more) usable light than a 100w supercrap special at a lower power usage, which is a major factor if you need to lump the power source (battery) around with you as well.

My lightforce spotty has a 30 watt globe and beams out to 120m-ish for about 2 hours. the battery is the same size as a motorcycle battery. It came a a walkabout pack with battery, light, charger and carrypack.

A good reflector will compensate for a lower wattage globe. Thats why super cheap needs 1.5 million candle power where as mine needs 300 000 as it is a better reflector.

Beno

Hi all,

Cheers, Darren.

Dude, you need to buy a Wolf Eyes or one of the similar Eagle Tecs... So simple!

Dude, you need to buy a Wolf Eyes or one of the similar Eagle Tecs... So simple!

Yeah, I know a better spotty is more efficient on battery usage but I did,nt want to spend too much at this stage (new rifle comes first) and i already own the battery. It,s a 90 amp so I should get a few nights shooting out of it without recharging it. Plus the trolley comes in handy for a rest for my young bloke who has,nt done any shooting before. My old man made something similar for me when I was just starting out and I had a blast and nailed heaps with it. Each to their own, but for $60 all up, I,m happy. Good hunting.

Cheers, Darren.

Hello all

I was thinking of the same thing, battery world said it would be about $200 bucks for a battery.

So i thought about it and now have a battery out of a cheap jump starter, just pulled the battery out and it is a 17 amp 12 volt, so i cant wait to see if it works and for how long

Kartman

for a 12V 17 Amp Hour battery, price should be around the $40 to $50 mark, not $200. So maybe they quoted you for something way bigger??!!

even a 12V 17AH is heavy to carry, 12V 9AH is a good size to weight ratio.

When I was slinging a new battery in my ute a few months back I was talking to the bloke about those sealed gel batteries, and if they would be OK to run a hand held spotty off. My light is a Lightforce 140 Lance with a 75W globe - he said one of the smaller ones would do it no probs, with a good couple of hours burn time. The battery he showed me was quite small and slim, and of course can't leak. I can't remember now what brand it was.

There are ways of working out the run time of a given battery with a given globe setup, IIRC Stalker might have mentioned it here once.

Anyway, now I just use my LED torch setup, so don't worry about lugging batteries and bulky lights around, and it's fine for rimfire ranges

Install a 12v dimmer between the battery and spotlight.

Or

Change the globe in the spotlight to a different wattage.

You need to be careful with the type of dimmer, because if it just dissipates the power and gets hot, it will still be wasting power. Sure it works in dimming the light, but whatever power doesn't go to the light, just gets absorbed by the dimmer, so there is very little power saving... You are better off changing the globe to a lower wattage...