Websites To Purchase Binoculars

If anyone knows of some websites that sell binoculars post them in here and ill add them to the list.

Reason being, im going to be buying some by the end of the year and want a decent pair without spending thousands. I had a look through a heap of them at my local LGS today and there is a noticeable difference between the brands.

The Leupold 8x42 and 10x42 where ok. The optics where nice to look through but the actual bino felt a little small to hold. Not a fan of them. They where around the $600AU

Bushnell are much the same as above....

Then I went up a notch to the Swarovski.... Wow, just Wow haha I tried the 7x42 and they are super clear. Amazing how much better they are, even in daylight. At around the $1300AU mark.... Sooooo nice to hold.

Also had a look at the Zeiss @ $3000.... no noticeable difference from the Swarovski. Bloody nice.

Its a shame they are far out of my budget. I would find it really hard to hand over that sort of money for a pair of binoculars.

After doing a little research, im leaning towards the Steiner predator 10x40..... I have not looked through them but they are made in Germany, which is a good start in my book. I thought they would be to big, but after holding a similar sized porro prism pair they feel real nice to hold, better than the roof prism IMO.

Actually, Rono? After your hunt you just had how did you find them?

Anyhow, the list of Sites below:

http://www.theopticzone.com/

http://www.4scopes.com/

http://www.cabelas.com

http://www.basspro.com

http://www.opticsplanet.com/

Adeliade gun shop

Burris

Camera land

Just purchased Steiner predators 10x40..... Rono, if they are no good, dont tell me its to late! haha

$276US delivered... so about $320AU or something

Ill compare them to the Nikon Monarch 8x42 as they are also in the mail. Dad bought the nikons, I bought the Steiners. The Nikons where $308 delivered. Should have them both in a week or two :)

Well I now have the Nikon 8x42 and the Steiner 10x40. I have used them both for a few days now.

The first thing I liked with the Steiners was the made in germany mark...... Nikon..... made in China

Not that it matters... they are both great.

Its very noticeable how much extra light the Nikons let in. They are alot brighter. But I would say thats got to do with the extra 2mm objective and the lower 8x magnification.

Both produce a extremely clear image. Cant fault them.

The Steiners feel MUCH better to hold. And the auto focus is fantastic. I wish they all had auto focus.

Nikons focus as close as 2m away..... where as the Steiners only go as close as about 10m. But who needs them that close anyway.

Both are fantastic. I would buy either again for the price. I really like the 10x for that extra 'punch' at long distance. But the 8x is WAY brighter, so if you do alot of dusk/dawn glassing get 8x or 7x magnification.

Well I now have the Nikon 8x42 and the Steiner 10x40. I have used them both for a few days now.

The first thing I liked with the Steiners was the made in germany mark...... Nikon..... made in China

Not that it matters... they are both great.

Its very noticeable how much extra light the Nikons let in. They are alot brighter. But I would say thats got to do with the extra 2mm objective and the lower 8x magnification.

Both produce a extremely clear image. Cant fault them.

The Steiners feel MUCH better to hold. And the auto focus is fantastic. I wish they all had auto focus.

Nikons focus as close as 2m away..... where as the Steiners only go as close as about 10m. But who needs them that close anyway.

Both are fantastic. I would buy either again for the price. I really like the 10x for that extra 'punch' at long distance. But the 8x is WAY brighter, so if you do alot of dusk/dawn glassing get 8x or 7x magnification.

Hi, Worm, as per your link on your topic Binocular Basics the brightness you get is a direct result of the " exit pupil " and not so much the magnification alone.

The larger the exit pupil the better the light gathering quality.

To get the exit pupil size you divide the objective lens by the magnification and the result is the exit pupil measurement.

There is a bit more to it but from my understanding thats pretty well the way it is.

e.g 8 x 42 = 42 div by 8 = 5.25 exit pupil

10 x 40 = 4.00 exit pupil

10 x 50 = 5.00 exit pupil

So the 10 x 50`s will be almost equal to the 8 x 42`s for light gathering quality plus having the "punch"

Downside,a bit bigger and heavier.

7 x 50`s give you a great exit pupil of 7.14 but lack a bit in power and are quite chunky due to the 50mm objective lense.

The Steiner 8 x 30`s I just bought only have an exit pupil of 3.75, but for my older eyes, a much larger exit pupil is not a great advantage to me,plus their compact size makes them pretty well what I was after.

All of this is explained in the link you provided, it just needs a bit of study.

I certainly recommend for anyone wanting to buy bino`s to have a good read.

Cheers.

Whoops, I got so carried away with explaining my new found bino knowledge that I forgot to mention that I got my Steiner Predator Pro 8x30`s from ebay USA via Jay`s Outdoor shop,well priced and delivered fairly quickly.

http://www.cameralandny.com/

Have a look at the demo list, plenty of very good bins with at reduced prices.

I haven't bought demos from this bloke but I bought a pair of Vortex from another supplier and it appeared the box had been opened and that's all. The binos didn't have any indication that they'd been handled.

Hi, Worm, as per your link on your topic Binocular Basics the brightness you get is a direct result of the " exit pupil " and not so much the magnification alone.

Exit pupil is a direct result of the Magnification and Objective lens..... which are the two things I pointed out as being the reason for better light.

"They are alot brighter. But I would say thats got to do with the extra 2mm objective and the lower 8x magnification. "

Exit pupil is a direct result of the Magnification and Objective lens..... which are the two things I pointed out as being the reason for better light.

"They are alot brighter. But I would say thats got to do with the extra 2mm objective and the lower 8x magnification. "

Sorry Worm,quite right you are, you certainly did point out the two contributing factors re good light gathering.

I only picked up on your closing sentence referring to magnification alone being what you need for good light gathering.

who can pass up Ebay...bargains ,bargains,bargains

Even have a look at your local Army disposal,they often sell,Carl Zeiss Jenna Binoculars,ex military.

im thinking about getting a pair of ex german army Hensoldt Zeiss 8x30 Fero D16 Fernglas binocular.

They sell on ebay for about $180-600 depending on the condition of binoculars.

Anyone know anything about these binoculars?

Im a big fan of anything german,even my GF is :lol:

Regards

Im in the process of getting a pair of 10x50 Vixens. Anyone had any experience with them?

i reckon you need 2 pairs of binos myself. The old mans 8x50 swaros are unbeatable to any other glass i have put them next too.. Light gathering and field of view are the real sellers in my mind. When your bush stalking you tend to use them more with the greater field of view..and hunt a bit longer with that extra light gathering ability. Tho the 8x isnt good enough when glassing bigger country and assessing trophy animals. Thats where i reckon u need a second pair of 16x. Not cheap but if your serious about your hunting it would be worth it. ..