Uhf Cb Radio Channels

Worm

yeah i have my 2 uhfs on most the time one on 40 and the other one on what ever to convoy i am travelling with usually 10. i know their is still people out their on the ham and the cb's as my mates dad is amssivly into them. i also used to have a cb in my last car as it cam ein it and was to lazzy to remove it. worked well and good for when u went to a really popular place like stocton beach switch to am and keep talking.

Have a think about who might be listening too, you'd be surprised. When trying to pick a channel for our use when setting up the base station in the house we listened to a few for a while to pick one that wasn't in use. You'd be surprised how far you can pick up someone's base station from an aerial on a roof tower.

One late afternoon not so long ago on our channel, these dudes are going off about some boar they were chasing around this hill, there were a few vehicles involved and some handhelds, we could only hear the vehicle ones cos the handhelds must have been crap or Unidens or something. We were pissing ourselves how excited they got. Just on dark, some woman gets on and says "when are you lot going to give up being silly and come back to camp, tea's ready".

Turns out they were campers on old mates place. The boar beat them.

Some time ago we were out with some mates on the place where they get permission to hunt, and they had their UHF on the property owners channel, as that morning they'd said g'day and got the gist of the place from him.

We were driving out to pay this cocky a visit that afternoon, when on the way in the 4wd we hear his neighbour call him up and say "I heard lots of shots last night down by the fence, do you have hunters on this weekend?" He gets on and says "Hunters? That's the last thing I'd call them, shooters are a poor description. I don't think I'll let them on again".

We looked at one another and they went bright red. They don't go there anymore.

As hunters, you don't talk on your hosts channel, for good reason. But it might pay to know what the neighbours, and their neighbours, channels are. Easier said than done, and word gets around.

MMM, voyeurism....

At harvest time a few years back we were doing some contract harvesting for a bloke out near Walgett. So everyone in the paddock is on the same channel and that included 3 header drivers 2 tractor drivers about 3 truckies, the cocky and a few blokes in utes at the time.

It was about 10pm and the cocky was talking to one of us when his Mrs calls him and tells him she needs him to come home as she needed to talk to him privately. The cocky replied with "Bugger that, its 18km back to the house, just go over to channel 2 and i'll talk to ya there" (Silly bugger!)

As soon as he left our channel, what do you think every truckie, header driver, tractor driver and i did? All went straight to channel 2, one of the truckies said "im going to channel 2 for a minute boys, i'll be back", we all followed. We heard by the sound of his wifes voice that it was nothing serious, she just wanted him to come home and give her a "bit of attention". ;)

as soon as they finished talking we turned back to channel 27 as fast as we could incase he tried to call one of us. :lol:

Edited by Robbo .308

Only thing is, not all sets have selcall.

Selcall - All it does is block sets that dont have your ID. You can no longer hear them, but they can still hear you. Its basicaly so you dont get a lot of useless radio chatter on your end. Its NOT a private channel system. To have a "Private Channel" requires proprity (OEM) channels (Freq's) to be installed and that needs approval.

The ONLY way to get private comms is to have a unit that can use encryption. The Icom 400 Pro can do this if you buy one of two add-on cards. One card is basic encryption and the other does a rolling code.

Private channels can be listened to by using a scanner. Don't even need to know the freqs if you are close enough with a current model scanner due to the "close call" feature.

CTCSS and DCS will mute/ignore all transmissions that don't match the set code. Good if some idiot keeps playing music over the CB. You and your mates turn on CTCSS and you only hear each other.

SELCAL comes from HF radio days when static noise only pi$$ed people off. The radio mutes ALL transmissions. When it hears it's SELCAL code, it turns the speaker back on. You can hear who ever called you plus you can hear the idiot with his music.