Hunters Element, Mahkor, Or Eberlestock

shet111

Hi all

Looking at purchasing a pack for some back pack hunting and could use anyone's advice or opinion on the matter.

I am tossing up between Hunters element, Eberlestock or Mahkor... does anyone here have one of these if so how do they go?

Im looking at 75 liter. Also if anyone knows where to get em cheap that would be great or even if anyone has a second hand one in good nick they don't use..

Kind Regards

Shet :D

Hi this one is not on your list but I have a Macpac Cascade 75L which is expandable to about 85L

It has been with me on many mountain hunts to NZ since the early 1990's and its the best pack I have ever used for backpack hunting where you have to carry everything in on your back for a 4 or 5 hour tramp for a 5 day hunt

The pack harness system is designed for carrying heavy loads for a long period of time

The pack harness system comes in different sizes to suit the height of the walker

I have the old style pack - I think they changed it around 2007 to a different harness system

The old system is better

The top two links are for the old style pack and the last link is the new style pack

The old style packs do come up for sale 2nd hand occaisonally and if in good nick are certainly worth buying as they were very well made

http://www.productreview.com.au/showitem.php?item_id=42776

http://www.moontrail.com/macpac-cascade.php

http://shop.lonelyplanet.com/Primary/Produ...earch-shoplinks

When I went through this process I eliminated Eberlestock because they are too heavy. The brand I chose is not on your list - Kifaru. Expensive but quality & design are great in my opinion. Do you definitely need a hunting backpack (e.g. quiet fabric)? If not, then there are a huge array of backpacking packs that may be better choices.

Ian

Mine is a Hunters Element. It is bloody brilliant. Light, strong, heaps of features. $$$ Though but hey, that's deer hunting for ya!!

I have just recently purchased a Badlands Superday pack, it had gone out on a couple of hunts and i have nothing but praise to say about it. It is a 35 litre pack, but they do make packs in the size that you are looking for. The best asset of the superday is the support and ventilation component. This allows the pack to sit comfortably on your back while allowing some airflow. It contains an internal hydration pocket along with plenty of separate compartments so that you can store all your accessories, there is also a rifle support system on the back if you need to strap the rifle to your pack.

All in all good money spent. It was bought from the US on Ebay at a fraction of the price you would be charged for the same product in Aus.

Badlands packs

i know my sister has a macpak and she is an out door education guide thing and i mean in the middle of season she is out hiking for 4 days a week for 2 or 3 months at a time and she is yet to complain about this backpack she has about some in the past. this pack is also very heavy over 20kg easy.

You blokes that backpack hunt. Do you hunt with the backpack that you take in or do you take a day pack in as well and then leave the big one at base camp?

Im considering buying a camo job backpack from the hunter brands mentioned but I reckon you can get cheaper ones that are for hiking rather than hunting.

Trekka's got a sale on Sitka 45 bivy (74lt) at the moment

http://www.trekkaoutdoors.com.au/Products/...tka_Gear.html#2

dont have one myself ,yet. But I'm led to belive they're a very versitile pack

I know some bowhunters who spend a lot of time in the Vic alps chasing sambar who swear this is the best pack they have ever used. At that price you would be mad to pass on it.

Mate, thats about 500% to small for backpack hunting!

Use the arrows Luke Use the arrows.

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

The idea was to have a look at all the packs.

Edited by Leper