Range Finder Who Uses One?

I have a pair of 8x42 Leica Geovids with the rangefinder built in but they are for sale. (Hint hint)

A mate has just brought a new Leupold RX1000TBR and it's bloody tiny and works really well.

I don't hunt sambar though so cannot comment on that front.

The general consensus of opinion is that the Bushnell elite 1500 is the best of them all,yes even better than the swaro,leica etc the B has the brush mode that allows you to see into the bush..####n fantastic!

I have this unit myself but I had no idea they were so well perceived until after i bought it a couple of years ago and read some reviews of the lot of them..and was very chuffed to see that I had bought the best....hard to believe that the B`s are aarse kickers eh?

One thing with a RF is that it is a real truth seeker in that 99% of us all in reality havent a clue as to what an accurate (within say 10 m`s) answer is to distance... they come into their own on across gully distances and will actually flabbergast you when you compare your range with its answer. We guesstimate..they tell the truth!

I also have the Bushnell Elite 1500 and have no complaints. I was using it on Friday afternoon alongside a Leica in light rain and it was giving consistent readings over 600 yards. It works in fog, rain and under the spotlight.

It is also a hell of a lot cheaper than some of the other brands

When hunting in bushveld area, even using some curved trajectory rifles like a muzzle loader, I never needed one. Then I moved to the FreeState = grassveld = long shots. A client 'donated' his Bushnell YardagePro. It works great to measure the distance to a shed to 600 or more yards. However a springbuck is just to 'small' at 300 yards to get a reading from.

Now, thanks to another American client, I have a Nikkon ProStaff 550. This works well on springbuck up to well beyond the 400 yards or so that I'm prepared to take a shot at.

I don't know the term, but the 'target area' for a reliable reading is critical if using one in very open area for long shots. For bow&arrow ranging ist seems anything will work. For shots beyond abot 200 yards on smaller animals you need a higer specification range finder in the 'target area' at distance. It helps me very little to know that I'm exactly 746 yards from a 10yards wide 3yards high solid white-walled shed. I need to know how much beyond 300 meters a springbuck is.

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

The rangefinder I DON'T recommend is the Leupold RX-III. The optics are very poor, even in bright light conditions and the laser is temperamental at taking readings. :angry: Made in China by Green River.

The Bushnell 1200 Legend ARC would be my preference today. I've seen the superseded model, the 1500 Elite, in action – brilliant. Made in Japan.

i have the leupold RXIV and would not recomend them it works ok out to 500mtrs but thats it and even then you might have to take a couple of goes at it to get that. dont find the clarity too bad though, long story short if i was to buy another one i would not buy the leupy love there rifle scopes though.

We have a Leupold RB800 which is an 8x binocular with rangefinder, but if you see these don't buy them!

A mate has a set too, and in both of them after a few years the electronics have failed. They constantly say that there is a flat battery in them, no matter how many new ones you get. So it won't let you take a reading.

Warranty? Yeah no good, the electronics don't have a lifetime warranty, only the optics. So a big kick in the guts and $800 down the drain, all that's left is a Chinese binocular with no focus.

Whereas the US made Leupold scopes kick arse and are bumb proof, the chinese made Leupold stuff is basically SH1T.

Two out of two failures is enough for me, with no warranty recourse. So by the sounds, a Bushy Elite is the next on the list.

If you buy a Leupold rangefinder today and it's Land Of Chinese, better get some use out of it before it sh1ts itself.

I had a Bushnell Elite 1500 which I ended up selling.

No issues with the rangefinder, worked well way past what I would shoot at. Bit bulky though. The optics were not great though in low light.

The new Leupold RX 1000TBR model I have looked through and the optics over the Bushnell 1500 were a lot clearer/brighter and I do like the TBR function.