Hunting Boots Quality

Worm

Well after a few months of wearing my boots they are starting to fall apart. Wolverine, camo, gore-tex job. They are super comfortable and grip well. They where very water proof at the beginning but now my feet get wet. Walked around wet grass for a day and my feet where soaked.

The soul is becoming unstuck at places and where my toes pivot just under where the laces stop, a hole is appearing.

Yet, my dads full leather, 25yr old boots that have done some serious miles are still going strong......

Im not convinced all this new technology is as good as its made out to be. I have another pair of Irish setter, will see how they last. IF they are going to fall apart it will be sooner rather than later as I wear them to work every day.

Looking at the few pairs we have at home, the new gore-tex style boots have alot of stitching all over the joint, which could be seen as weak spots (IMO) where as the leather ones have alot less. A single piece of leather is not going to fall apart like stitched together gore-tex.

I think my next pair will be full leather.

Anyone else have any LONG TERM experiences with new and old boots?

I looked at yours the other day and didnt think a great deal of them lee,they just looked more of a sneaker type than a full on boot,I`m currently wearing IS gore tex and they are rippers,some of my Rockys are piiss poor and some are very good.

Buying from a catologue is hard at times without the gear to inspect and it is a punt and thats why i only buy when they drop the prices to buggery...dont want to pay full on when they turn out to be ordinary.

How long you had em..try contacting and sending them, back mate,you never know.

Yeah, it is a bit of a punt. Funny how even boots from the same maker can be good and bad, makes it very difficult. Will stick with the clearance items also, but try different brands. Ill wear theses ones out until nxt season now its a bit drier and pick up some new ones before the dollar drops for nxt yr.

Hoy Worm I just bought a pair of these but in 600 gram thinsulate not the 1000 pictured here...50 bucks mate can you believe it??????So i jumped on them,one of the lads on Nedsa Posted the link on Satdy.

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0047590812769a.shtml

Item Unit Price Qty. Shipping Method &

Delivery Date Add'l

Shipping

Charges Item Total

IRISH SETTER MOUNTAIN CLAW XT 600-GRAM HUNTING BT 9 1/2 EE MOSSY OAK BREAK-UP

Item number: OG - 812768

$49.88 1

Shipped-10/16/09

$49.88

I've got a pair of Rockport boots that I bought in the mid '90s (while in the US). They've hiked a few miles over the years (Aus, Nepal, and Kokoda in '05) and the gore-tex lining is still working fine.

They're a high ankle boot because my ankles are cactus - and they've always caught me before I've twisted anything when a rock has moved (or whatever).

They're looking a little tired now but still far from falling apart. I've looked around for a replacement set but have never seen anything over here. I doubt I paid as little as AU$75 even back then for them though!!

I doubt they make boots like these anymore though! It'll be a sad day when they get retired. Might have to get them bronzed or something!

I received a free pair of Irish Setters from Cabela's and gave them to a mate as they were 2 sizes to small and he LOVES them!

The are they same as the ones Worm was selling in the classifieds a while ago.

As for sizing i have always ordered my US shoe size and they have fit without any issues at all. Just check existing shoes for US size, that's what i do.

I've been looking at the IS boots at Cabelas and was wondering how important the insulation is for general wear, I do a fair bit of walking and having only just started int he sport don't really chase larger game too much as yet. I was looking at 400 - 600 thinsulate and wanted some feedback on the necessity of it.

Cheers Steve

Thats a tough one Steve. I HATE hot feet. If you dangle your feet out the side of the bed like me you will probably hate insulation. I have one pair of uninsulated boots, with thick socks, and my feet never got cold. Granted, I was never in thick snow. But I was in slight snow cover a few times. I now use a 200gram insulate pair of boots for work and my feet are always very warm.

I will always buy uninsulated unless a low insulation pair are at a good price. A few blokes on here have 1000gram insulation and like them..... although I reckon they are just saying that haha