Hid Conversion Kits For Lightforce Spotlights

Curly1

I will be watching this post as I have been considering doing the same thing but don't know much about it. They are meant to be very good to use ??

I have the same light but in the 240

I've been thinking of getting a kit too. I have converted the lights on the car and the HID's are sensational.

I just have to find some spare cash to get a kit for my SL170. Once I do I will be upgrading that too. It might not be until Jan or Feb before that happens though.

I bought 2 kits for my car, a H7 kit and a H1 kit. They were $79.95 each. I converted my cars high beam globes (H7) and its driving lights (H1).

Since the SL170 uses the "Light-Force" globes, there are two ways to go.

Option one:

Buy a kit made for the Light-Force light (which costs more) to convert one spotlight.

Option two:

Buy a globe conversion kit (about $25 up to $55) that allows you to use standard "H" series globes in a Light-Force light. Then you just buy a standard HID kit of that globe type, eg H3.

The second option would be about 25-30% cheaper than the Light-Force specific kit. Replacement globes would be easier to get too. Plus you can convert two lights with option two.

Here's the complete kit as per my option "one" above:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HID-KIT-FOR-LIGHTFO...=item27acb7709c

For option "two":

Here is an adapter kit for the SL170:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Lightforce-170s-Spo...=item2557938e33

And another one:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Lightforce-Upgrade-...=item2ea84f1535

A 35W HID kit from the place I got my kits from:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

If you buy the adapters and a kit like the one above, you could convert 2 spotlights.

I don't think so. No more than standard halogen globes do. In fact the searingly bright beam might even disorientate and confuse them more.

thanks epitome, you recon its worth it. Don't know if ZI can shoot to the end of the beam as is, but I presume you can widen your beam to see more. Does it scare the roos and bunnies anymore

I've got a HID torch that I've taken out to spotlight bunnies.

Let me tell you... It scared the daylight out of bunnies. I've gone back to the same area with a conventional spotlight and the bunnies seemed more at ease with the halogen light.

I think they're just not used to the temperature of the light (around 8K I think)

Marz

The eye colour should stay the same, I think.

Halogen globes are usually around 2500K to 3000K. HID's start at 4000K and go up from there all the way to 10000k+. But the 4000K and 6000K HID lights are best.

Real HID's colour start at 4300K (OEM) and there are also 5000K (Diamond White).

China made globes are 'Modified' so colour ranges go higher 6000K (Blue White), 8000K (Blue) 10000K (Blue Purple) and 12000K (Purple)

4300K will give the the brightest light output.

5000K is still up there in brightness

But as the colour Temp in Kelvin (K) goes up the lumens (brightness) drops and where 8000K to 12000K globes can be less than or equal to a quality halogen brightness!

Stick to 4300K (or 5000K if you can get them)

Does the different light change the reflecting light from their eyes at all? Or would the colour stay the same?

If you are asking that the different HID light colour changes the eye colour of animals... probably not - but I Would not be spotlighting with 8000K HID's !!!

I just converted my SL240 and RM240's to HID.

I haven't had a chance to take them into the field yet but it lights up a whole house 400m away! :-)

There is a noticeable difference in colour and light pattern in the ebay vs Lightforce kits.

I will be field testing in a few weeks and will update.

I have also done mine with the eBay kit.

The pattern is fiddly to get right and very, very bright in the center.

Let us know how you go ultrabat and I'll also report in when I get out in a few weeks.

Will be interested in the ebay v/s lightforce HID kit's compared.

Looks good in suburbia though, Should have done a check of the old globe before I did the conversion but oh well, The field results will do the most talking for me.

I just bought the H3 globe adapter kit and a 4300k 35W HID kit from ebay. I'll be converting both my SL170 and my cheap $15 Auto shop spot lights.

Fortunately the cheapy light has a 55W H3 globe in it. So that means I can convert it with the HID kit and using one of the two H3 adapters, I can also convert my SL170.

Not bad for $55 for the adapter kit (with 2 adapters in it) and $70 for the HID kit, which has 2 globes and 2 ballasts in the it.

My kits arrived in the post yesterday.

Hopefully, I'll be able to convert at least one of the lights by this weekend.