Hid Conversion Kits For Lightforce Spotlights

Curly1

I just got back from a few days away and tried the RM240 and Lightforce HID kit. Works very very well.

One point is that it is so bright that you sometimes do not pick up the eyes but the whole animal. You pick up the eyes with the scope i think the light is just so bright that the eyes don't always shine back. The light also cuts the air very well even with abit of dust about.

Range is pretty clear out to 500 meters naked eye and 700/800 meters via scope.

I will now be converting my driving spotlights on my ute it was so good!

I didn't end up using the handheld 240 with the ebay kit but will for next time.

I will now be converting my driving spotlights on my ute it was so good!

I'm not surprised. I have gone the opposite way. I converted the headlights and driving lights on the car and am now converting my handheld spot lights.

I completed the first one today. I did the cheapy $15 auto shop light first. I think I'll name it "Frankenstein". LOL

I'll try it out tonight. I tried it in the shed today and in broad daylight it was very strong. I'm not going shooting tonight, but will see what it's like after dark.

The conversion was fairly straight forward. I'll take some pics and post up later.

Ok. Here's a couple of pics of Frankenstein!

HIDlightsideview.jpg

HIDlightrearview.jpg

I just tried it out and it lit up an entire gum tree over 200m away. Remember this is a 35 watt 4300K HID kit.

The beam is a bit too wide now. I might try putting a washer or two under the globe to pull it back a bit and focus the beam more.

Yeah. I'm looking forward to trying it out too and comparing it to my Lightforce SL170, which is yet to be converted.

Hi guys

I got back from a 3 night trip with about 15 hours in total spent behind the Lightforce 240 that I did the ebay conversion to HID on.

Overall very very happy with it, I was a little concerned about some shading in the beam that I noticed at home from the reflector as the globe sits a bit further out in the light. Also it looked a bit critical for focus as to where you had the light screwed to.

Anyway in field performance was awesome, The center of the beam is so so clearly lit and even the side light it throws out was good enough for me to shoot a few running hogs that passed the center of the beam by about 15 meters (at about 150 meters range but the Kahles scope helps a lot to) The bounce back or reflection off critters eyes is very bright. Best of all was the clarity of the white light, It's almost like a daylight image through the light.

Funny thing was some critters in the light when looking through the scope at them you can even see them blinking and imagine there thoughts along the lines of "Bloody hell thats bright".....

All in all it's the best light I have used to date.

Since the SL170 uses the "Light-Force" globes, there are two ways to go.

Option one:

Buy a kit made for the Light-Force light (which costs more) to convert one spotlight.

Option two:

Buy a globe conversion kit (about $25 up to $55) that allows you to use standard "H" series globes in a Light-Force light. Then you just buy a standard HID kit of that globe type, eg H3.

The second option would be about 25-30% cheaper than the Light-Force specific kit. Replacement globes would be easier to get too. Plus you can convert two lights with option two.

i note that the two options are about the same price now (option one selling for $130+post and option two for $70+post+$60+post)

so the benefit of option two is two ballasts and globes with easily sourced replacements. no idea what sort of globe the option1 is using..

<edit> so the cost of the upgrade is at least as expensive as the initial cost of the spotlight itself!

Edited by assailant

HIDlightrearview.jpg

Hey Fellas

Can the 'box' be mounted further down the line or does the bulb sit right behind it?

Was thinking if possible, to mount the box down the line further, so it would sit near the battery out of harms way etc??

The thick lead you see on my light that comes out of the ballast box and goes into the bottom of the handle is the lead from the ballast to the globe. You can get 500mm extension leads off eBay fairly cheaply, which could be used to keep the ballast remote from the light.

However, bear in mind that there is approximately 23,000 volts flowing from the ballast to the globe. By doing it that way I was able to keep it all self contained.

You could go that way if you wanted to. Just buy the extension leads. I'm not sure though if there is a maximum length they will work at.

i note that the two options are about the same price now (option one selling for $130+post and option two for $70+post+$60+post)

so the benefit of option two is two ballasts and globes with easily sourced replacements. no idea what sort of globe the option1 is using..

<edit> so the cost of the upgrade is at least as expensive as the initial cost of the spotlight itself!

By going the way I did, I basically got 2 kits for the price of one. So I could convert 2 spotlights for the cost of one of the "Lightforce only" kits.

I'm guessing the "option 1" kit has a globe designed to fit the Lightforce lights.

I paid $82.40 landed at my door for the HID kit and $64.50 landed at my door for the Lightforce globe conversion kit. So the total was $146.90 and that will convert 2 spotlights.

Hi guys

I got back from a 3 night trip with about 15 hours in total spent behind the Lightforce 240 that I did the ebay conversion to HID on.

Overall very very happy with it, I was a little concerned about some shading in the beam that I noticed at home from the reflector as the globe sits a bit further out in the light. Also it looked a bit critical for focus as to where you had the light screwed to.

Anyway in field performance was awesome, The center of the beam is so so clearly lit and even the side light it throws out was good enough for me to shoot a few running hogs that passed the center of the beam by about 15 meters (at about 150 meters range but the Kahles scope helps a lot to) The bounce back or reflection off critters eyes is very bright. Best of all was the clarity of the white light, It's almost like a daylight image through the light.

Funny thing was some critters in the light when looking through the scope at them you can even see them blinking and imagine there thoughts along the lines of "Bloody hell thats bright".....

All in all it's the best light I have used to date.

Awesome dude.

Well done.

You're obviously happy with the result.

However, bear in mind that there is approximately 23,000 volts flowing from the ballast to the globe. By doing it that way I was able to keep it all self contained.

Sorry to pester.. but could you use this set up in fog or light rain? do you know the ampage?

The cable from the ballast to the globe, as well as the ballast itself, are fully sealed. So you should be safe. The amperage will be minuscule, as the power draw of the ballast is only 35 Watts. So at 12 Volts it is drawing 2.9 Amps. On the output side is only something like 0.0015 amps at the fore mentioned 23,000 volts and 35 watts.