G'day All I Need Advice On A Good Hunting Flashlight

GUTTY

Has anyone shot any foxes using the led lenser mounted to the gun just out of interest?

yes, i have 2 ledlensers and use them as rifle mounts for shooting bunnies and foxes. A T series 'hocus focus' which I used for 4 years and a new P7 and they are both excellent torches and will do the job, BUT,

they aren't regulated and the beam the P7 throws isn't as narrow as some of the torches blokes here are recommending. It's hard to explain but having too much light spread over a wider area seems to wash out the picture so if there is a bunny in long grass you tend to loose the eye shine in the light being reflected back off the grass and all you see in the scope picture is grass.. A narrower beam would be better under those conditions. The range of the P7 is about 80-100m max for reliable target identification and less if conditions aren't perfect.

That said, the ledlenser won't suddenly dim on you like the regulated torches do and the batteries last for ages so they make a great safety torch for cludging around the bush on those long walks back to the car or camp. On the rifle the 'easy focus' thing is a niusance so i just tape it up so it doesn't change focus when I bump it.

You wouldn't be disappointed with the P7 but as a dedicated rifle mount something else might be better..

Guy's, if you want a source of good and cheap high intensity LED flashlights this place is gold.

http://www.dealextreme.com

Most item include free shipping. They have a lot of lights using the very bright CREE XR-E R2 emitters (my favourite).

I own these flashlights from them.

SmallSun ZY-C35 Cree P4-WC 130-Lumen LED Flashlight (1*18650/3*AAA) sku. 14596

UltraFire 504B HA-III Cree R2-WC 220-Lumen LED Flashlight (1*18650/2*16340) sku. 24201

Also bought this but it's still in transit.

Romisen MXDL RC-G2 Cree Flashlight Black (1xAA) sku. 03607

A work pal bought the P7

TrustFire SSC P7 C-BIN 900-Lumen 5-Mode LED Flashlight (1*18650) sku. 13336

Another pal has a

UltraFire WF-501B Cree R2-WC 250-Lumun LED Flashlight Black (1*18650/2*CR123A) sku. 16240

They have a camo painted version too

UltraFire WF-501B Camouflaged Cree R2-WC 230-Lumen LED Flashlight with Strap (1*18650/CR123A) sku. 18843

Prices for all the above other than the SSC P7 is under $16US including free postage (true !). The SSC P7 is about $39 with free postage.

The jargon with these lights is 'hotspot' and 'spill', 'flooder' and 'thrower'.

Hotspot - The central very bright area of the beam

Spill - The surrounding area from the outside of the hotspot to the edges of the beam.

Flooder - Beam pattern with large and not distinct hotspot

Thrower - Beam that has a tight hotspot and consequently long range.

Also mentioned is colour, but that refers to the subtle tint of the LED. Pinker tints are better at revealing contrast...

For a .22 rifle the Smallsun has a nice tight hotspot that will show up a rabbit at 50m easy, and show a foxes eyes past 100m. It takes standard AAA cells as well as the popular (in LED flashlights) 18650 Lithium rechargeables. It's short and light in weight.

The Ultrafire 540B is a more recent model and has a good output (very similar to the Smallsun) but has less of a tight hotspot. The spill is better though so its a good light to chase pigs through tight scrub. Would be a great light on a shotgun.

The Trustfire SSC P7 has not got a very tight spot, more of a flooder, but it does light up a very large area more brightly than the lower power flashlights can. The hotspot is still plenty bright enough to light rabbits at 50m.

There are some other flashlights on dealextreme called 'recoil throwers' (use the search bar). These use very unique parabolic lenses and front mounted CREE LEDs. They are the ultimate for a very long throw.

Currently I use the Smallsun ZY-C35 for hunting, and the Ultrafire 504B for around the house. Both lights are bright enough to dazzle any intruder lurking around.

Cheers,

Martin

Edited by Sneezy

I have the Ultrafire recoil thrower from Deal Extreme and it throws a LONG way.

Seen here with my Eagletac T100C2:

Picture011.jpg

Business end (note that the LED is mounted just behind the lens and fires BACK into the reflector.)

Picture012.jpg

Spot at ten feet:

Picture007.jpg

Spot at about 10m:

Picture008.jpg

There is very little spill with this light - at 100m the spot is still square shaped and about 10m wide. Runtime with a single 18650 Li ion battery is easily in excess of three hours.

I have an EDI-T P4-250. It has a 250 lumen CREE LED and push pull focus. It runs on 3 AAA batteries. It is a great little torch, but the push pull focus can be knocked off of focus fairly easily. At full throw, it has a very tight beam and you see a very sharp outline of the square LED. It is a great combination torch for multiple duties.

I have one of the Ultrafire WF-008 230 lumen Recoil Thrower torches on order from Deal Extreme. It is on back order at the moment. This will become my gun mounted torch and the P$-250 will become my backup torch.

I also have a few of the nylon flashlight mounts too.

These are in addition to 3 Mag Light LED torches. 1 of the 3xAA, 1 of the 2xD and 1 of the 4xD cell models. The little AA one lives in the glove box of the car. The other two are for around the house duties.

i took a led lenser x21 1060 lumens roo shooting on the grizzly last night . a couple things noticed comparing against a normal spot light was you can pick game eyes up further out ,its a lot better light through the scope and it stopped the roos in there tracks arfter 60 wallaby were shot for the night it had a fair test out cheers bazz

Just a follow up. I received the little Romisen MXDL RC-G2 Cree Flashlight Black (1xAA) sku. 03607 from DX yesterday and am very happy with it.

It's palm sized and takes a single AA battery. It's just as bright on a NiMh rechargeable cell as it is on a new alkaline. It has nice tight hotspot and good even spill. Should get about 1 1/2 hours runtime on a 2000mAh NiMh from what I measured.

While it would be great for a airgun at night (in a farm shed shooting rats etc), it's best feature is it fits nice in a front pocket for a backup light. Power is good too, I'd say you'd see a rabbit fine at 25m.

Martin

Guy's, if you want a source of good and cheap high intensity LED flashlights this place is gold.

http://www.dealextreme.com

Most item include free shipping. They have a lot of lights using the very bright CREE XR-E R2 emitters (my favourite).

I own these flashlights from them.

SmallSun ZY-C35 Cree P4-WC 130-Lumen LED Flashlight (1*18650/3*AAA) sku. 14596

UltraFire 504B HA-III Cree R2-WC 220-Lumen LED Flashlight (1*18650/2*16340) sku. 24201

Also bought this but it's still in transit.

Romisen MXDL RC-G2 Cree Flashlight Black (1xAA) sku. 03607

A work pal bought the P7

TrustFire SSC P7 C-BIN 900-Lumen 5-Mode LED Flashlight (1*18650) sku. 13336

Another pal has a

UltraFire WF-501B Cree R2-WC 250-Lumun LED Flashlight Black (1*18650/2*CR123A) sku. 16240

They have a camo painted version too

UltraFire WF-501B Camouflaged Cree R2-WC 230-Lumen LED Flashlight with Strap (1*18650/CR123A) sku. 18843

Prices for all the above other than the SSC P7 is under $16US including free postage (true !). The SSC P7 is about $39 with free postage.

The jargon with these lights is 'hotspot' and 'spill', 'flooder' and 'thrower'.

Hotspot - The central very bright area of the beam

Spill - The surrounding area from the outside of the hotspot to the edges of the beam.

Flooder - Beam pattern with large and not distinct hotspot

Thrower - Beam that has a tight hotspot and consequently long range.

Also mentioned is colour, but that refers to the subtle tint of the LED. Pinker tints are better at revealing contrast...

For a .22 rifle the Smallsun has a nice tight hotspot that will show up a rabbit at 50m easy, and show a foxes eyes past 100m. It takes standard AAA cells as well as the popular (in LED flashlights) 18650 Lithium rechargeables. It's short and light in weight.

The Ultrafire 540B is a more recent model and has a good output (very similar to the Smallsun) but has less of a tight hotspot. The spill is better though so its a good light to chase pigs through tight scrub. Would be a great light on a shotgun.

The Trustfire SSC P7 has not got a very tight spot, more of a flooder, but it does light up a very large area more brightly than the lower power flashlights can. The hotspot is still plenty bright enough to light rabbits at 50m.

There are some other flashlights on dealextreme called 'recoil throwers' (use the search bar). These use very unique parabolic lenses and front mounted CREE LEDs. They are the ultimate for a very long throw.

Currently I use the Smallsun ZY-C35 for hunting, and the Ultrafire 504B for around the house. Both lights are bright enough to dazzle any intruder lurking around.

Cheers,

Martin

Those lights sound great Martin Ill have to keep them in mind. I just bought a nylon mount to hold my p7 on my rifle scope from deal extreme, so u found that deal extreme are good to deal with? and how long did it take to get your flashlights sent to u? cheers Greg

Edited by firefox

Thats cool mate, ill be mounting mine on the .22 or the .243

Have a look at the ledlenser bicycle mounts for the P7. I saw one for 12 bucks in the camping shop and bought it for the pushbike, but it turned out to spot on for mounting the P7 to a rifle scope as well. The way the mount is designed makes it very fast to clip the torch in and out and attaching the mount to a scope is about a 10 second job.

Have a look at the ledlenser bicycle mounts for the P7. I saw one for 12 bucks in the camping shop and bought it for the pushbike, but it turned out to spot on for mounting the P7 to a rifle scope as well. The way the mount is designed makes it very fast to clip the torch in and out and attaching the mount to a scope is about a 10 second job.

Sounds good b bear ill have to check it out. Ive just bought one online from deal extreme its a velcro nylon mount i just recieved it in the mail just a few days ago it only cost me $2.50 from hong kong i am really wrapped. Ill post a few pics soon if u like. cant wait to go fox hunting now lol

Has anyone shot any foxes using the led lenser mounted to the gun just out of interest?

yep, team it up with a button whistle and its awesome!!!! Shot 3 in 2mins with the .22 while picking up one i'd shot with the .223 from 250m'ish