Knives, Can You Have Too Many?

SamHuntVic

Should there be such a phrase as "too many knives"? I don't think so but my wife does.

So there is no point in explaining the purpose of each and the reason that one must have a varied collection to her. Here is a pic. of the ones that I could easily round up. Laid horizontally are what I would call decorative or just nice to have. The others have all been used and have a purpose. My topic title invites comments.

Grant

I use the second, third and fifth from the left consistently. The bunny knife and the next on the right were made by Wally Bidgood. Fantastic knives. The next one is the folder. Chinese knockoff of a Gerber I think but the blade can be razor sharp but needs a couple of stokes on the steel to bring it back after a only a short time. The others have all had work but never go hunting now. Worm you have a point there with the other half's accessories, but in her case it would be ear rings. Thanks for reminding me.

Regarding cheap knives. you can be lucky and pick up one which has just the right hardness of steel, by accident I'm sure. So there is a reason to collect them, you never know.

Grant

That wavy one near the top rings bells.

Is that a damascan somethingorother? Dunno why that popped into my head!

I think the word you are looking for is damascene or damascus. No it's not, its a Kris type knife from the Philipines or Malaysia I think. The one on top of that is a Sheffield bayonet for the .303. Excellent condition, 1918 I think, have the scabbard too.

Grant

nice collection you have there, liking those 3 little ones down the bottom what are they ? ?

They are 3 of 4 of a bone handled set for skinning and caping, there is another straight one in the safe. Originally from Pakistan I think. Really too small in the handle for me but would be usefull for delicate work, they keep an edge too.

Grant

I've got at least that many, if not more.

I have a few Winchester, Colt, Smith & Wesson, Remington, Leatherman, Victorinox , Ford, Dodge etc and a genuine 1960's USSR issue AK47 bayonet/knife. The bayonet is interesting as it has a metal scabbard. The knife and scabbard join together to form wire cutters.

I also have a WW1 British army issue bayonet for a SMLE. It was given to my dad by an old lady he used to work for years ago. It had belonged to her late husband.

So to answer your question, no you you can't have too many.

Here are some pics of the AK47 Bayonet:

That isn't rust on the blade, it is the original factory preserving oil.

AK47bayonet1.jpg

AK47bayonet2.jpg

AK47bayonet3.jpg

AK47bayonet4.jpg

I have at least more than a few knives myself and none of them are suitable for everything I find myself using them for , guess I'll just have to keep collecting until I get the perfect knife . My missus does not get it either.

regards Jacko

I have at least more than a few knives myself and none of them are suitable for everything I find myself using them for , guess I'll just have to keep collecting until I get the perfect knife . My missus does not get it either.

regards Jacko

Yeah Funny about that.

They just don't get it. :lol:

Im with you beno, and im glad to see im not the only bloke that has a collection, lots of home made from old saw blades. To the point i did a clean out on friday blankes and handles of huin pine into the bin, hurt but had to go. But lets get it right hunting knifes and butcher knifes, how can we part with our old favs i carry a knife with a gut hook and a pocket knife with a 3 inch scalpel blade, cut my load down in the field. I got 1 of those small ally breif cases from bunnings to hide mine in. She did a clean up took the knife, fork and spoon holder out of the draw and i was sprung, whats all this crap hiding under here for.