Uhf Channel Setup - Duplex

Natator

Ok, I have a UHF handheld radio (GME TX6100).

I am confused about how to best set it up with regards to the Duplex channels....

Channels 1 - 8: Repeater Output

Channels 31 - 38: Repeater Input

My understanding, and please correct this if wrong, is that these channels work in duplex mode, in pairs. I assume "Repeater Output" means you listen on that channel, and broadcast on the "Repeater Input" channels.

So ....

1) As far as my radio scanning goes, is there any point in having 31-38 on the list of channels being scanned, given that they are broadcast only channels?

2) The radio lets me set certain channels to be Duplex (not sure exactly what this affects, other than "dup" lights up on the display ;). Should I therefore set all the channels listed above to being duplex?

The destruction manual is just vague enough to not quite give me all the info I need.

Anyone know about these things?

Ok, I have a UHF handheld radio (GME TX6100).

I am confused about how to best set it up with regards to the Duplex channels....

Channels 1 - 8: Repeater Output

Channels 31 - 38: Repeater Input

My understanding, and please correct this if wrong, is that these channels work in duplex mode, in pairs. I assume "Repeater Output" means you listen on that channel, and broadcast on the "Repeater Input" channels.

So ....

1) As far as my radio scanning goes, is there any point in having 31-38 on the list of channels being scanned, given that they are broadcast only channels?

2) The radio lets me set certain channels to be Duplex (not sure exactly what this affects, other than "dup" lights up on the display ;). Should I therefore set all the channels listed above to being duplex?

The destruction manual is just vague enough to not quite give me all the info I need.

Anyone know about these things?

Gidday,

The bold bit is the other way round you transmitt on the output channel, recieve on input, can't remember wheather chan 1-8 was trans or 30-38 but book should say.

In addition chan 1-8 will only work in duplex mode when you set it to "duplex" otherwise you will just send and recieve on the same channel (1-8)

Hope that helps.

P.S. 1 post till 3 hungy yay!

edit post: sorry mate just re-read your post yer you were right about repeater input/output.

Edited by goswasere'

In addition chan 1-8 will only work in duplex mode when you set it to "duplex" otherwise you will just send and recieve on the same channel (1-8)

Thanks for that :)

But do I just set channel 1-8 to duplex, or should I also set 31-38 as duplex as well?

But as 31 - 38 are the other half of those channels, as it were, wouldn't they have to be set to duplex as well?

Na mate pretty sure when you set 1-8 on duplex those channels are automaticly assigned, then if you flick to 31-38 and use them they will be in simplex mode.

only 1-8 can be put in duplex.

FYI there is also lists on the web somewhere that has a list of repeater stations and there locations, and as repeater stations can only repeat 1 or 2 channels what areas to use what channel on duplex.

No worries mate, ya gotta do what you gotta do, if we all sat infront of the computa all day we wouldn't get to shoot anything ay! ;)

Or, as it sadly seems, if you sit infront of a computer all day you have to work rather than play on the internet ;)

Yep press the Duplex button while on channels 1 to 8 and the CB will automatically transmit on the corresponding channels of 31 to 38.

The repeater station picks up the the upper channel and re-transmits on the lower station. So if on channel 2, your CB transmits on CH 2 and CH 32, when set for Duplex. The repeater will pick up the CH 32 signal and re-transmit on CH 2 to extend your range.

Wikipedia page on UHF CB Channel's

How to use UHF repeater stations

Repeater Station Locations by state

To clarify what was said.

In simplex mode your radio will transmit on ch2 and receive ch2. In duplex (repeater) mode your radio will transmit ch32 and receive ch2.

Yes, scan all channels. Two reasons. You may be in range the the guy transmitting the signal, but not in range of the repeater. You only hear half of his conversation, but half is better then nothing.

And when there's no repeater in range, these channels are used as simplex channels.

Worse really is when there IS a repeater in range, channels 31-38 still get used as simplex channels, while everyone on ch 1-8 hear the full conversation and have no way of being able to tell the idiots about the repeater.

Some radios have a repeater search feature (both my Icoms have this), but you can do the same thing manually. Select a channel (ch1-8), select duplex and then press the PTT button. If you hear a short click over the speaker there is a repeater in range of your radio. If not, use simplex or choose a different repeater channel.

Also, some special channels.

Official (ie, you can be fined for misuse)

Ch5 - Emergency use only (note, Ch35 is the repeater half and as such ALSO emergency use only).

Ch11 - Calling channel. Make initial contact, then change channels.

Unofficial

Ch10 - 4x4 (I also use it when hunting).

Ch18 - Caravans/Campers "Grey Nomads".

Ch28 - Truck channel for the Pacific Hwy.

Ch40 - Truck channel for all other hwys.

Ch40 - Idiots channel for all major cities!

Ch40 - Idiots channel for all major cities!

You've got that right mate. When ever I go to the city, I hear all sorts of wa%kers playing CD's or whatever on CH40.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: