Uhf Portable Radio

Pitcha

Icom IC-41S. It's a lot of money, but it's worth it.

I use both a Vertex Standard and an Icom VHF on the airport and the Icom is just better.

It fits better in the hand (ie, tall and skinny compared to short and fat) and I like the squelch on the Icom. The Vertex squelch just can't be tuned in right. Ie, it'll pick up local noise so you adjust the squelch, but then a base station transmitting nearby has trouble opening the squelch. The Icom is just perfect, it kills the local noise and still picks up faint distant aircraft.

The airband radios are different to the UHF CB's, but the product lines are similar in the way they are constructed.

Also, the Icom IC-41S isn't just a CB, it's based on a commercial radio and can be reprogrammed to use the commercial band with 128 channels (assuming you have the licences to do so).

I bought a GME TX6100 a few weeks ago. Its a 5 watt model same as the ones you put in your car. Battery lasts about 24hr while scanning. You can change it to 1 watt if you are close by others with a radio to save power. It comes with a separate microphone, so you attach the radio to you belt and the mic can sit on your shoulder like you see the cops do. It comes with a car charger and a desk charger all for $265. The bloke at the shop said in ideal conditions (flat country) you could send and receive from up to 10-13km on the 5 watt setting. And its Australian made.

+1

I have one of these and it is an excellent radio and very well made.