Uhf Handheld Radios

Can anyone tell me whether the brand GME of UHF Handheld Radios is any good? Has anyone used these?

Would a 2 or 3 watt model be adequate for communication of up to 5km distance, with terrain that is very bushy, rocky with ridges of about 200m in height?

Or can anyone suggest a good system?

Can anyone tell me whether the brand GME of UHF Handheld Radios is any good? Has anyone used these?

Would a 2 or 3 watt model be adequate for communication of up to 5km distance, with terrain that is very bushy, rocky with ridges of about 200m in height?

Or can anyone suggest a good system?

gme is a good brand and the higher watts the better,but in that terrain it,s probably 2-3 ks line of site

3 watt costs $190 per unit. If you get a set it costs $229. The 5 watt costs $262 per unit. There is no 2 set available. So the 5 watt is quite a bit dearer. Wanna work out if the 3 watt will do the trick.

yer thats a good make but heaps of good uhf on the market now.

5Wat is the go girl, i use Puxing 5 watt got em off ebay.

They came with everything lighter plug charger you name it, and they work when others dont.

if your going to invest in a radio or 2 then get good stuff, and get 5 watt, i also got a base antenna to go with mine, so in camp you can use your car as a base station.

it also lets you know whats going on when there are a few guys out there in the field.

As for range, hard to say it was hilly last time i used them but knowing where the guys were in guessing well over 3 ks in the hills.

Im happy with them and they came out of SA.

Look into them, been quite a few posts on uhf on here, might be worth reading back through them.

Puxing are not expensive or they wernt,

i personally hunt with 1 watt hand helds. they are 5 k's line of site according to the experts. but in trth i get 2 or 3 k's line of sight. however i have a 5 watt one in my car which has a bigger ariel which makes all the difference. these are all GME. i would get the 3 watt hand held packs and then get a car mounted one when u can. it all depends on what u intend to use them for. i use mine a little when i am hunting with mates but very rarly use it. if u are planing to go huntingt alone and want it in emergencies well even a 5 watt might not help u at the bottom of a gully. if it is for an emergency an epirb or a SPOT may be a better option. but if u want to talk to people back at the car if u go for a short walk over the top of a ridge then the 3 wattts would do. also with a car kit the bigger arial ppicks up weaker signals and transmits better.

We want it for a number of purposes.

Main thing is staying in touch with whoever is back at base.

Mobs obviously don't work out there.

Also hubby gets worried when I ride out for a couple of hours on my own, so he wants to be able to stay in touch.

Once again this would be mainly back to base, unless he decided to go bush bashing in the meantime.

However, after 5km we'd lose contact anyway.

Part of our place is VERY steep! Because of this, most of the walking is done high up on the ridge.

From what you are saying, I guess, if we decided to go into the gorge below, we might lose contact.

Sounds like 5 watts will be the go.

I have a GME TX6100. It is a 5 Watt unit and I couldn't be happier with it.

Only thing I don't like is that a spare battery is a ridiculous price, so I use a car recharger.

I would definitely go 5 Watt, you'll not regret the extra power but might regret not having it at some point.

Bough them. GME TX 6100. Two hand held units. 5watts. Normally $339 per unit. My hubby saw them cheaper on RYDA.com . Went to Anaconda and they price matched + 10%. The whole lot for $473 (2 hand helds). Happy as Larry.

Well done to the man.

Now keep your eye out for one to go in your car. Base station, may even be able to claim tax on a base station if your in the right location.

They pop up now and then cheap. EBAY.

As for the radios give em a good charge up and take em out to play see where they work and most importantly where they dont.

I should do something about an eperb, as i mostly hunt on my own.

I carry a secret in my pack, and it could be seen for miles away if i ever needed it.

But an eperb is a better deal.

Hope i dont ever need the secret weapon.

And again well done on the deal.