Using Dirt Bikes For Hunting

bloodyaussie

Was wondering how many people use dirt bikes for hunting and is there any little set up tricks they have learnt..

Also what sort of hunting do you use it for.

I was trying to figure out how and where to mount a rifle or is there a sling that is best suited for bikes????

Was wondering how many people use dirt bikes for hunting and is there any little set up tricks they have learnt..

Also what sort of hunting do you use it for.

I was trying to figure out how and where to mount a rifle or is there a sling that is best suited for bikes????

add two more wheels and go the quad then you can carry everything to make it comfortable

Being a greedy person,I have 2 motorbikes.I am into dirt bike riding,so I have a gasgas ec300 2t for the purpose.And for getting deeper into hunting areas,I have an xr400.No mods to the bike,but plenty of torque to take me and a load of venison back to camp.Mate has an xr350,and we have found that we can get into some really good areas,and in alot less time.Also a great way to experiance the high country.

I do most of my pig hunting from a bike.

I just sling my rifle across my front - no way will I mount it on the bike. If you do enough hunting on a bike, you will stack and I don't want the bike falling on my gun!

You don't need a huge, skyscraper high, big CC bike to hunt. In fact it's handy to be able to stand over the thing and shoot from the saddle. A bit of clearance does come in handy in stumpy country though.

A clutch lock is VERY handy for when you are in a hurry and with it you don't need to rush to find neutral.

I just use a Suzuki DR200 ag bike and it works well and is good on juice. A couple of things I've done is to run some chain from the foot brake and gear levers to the foot guards that these bikes have, so a stump can't bend the levers around, or bend the shift lever shaft (I've seen it happen). Another thing I've done is to stick a disc of sheet metal over the oil level inspection window, just using some Silastic - I've heard of the little glass window being knocked in by sticks. Heavy duty tubes are also handy.

I have this great bloody long list of things I'd like to do. It keeps getting longer though because not too much gets knocked off it...

Dirt bike hunting is on there somewhere!

I read someone here has an old postie bike he uses to get him in and out of spots. I thought that was a great idea - cheap, light, indestructible. Dunno what mods he's done to it though - pretty sure he had a milk crate strapped onto it somewhere. I think he painted it camo, too? Very funny!

Its me Duncs

I put my rifle in my backpack (as it has a carry spot for it) and then put the pack in the luggage rack. Its perfect, as I dont have any weight on my back and can control the bike perfect. I have also had my day pack, which I put on the rear rack and sling my rifle over my back.

Postie bike is the best IMO as it has no hand clutch so you get alot of control, especially on the steep stuff. Ground clearance is fine. It really doesnt matter, as you can ride around every obstacle anyway. Im yet to find a spot that I couldn't get to.

The only downside is the power. I geared it down as much as I could go without buying a massive rear sprocket and it goes up alot of places. One hill I couldn't get up so I had to walk next to it.

The best one would be one of the low range CT110's. But only the new ones can be registered and they cost almost $5,000. $800 from the auctions and $20 for a front sprocket is alot better value.

+1 on the idea of getting a postie bike, quiet, can chuck on a small box on the back, would make a top hunting bike it does something like 1.5L per 100kms, worm if you look on ebay there are engine swap kits for like $40, so you can stick in a 140 or 150 in it, would pull up the steepest hills then

Edited by keith-longarms

That old boiler, where is it located, ie far off the track?

Got  GPS location on it?

I have a thing for the 'abandoned' history off Australia, don't want to see it lost of all time, so if you ever find items like that, big or small, mark them on the GPS and take a picture. Some historian might just use this to find an old historic site.

In some wetlands near Sale, there's some old pulley of some old machine, but you can only get to it when it's VERY dry (ie, after all these years of drought, I've only seen the water low enough to view it  once for a few months.

(btw, sorry for going off topic, nice "hog" there!)

I have a good idea where that boiler is but wont give up Lee's spots.

I have a Yamaha XT225 Serow kicking about and got it fired up last night and thought that some of the properties it would be good.

One property is hard slog on foot and a 4wd would stuggle but a small trail bike would putt about no worries.

Good point Fenring about hard fixing the rifle... just unsure about being quick off the draw with it slung... not sure what you ment mate?? What is that sling that is being plugged liked??

I dont want it for state forests just for private properties that are on the large scale.

I spent an hour on this bike last night and after 15 years of motorcycle mechanics it all came back to me to quickly ;)

It is not mine but may keep it if it proves useful.

The postie bike is a brilliant bike to use and if I got one cheap enough I would, just been going for too much in recent times to justify :(

Bike is registered.

Those 140cc engine swaps are no good keith. Not only are the engines shat china ones (reliability will be an issue which is a massive plus using a postie) but they also have a hand clutch.

That old boiler is hard to get to. Its closed behind gates for most of the year and covered in snow.

Have a guess where it is johnny, I would be curious to see if you know!

I do a lot of pig chasing on a WR450.

Firstly I would recomend Ultra heavy duty tubes. Theres is very little chance of getting a flat with these.

I will not carry a standard rifle on my back because it will break in thick scrub and very uncumfortable.

I use a 30/30 lever action, its easy to carry on my back because its light and small. Because I actualy chase the pigs all shots taken are from close range after they tire out.

Edited by Geoffsta

Postie bike is the best IMO as it has no hand clutch so you get alot of control, especially on the steep stuff. Ground clearance is fine. It really doesnt matter, as you can ride around every obstacle anyway. Im yet to find a spot that I couldn't get to.

The only downside is the power. I geared it down as much as I could go without buying a massive rear sprocket and it goes up alot of places. One hill I couldn't get up so I had to walk next to it.

The best one would be one of the low range CT110's. But only the new ones can be registered and they cost almost $5,000. $800 from the auctions and $20 for a front sprocket is alot better value.

+1 to the postie bike. Centrifugal clutch is perfect for it. Not mention they're almost impossible to break.

They're bloody tough little bikes alright. If you put a hole in the sump and lose your oil you can run them on two stroke. :lol:

You can get these handle bar clamps for dirtbikes and quads. Haven't tried them out yet though.

You could get a Kolpin hardcase that have an inner removable softcase. More secure and weatherproof but will be slow on the draw.

Then there is the sling. Keep the rifle slung across your lap.

Still interested to know how you can carry your rifle???

Did you read the replies at all?

* in a backpack that holds a rifle which is then located on a carry rack

* on your back using the rifle sling