Torches

G'day

I've been looking around for a torch to shoot with

I like the wolf eyes sniper 260 Hunter. did some reading on the site and seems to be pretty good

they had other models that had comments on them not to much more expensive but a fair drop in battery time just for a bit more distance which i dont think i will need.

Its going to be put on a Marlin .22LR they rekon it is good for 100m. which is plenty for fox and rabbit

does anyone have this model and what do they think about it.

Or rekon mend something like it for the same price. the rechargible battery sounds good to me and spare batteries are $27 so i can have 4 batteries on hand as they say they last for 2 hours 20 regulated

and the pressure button sounds good too.

I had a look at the led lenser X21 bit expensive sweet looking torch and the Mrs said I can have it but It said in the specs LED burn time 300hours something like that. does that mean after 300 hours it rooted???

Thanks and if this topic has ben done before sorry becasue I dont know how to drive the filter search comes up with everythig but what i want.

from memory I thought LEDs usually last around 50000 hours. Of course this is your run of the mill LEDs and not the high power ones in these torches. But given the general make up of how a LED works I did not think there would be anything drastic in the change with the high powered ones. Maybe a 25% decrease in time but not just 300 hours. Maybe someone more enlightened on the topic can clarify for us both :D

EDIT: OK...I have just been looking into things and could not find a definite answer. I did look at the specs of a Dive torch I have. It says it has a burn in time of 30 hours but it also says the LEDs used in it will last for around 10000 hours. So there is a definite difference between LED life and LED Burn In

Here is the URL for my dive torch with the specs

My link

2nd EDIT: :D OK I have pulled out the instruction manual for my dive torch and it states

"Princeton Tec calculates total burn time as the time it takes for the light source to produce a minimum of 0.25 lux at 2 meters. 0.25 lux is about the equivalent of a full moon on a clear night"

Not sure what that means exactly but getting a little closer to a proper definition :D

Edited by Flawed

Yeah 300 sounds a bit short, although it might be correct.

Most of these torches though can have their LED's replaced, so the X21 is probably the same in that regard.

If you want one for your 22, just buy an Eagletac T100C2 mkII or buy an Ultrafire WF-008. They are both cheap and both work very well. Better yet, buy one of each.

Think battery life, not LED life. I've seen 3 different figures for battery life on these touches.

120hr's, 300hrs and 600hrs. However none of these say in what power mode. I can only assume 120hours is in high power, 600hr's in low power and 300hr's is an average of both.

i personally have the wolfeyes sealion which is the 700 lumens one and is awsom. it takes 2 batteries and last 9 hours on high and like 80 on low. however it seams to go flatter quicker if u turn it on and off alot. i have had a couple of problems with the torch(actually killed the battery) mainly my falt not doing the mount up tight enough. wolf eyes fixed my little self caused problems quickly and for free. also i don't know if this is the same with all but when it is flat it is flat no low beam no dimming just on onesecond off the next.

.....or buy an Ultrafire WF-008. They are both cheap and both work very well. Better yet, buy one of each.

After reading some of the threads on this issue, I went the for above mainly due Fenring's (and I think Jason) glowing report on the Ultrafire WF-008 Recoil.

Everything they said it should do - it did. Torch, mount, 2 batteries, 1 recharger - $US55 delivered to my door in one week from HK.

post-5243-028614000 1277273126_thumb.jpg

Its first night out last week down at Nimmitabel.

Cheers

Muz

After reading some of the threads on this issue, I went the for above mainly due Fenring's (and I think Jason) glowing report on the Ultrafire WF-008 Recoil.

Everything they said it should do - it did. Torch, mount, 2 batteries, 1 recharger - $US55 delivered to my door in one week from HK.

post-5243-028614000 1277273126_thumb.jpg

Its first night out last week down at Nimmitabel.

Cheers

Muz

I ordered a WF-008 back in Jan and after several weeks with its status showing as "back ordered", I canceled the order and got my money back. The torch was listed as "In stock" at the time of placing the order. I then ordered the Eagletac from Illuminationgear in the US and it was here 7 days later.

Others on here have bought and received the WF-008 since than, so I guess mine was an isolated occurrence. They are both excellent torches and both nicely compact too. So they are both well suited to rifle mounting.

Ok will look into those other lights as well Im all for saving some coin.

I had a look around the forum and found a topic on the x21 and its says the batteries will go flat after 300hrs so they say.

thats a bloody long time i think. but i suppose even those 10 buck torches from the servo last a fairly long time with 2 AAs so maybe they are right.

thanks guys for the input going to go check out these others ones.

I had a look at those two torches and they look good does anyone know the best place to buy them from and what range do they light up???

what price does it work out to be in australian??

thanks

CAm

Edited by cameronpatrol

Illumination gear is the site to go to for the Eagletac, while Dealextreme is the one for the Ultrafire. You can get cheap (but effective) nylon mounts off of Deal extreme also.

I'll post a link to the nylon mounts I'm referring to, later on, once I get home from work.

DX Nylon mount

i just picked up a new wolf eyes defender III and couldnt wait to let it rip at night time

the beam and spill are very good however i dont like the push/pull system for the light spread as it would get knocked out of your chosen preferance just before you shoot but then it is still very bright and i cant wait to get it out on the bunnies

cheers

I have cheap and expensive lights and my favourite is the Ultra fire wf500!!!!!!

Cost less than $30 from deal extreme, trick is to also buy batteries and charger from ebay and when you buy the torch get a couple of spare globes.. only a couple of bucks each.

Works much better than my led torches including my P7 I ended up buying 2 of them.

Just an FYI - LED's Never burn out with standard use. They will be destroyed however if the Voltage is to high. Most operate at around the 2.8V mark. The water clears (the new ones now found in tourches) are even tougher since to get the totaly clear Plastic Body of the LED the quality of the plastic is far better. Inside an LED there is no element, just a small pocket of gas or vacum (depending on type) which the cathada an anode arc across. What makes LED's so much better than a bulb is the tiny amount of amps needed to run one. This means less Wattage consumed for a longer battery life and a hell of a lot less wasted power in heat build up. The funny side to it tho is that due to LED's having such a small Power requirement then can run an run an run untill the power source is literaly DEAD.

The down side is that a LED touch will never truly produce Infra Red. They can do a facsimily of Ultra Violet however. This can be used with Night Vision but its not as effective as IR. IR is produced via heat and only a normal standard bulb can do that with the right filter.

Edited by Gibs

Guest kevin

I have a Wolf Eyes Sea lioan Hunter on my HMR and couldnt recommend it highly enough and have shot rabbits and foxes out to 150 metres, i've never run the batterys flat in a night and purchsed the additional car charger for the batterys for about $30 for the times that i'm away for the weekend. Diffently the best torch i have used for the size.

post-10385-070247000 1279509098_thumb.jpg

I just got my EDI-Tech P4 off Ebay today as recommended by Epitome. It's a friggin cracker!! 250 lumens and takes 3 AAA batteries.

Easily the best torch I've ever used, I was a bit worried when I pulled it out and saw how small it was but it's all good. Cost $65 and $15 postage. Paid for it Monday and it arrived in Hobart from Brisbane today (Friday)

That's good to hear mate. They are a cracker little torch aren't they? Strap it on your 22 and go bunny busting!!

That's good to hear mate. They are a cracker little torch aren't they? Strap it on your 22 and go bunny busting!!

It's awesome I keep going out the back now and again and flashing it around :D Gotta wait for the 2 x different mounts from dealextreme coming from china. Might have to get out the gaffa tape in the meantime B)