Winter Clothes

Folks im after inside information on the best clothes to wear when hunting at this time of year in the high country.

I have thermal tops which are lousy even tho expensive. But not wool.

I have also checked out the gear available in NZ, all wool.

I have ordered possum and merino socks, $40.00 a pair but worth it.

Any advice on shirts other than flannel, t shirts, vests, jackets.

Or even long johns.

What is the best available to have, No point in having good gear and lousy clothes.

And in camo if possible, but green will do.

I need the best as i get phenomena to easy.

Need as much help as possible.

cheers.

Mate I reckon skivvies are totally underated. Not expensive and very warm. When hunting deer in winter it can get to around -5 where I go (not as extreme as the real high country, but still cold). I wear a thermal undergarment, skivvy over that and a heavy camo jacket from Aussie disposals. I have long johns under my camo pants and thick explorer socks with waterproof hunting boots. I have a thin wet weather jacket in my backpack to keep dry if it's raining. Then woolen gloves and a woolen beanie. I'm more than warm enough with that on in those tempertaures. What sort of temperature does it get to were your going to hunt?

Having the best gear in the world is no good if its not the "right" gear or used in the correct way.

think LAYERS, LAYERS, LAYERS!

Firstly baselayers top and bottom, they should be either a high performance fabric from makers such as helly hansen, ice breaker, north face any of the big brands, the base layer is going to wick moisture and keep you dry. next is a top i normally go something lightweight like a tshirt go lite has some great tops that wont stink after a few days.

next is normally a fleece of some sort many hunting brands do good ones, and then finally you need a shell. a shell jacket is just that a shell, it will stop you getting wet and stop the wind getting to you. a good jacket will have pit zips and other vents. the key to staying warm in the winter and snow is to remove layers as you heat up and put them back on as you cool down.

Down is something that doenst go well with hunting, not abrasion resistant and ive never seen anything down in camo colours.

have a look at a few majour players and you should be able to pick up earth toned colours.

For example a winter trip hikeing I might have

merino wool long jons, hikeing pants (REI special from the usa cheap!) merino wool socks

singlet on top, golite long sleeve top. North face lightweight polar fleece wind stopper, or heavier kathmandu polar fleece toped off with a north face goretex shell jacket.

The following brands are some of the best in the world for camping/hikeing clothing.

Helly Hansen

The North Face

Marmot

Arc'teryx

Mountain Hardware

I wear a Blue singlet under a Stoney creek air mesh shirt... on the real cold mornings i wear the micro tuff shirt and that's it I still get hot wearing that.....On the other hand if I am sitting and binoing an area i wear a Ridgeline torrent jacket

Folks im after inside information on the best clothes to wear when hunting at this time of year in the high country.

I have thermal tops which are lousy even tho expensive. But not wool.

I have also checked out the gear available in NZ, all wool.

I have ordered possum and merino socks, $40.00 a pair but worth it.

Any advice on shirts other than flannel, t shirts, vests, jackets.

Or even long johns.

What is the best available to have, No point in having good gear and lousy clothes.

And in camo if possible, but green will do.

I need the best as i get phenomena to easy.

Need as much help as possible.

cheers.

You get phenomena??

Mate the unders or thermals made in NZ are awesome. I forget the exact brand but any woollen thermal under garments worn under your normal camos should see you right. I tend to wear too much, by the time I start stalking I get too hot. One thing I like about it though is if I were caught out for whatever reason, I could stay warm (ish).

It has long been said that layering clothing is the best option to stay warm and i tend to agree. Rather than wear a ski jacket, I like to wear two tops and a jumper.

Pretty sure if you got some good quality thermals and whack em on under your normal gear you would be sweet. Beanies are good when its really cold.

What the heck is phenomena?

Or do you mean pneumonia?

Edited by Farmgirl

What the heck is phenomena?

Or do you mean pneumonia?

Its a condition that the older hunters among us like Rich get. It's stems from not enough meat on the bones and a real need to harden the farck up :lol:

HAHA, good stuff, take a tea spoon of cement and see me in the morning!

I've always thought about getting the good quality, name brand stuff like north face etc but so far just sticking to plenty of layers has worked well for me in sub zero temps, that might change if i get into some high country where it is often less than that though. You cant be too careful in these areas i reckon.

When its at its coldest this is what i go for:

Thick woolen socks, long johns and singlet

Skivvy or flano

Thick Woolen Jumper

Camo pants and water proof knee length jacket

and ofcourse a woolen beanie.

As you all know, the key is to stay dry, i always have some sort of rain protection just in case even if its not that cold or isnt forecast to rain, the only time i have had to abandon a hunt because of weather was because my hunting mate didnt have wet weather gear and was freezing his but off, i was fine!

One of my prized possessions is my Akubra, keeps the head and face dry in heavy rain and the sun off in the heat

Ice breaker merino thermals are excellent

The ridgeline fleece camo pack in buffalo camo is very good and the quality is excellent and they are very warm

I use a pair of thermal sock under a pair of high wool content explorer socks available from Big W I have used expensive socks and the explorers are probably the best around. This will keep your feet very warm

Thinsulate gloves are very good - many styles available

Got back from two weeks in NZ; weather was ice and snow temp was down to minus 7 and I was warm and happy

http://www.paddypallin.com.au/default.aspx?page=78&product=430&Group=121

http://www.ridgeline.co.nz/index.php?page=hunters-pack

http://www.ridgeline.co.nz/index.php?page=merino-eco-sublink

https://www.mountaindesigns.com/Index.cfm?Action=Products&Subaction=productDetail&ParentCategoryID=119&CategoryID=139&ProductID=45

http://www.wellingtonsurplus.com.au/showProduct/CLOTHING/SOCKS/SO1136/HOLEPROOF+LONG+EXPLORER+SOCKS+-+STYLES+S1136+++S1137

http://www.stoneycreekshop.com.au/Huntlite-Jacket-p-162-19-4845.html

Stoney creek make very good gear

Got to love the spell check, i should pay more attention,

Ill look into the above, and ill try and remember the cement nick.

Yer im built like a greyhound,I watch guys at work younger than myself that cant bend over or touch the floor, im not into excess weight.

Pity the woman didnt have the same theory on weight as i do.

Socks are a problem len i like the NZ stuff as it lasts for years.

And ill get the merino gear,i have been looking at it.

I like the idea of not carting the extra weight in clothes that just dont do the job.

Im off to check out skivvies tonight, i do remember as a teen, as hard as it is these days, just how warm thy were.

I recall only wearing a skivvie on top and that was it.

Thanks folks.

skivvies? Not if they are cotton as cotton gear is a hypo death trap in the wrong place when its wet,either wool or polypropolene..I wore polypro`s in top and bottoms at NZ`s Southern Alps last month and they were very good.

Layer up and dont rely on this and that single wonder garment.

Layer up and dont rely on this and that single wonder garment.

I'm glad someone said it!

I wear a polypropylene top layer (rarely do I need the bottoms) and yes I have an old skivvy style thermal top that is BRILLIANT ... but fluro stripes. :lol: My current thermals are from Rays Tent City and are olive green and long sleeved ... wish they made a skivvy style though!

My fleece is Stoney Creek I think ... but I'm just as likely to ditch the top (bulky) for a thinner KMart bought drab olive green fleece that cost $8. If its cold though I wear the Stoney Ck as its ability to zip up around your neck is appreciated. Bottom is a thin fleece, it'd have to be well below freezing for me to wear thermal bottoms.

I always have a beanie either on my head or in the pack!

Final shell layer is either GoreTex if in severe conditions, or a cheap nylon rain jacket if in less severe conditions.

Two things worth remembering: 1. LAYERS!!!! 2. Wet and warm is fine, wet and cold are LETHAL.

Thick socks can be a disadvantage depending on your boots. Really thick socks with tight boots laced up will give you cold feet as the compression limits blood flow. A thinner pair will keep your feet warmer if that's the case. If its really cold, a face shield is nice on the lungs especially if you have to do anything really active.

DONT wear anything cotton, I feel the same about wool which when wet is heavy. Modern synthetics are brilliant. I've 'dried' my thermals at -35degC so that they were stiff as a board, cracked them to remove the ice then put them straight on. You'll be feeling warm within 30seconds. Likewise a fleece.

Cheers...

Con

-35C where in Antarctica? Or in a snap chiller :lol:

NZ walk into the first camp of my recent hunt was one where I got rid of the gaiters, the beanie, the R/line Roar coat and the shorts and walked the next 6.5 hours for 17 k`s in constant rain in my poly pro lj`s and long sleeved top..the Kiwi boys with me at the same time wore gaiters,long strides and gore tex jackets with beanies..and this walk was in a long river valley with all peaks on both sides snow covered so it shows how different folk have vastly different temps,cotton wouldnt have done it at all as it when wet will make you very cold.

I did have all sorts of catalogue goodies to put on "in case"

One of the most important things I have found is having decent quality waterproof boots with thermal socks. I don't know about other people but if my feet are cold the rest of me is cold, and the feet are the easiest area to get cold. While I agree with the "more layers the better theory" some times this is not practical as the more layers you have on the more restricted your movements become which can be a hindrance when stalking.

-35C where in Antarctica? Or in a snap chiller :lol:

Particularly nasty cold snap whilst working at Whistler, BC. Washed them then hung them out to 'dry' for a laugh. Stiff as a board in 15 minutes, but you can snap them to get the ice off then straight back on. Whilst Whisler was hitting -20degC ambient, Mum & Dad were sweltering at 40degC in Melbourne. One poor old Qld fella flew in from +45degC, landed at Vancouver and drove straight up when it was -20degC ... collapsed buying his ticket from a heart attack.

If you think that's bad, should have seen the Aussie's playing football outside the Longhorn pub (drunk! :P ) at -17degC on Australia Day. Naked. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Came back and did a ski season in Australia ... I'd swap a Canadian 'dry' -15deg C for an Australian 'wet' -2degC anyday. It 'feels' much colder here.

Cheers...

Con

Its a condition that the older hunters among us like Rich get. It's stems from not enough meat on the bones and a real need to harden the farck up :lol:

Hahaha, men always need to harden up. Bunch of whingers! Do you guys suffer from "man colds"? wink.gif

I'm a bit of a believer in layering up also, as I get really cold too. I've never gone into the "wonder garment" theory either.

However, my hubby likes buying the camping brands like "Macpac" etc.

At first I laughed at him for being a yuppy camper but I have to admit that after trying it on, they really are good.

He has a Macpac fleecy top (skivvy) that is simply awesome and I'll be getting one too.

I also wear an old German army standby with the warm innner lining. It's warm but very bulky. In fact I think it weighs more than me so it can be a bit awkward to manouvre around in it. Can't imagine shooting in that thing.

Edited by Farmgirl

Im glad i asked the question.

As the feed back from you folk is down to earth on the ground know how.

The idea of minus anything scares me, i hate it but nothing worse than letting the team down if you end up crook from being cold on a hunt.

I will look into all the info provided and get the right gear, at least now i have some brand names to search for.

I have been a lover of cotton all my life but that will be dumped now for the good stuff.

And much less bulk needed to keep warm, like F/G i thing the gear weighed more than i do.

And i was still cold.

We are in a cold snap here in VIC and i need this gear now for up coming hunts.

I take note that Rays has some, Do the ski places have it also?

And Len i will arrange to have a look at the gear you posted, and research it.

Ill duck over to south lands tonight and see what is available to get me through this week end

If i can find merino wool or something better there ill grab it.

But i will get the good stuff i need it more than anything else.

Thanks folks and cheers.