Hunting Boots

I currently have a pair of Hi-Tec boots that I wear hunting in NQ and I'm happy enough with them. In Nov this year I'm of to NZ to hunt Tahr with a mate of mine over there. Apparently the terrain is really hard on boots and my mate who also had a pair said they won't stand the conditions.

Can anyone suggest a good ruggered but comfortable boot that will keep my tootsies warm but not cook them when I return to NQ.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Lazy,

I just returned from a Tahr and Chamois hunt in south island of NZ. My guide and others recommended Meindl Makalu boots. I got a pair and they were great and my feet felt great. They has a gore tex lining making them waterproof (you have yuor boots in snow all day) and they have a realy stiff soul for sidling and getting a good footting whilst climbing up the mountains. But they not cheap, around $550 here but that's cheaper then NZ where they're around NZ$800.

See their website click here

I currently have a pair of Hi-Tec boots that I wear hunting in NQ and I'm happy enough with them. In Nov this year I'm of to NZ to hunt Tahr with a mate of mine over there. Apparently the terrain is really hard on boots and my mate who also had a pair said they won't stand the conditions.

Can anyone suggest a good ruggered but comfortable boot that will keep my tootsies warm but not cook them when I return to NQ.

Any suggestions appreciated.

First pair of Hi-Teks of mine were the only pair,I blew them apart on a 10 day hunt in the "gatta in 93,never will own that brnd again.

I did 12 days in NZ`s toughest country a month or so back and wore Irish Setters,they were a great grippy boot but the water proofing factor means nothing if you are crossing creeks and rivers daily. Main thing is for stiffish and tough boots and a bit of height for max ankle support...Meindels are available under the Cabelas home brand,same boot but re branded cabs and are 1/2 the price here of M branded`s

Yeah I have looked at the Cabela's site and there are a lot to choose from. I remember handling (not wearing) a set of Irish Setters and I was impressed with how light that particular set were, but if Mendle are better then I'll go that way. I'm just not sure if I should get a pair of 200-400 gram insulated or non insulated.

Yes Gryphon there will be a number of creek crossings I'm told to around knee deep and I doubt any shoes will keep my feet 100% dry. Good ankle support is key, so too a pair that won't be too hot trekking around North Queensland. I can't justify spending hundreds on a pair of boots I only wear once.

I'll get back on cabela's and check out their range.

There`s no such thing as 'waterproof' if you are hunting where you cross rivers and creeks as the water comes in over the top of the boot and stays in tooyou cant keep it out for long.

Recent NZ hunt..we crossed the river 100 yards from the truck and the feet were wet for the next ten days as it was cross more of them or actually walk up the creeks,no boot can stand that sort of stuff but it can be more comfortable than the much cheaper jobs.

My third toenail only came off last night from that hunt btw.

In the last ten months have worn Irish Setter Shadow Trek in varying weather and terrain conditions with very satisfactory results. ^_^

My third toenail only came off last night from that hunt btw.

Mate, that prolonged torture sounds as bad as the old Gestapo fingernail extraction! :blink:

I found some good boots a few years back at Rays - all leather, good lacing system and LIGHT which is what I like

- too many years of running in GP Boots makes you realise how heavy boots make you tired by themselves.

They were so good I went and purchased a few pairs and put them in the back of the cupboard. They survive

the heat, wet etc up in the NT every year and generally stay wet for 2 weeks continuously but always come

good after drying (don't go hard).

As Gryphon said, very few boots survive being wet continuously.

No such thing as a waterproof boot if it is that wet / you are crossing rivers.

Re insulation, even in NZ when I have been over, is it really necessary considering

the likelihood your boot will be too hot if used over here ?

Choose your boots carefully and have a good trip.

Edited by 500Nitro

First pair of Hi-Teks of mine were the only pair,I blew them apart on a 10 day hunt in the "gatta in 93,never will own that brnd again.

I did 12 days in NZ`s toughest country a month or so back and wore Irish Setters,they were a great grippy boot but the water proofing factor means nothing if you are crossing creeks and rivers daily. Main thing is for stiffish and tough boots and a bit of height for max ankle support...Meindels are available under the Cabelas home brand,same boot but re branded cabs and are 1/2 the price here of M branded`s

Hey gryphon, What do Cabelas call the Meindl boots?

I bought a pair of Aku hiking boots. I' haven't been on any serious treks, but they are a vibram sole, goretex upper. Stiching is all on the inside. Good support and relatively stiff. I am really happy with them. Hunting at night when the grass is all wet and slipper these things give really good grip and feel very stable. Not purpose designed Hunting boots, but purpose designed hiking boots, and honestly, hunting is just hiking with a gun.

Just my 2c worth.

Jase

and honestly, hunting is just hiking with a gun.

I used to think that too - until I used my flat-soled hiking boots to contour steep slopes, etc. Sure, they'll get you there and back, but if you try and follow someone with purpose-built hunting boots, with "claws" on the soles, then you quickly see the difference.

Think of AT tyres vs mud tyres - the analogy is very, very close.

good point. for me I'm trying balance being too cold when I go to chase Tahr in Nov in the Sth Island NZ (though it shouldn't be too bad then for the most part but it can change in minutes at times)and too hot when hunting pigs in North Queensland

I'll certainly keep that analogy in mind. Meindl and Irish Setter seem to the pick of the boots so far

Cheers

There's a very good post in here somewhere about the different levels of thinsulate and how they effect heat retention. I just thought there was thinsulate or not! But its a bit more involved than that.

Worth a read if you can find it. Its in a boot thread so you might have already seen it.