Hunting Boots

I have had input on boots previously a few times as I have used all sorts for 30 years for sambar hunting which is very tough on footwear...this 30 doesnt count all the years before that on other species. Anyway I still buy them if i see a bargain and continue to use every pair in my boot locker as evidenced in the pic...I dont clean them,let the grass do that! I dont oil them much either as most are Cordura type material or other syn stuff.

The Irish Setters I wore to NZ are top boots (3rd from left front) but did buckle slightly under even tougher conditions in one of the side panels which has suggested to me in future that this type are limited to easier hunting..stands to reason eh as the more panels sewn together the more can go wrong...NZ high country Sth Island hunting does require quality boots and although the IS`s did the trip wonderfully and with much hunting pre and post that trip the panel stitching and not enough overlap means that type wont be going back there.

I have gone off the Rocky`s I have worn and own.. good boots but not good enough for me though I still wear them.

Danners are good,but haven't been to NZ.

The wet weather/snow /mud boots are used on the farm here and in the bush camps too,no cold feet with them.

post-249-001864000 1280649641_thumb.jpg

I've got a pair of Irish Setter Tamaraks (400g thinsulate) on sale from BassPro - $130 delivered. So far they are great but, being insulated, I don't wear them in the heat of summer. Yet to purchase dedicated summer hunting boots.

Hiking boots are fine in rolling hills and flat country. But in rough country you need firm, high ankle support.

Like everything else, I think you do need different tools for different jobs / different boots for different terrain.

I have had input on boots previously a few times as I have used all sorts for 30 years for sambar hunting which is very tough on footwear...

Yes I've since done a search through the forums and found a number of times this issue has arisen and noted your comments...all very good. Being a newbie to forums I didn't think to do a search before I raised this....will know better next time

Like everything else, I think you do need different tools for different jobs / different boots for different terrain.

I think you're right and that's precisely what I think I'll have to do. I'll have to stop being such a cheapskate and do what makes the most sense. As a mate of mine says "The poor man pays twice!", once for the cheap item and then again for what he should have bought the first time after his first purchase let him down.

After reading some of your replies about Cabelas and how good the service is, i decided to buy my first pair of hunting boots. I just got a pair of cheapies, 7" Pinnacle hunting boots. I chose the slowest postage and the cheapest (surface mail i think) and they arrived exactly 6 days after i ordered them. How bloody good is that! I put an order in at my LGS for some camo jackets and he's telling my 6-8 weeks till they arrive.

Gryph those boots bottom right ROCK Outdoors are the best boots (not yours, mine) I have ever owned. Wore them at Kokoda and many years after that. I even had them repaired when some stitching came away. I would buy them again but can't find them anywhere. Originally got mine from Rays Outdoors but they don't have them any more. Got any clues where I can get them please?

Grant