240Blitz Coloured Lenses

Hey Guys,

As you all know i do a fair bit of feral culling, be it foxes at lambing time or general bunny busting. I don't eat them, nor does the dog, just doing my bit for the farmer and the environment(rant out of the way)

I use a lightforce 240 Blitz which i might add is a great light, cheaper than the bigger steel jobbies and not as bright but it does the job. At times it can be too bright, and the little critters shy away. So i put the amber lense on and the foxes will stare at it alot longer as to will the coneys.

A few of the local rabbits have "cottoned on" to this amber light so i tried their famous "red" filter...

WEll buggar me... i could see past my nose... It was as dark as night itself.. Has anyone else tried these lenses and had any luck????

The other option i was going to explore was the HID upgrade to make the 240Blitz even brighter to accomodate the dark red lens????

What do we all use when "lamping" or spotlighting???? Love to hear your thoughts guys!!!

U sure you did not use the Infra Red filter... that baby is only good for Night Vision.

I use the red filter on my LF170 with 100w globe. I have no problems seeing rabbits out to 100m and foxes to 200m. I can still spot destingish fox eyes vs sheep at 350m with the red filter.

I actually prefer to use the Red filter so I don't get night blinded at every tree I sweep past.

Animals like it too as they don't get spooked as much.

Rabbits just walk away or keep eating.

Foxes ain't bothered by it either. Keep whistling and they keep coming. Plopped a few foxes with 22 subs this way at 20-40m when I was out hunting rabbits.

I used to use a red filter but changed to amber because the red filter cut down the light range too much and game wouldn't stop on the red or wouldn't sit on it as long as they do when using the amber lense

I only have one filter and it is a red one. I mostly don't bother with it, but if they are particularly jumpy the red filter helps. But I have no trouble seeing 100m with the red filter. I'm guessing you might have an infra red filter, not a red filter.

I whacked a Lightforce red filter for the 240 series onto my PowaBeam and gave it a whirl the other night. The bunnies stayed around quite a while longer. The kangaroos didn't bolt (gotta do a bit of nature watching when there is nothing to shoot...) It seemed to be pretty good, but I have to admit I am not fond of the amount of light lost. Same issue with the red filter on my night hunter 170 rifle mounted spotty.

I might try the amber filter and see how I go with that. The bunnys bolt straight away without a filter and foxes even 200 odd meters away run off. I put it on mainly for foxes but haven't seen one since.

This is all out in the chiltern area.

In the gun shop the other day and he said there was another color filter that people were using with good results. I think he said it was the blue one? I've heard that blue filters have the same issue with lowering the light output though.

Interested to hear what other guys use.

Jase

Couple of things you can do:-

You can change out the 100W bulb in the 240 to a 75W, staying with the vertical filament..

Or stay at 100W but switch it to a horizontal filament which takes away the centre bright spot.

Red Filters work with HID as the light is so much brighter but haven't had a chance to look

at a whole heap of animals yet.

thanks guys... i definately know it aint the IR filter... that would be good for some of the IR camera work i do though.... :)

Maybe i was being a sook, and not used to it yet... will try again... and they come in a whole range of colours.. red, IR, green, yellow, Amber, clear, blue, and with all the combo, spot etc lenses as well...

Is the HID upgrade worth it????

thanks guys... i definately know it aint the IR filter... that would be good for some of the IR camera work i do though.... :)

Maybe i was being a sook, and not used to it yet... will try again... and they come in a whole range of colours.. red, IR, green, yellow, Amber, clear, blue, and with all the combo, spot etc lenses as well...

Is the HID upgrade worth it????

Considering a 35 watt HID throws out 3 times (about 3600 lumens) the light of a 100 watt halogen globe, yes I would say the upgrade is worth it.

Considering a 35 watt HID throws out 3 times (about 3600 lumens) the light of a 100 watt halogen globe, yes I would say the upgrade is worth it.

Thanks Epi they're going cheap on ebay ATM so i might invest in the upgrade kit... Cheers on the feedback..

Thanks Epi they're going cheap on ebay ATM so i might invest in the upgrade kit... Cheers on the feedback..

I wouldn't buy the round one on ebay if I was you, you could end up at a dead end down the track if things

go wrong and parts are likely to be hard to come buy - and parts like bulbs are more expensive than they need to be.

I convert lights to HID but please note, I'm NOT trying to get business, just giving you some inside info so

you don't get pissed off down the track.

Edited by 500Nitro

I wouldn't buy the round one on ebay if I was you, you could end up at a dead end down the track if things

go wrong and parts are likely to be hard to come buy - and parts like bulbs are more expensive than they need to be.

I convert lights to HID but please note, I'm NOT trying to get business, just giving you some inside info so

you don't get pissed off down the track.

I haven't tried one of the Lightforce specific kits. I bought one of the normal 35w kits and converted a $15 auto shop cheapy light and it is much more powerful than my SL170. The globe is a 4000K globe.

Here it is:

HIDlightrearview.jpg

HIDlightsideview.jpg