Hand Held Gps

gongrusa

hi guys in the market for a brand new hand held gps can anyone point me in the right direction as to which brands work best for you that incude upgradable maps and topo info thanks in advance.Sero

I have a Garmin Map60 and run the "shonkytopo" free downloadable maps and Mapsource (comes with the GPS) on the computer, I believe the 60CSX has a higher sensitivity as my Map60 looses contact intermittently in the bush, not a real big drama but sometimes if marking a point you have to wait a moment to get a clear position.

Cheers,

Waldo

I have a Garmin Map60 and run the "shonkytopo" free downloadable maps and Mapsource (comes with the GPS) on the computer, I believe the 60CSX has a higher sensitivity as my Map60 looses contact intermittently in the bush, not a real big drama but sometimes if marking a point you have to wait a moment to get a clear position.

Cheers,

Waldo

Waldo

I've a Garmin CSX60 = great GPS but don't forget the basics as well - map sense, topo map, compass and checking position aginst map regularly. Batteries do go flat.

Les

Yup - Garmin GPS Map60CSX with (free) "Shonky maps" is very hard to beat as far as I'm concerned. Batteries last forever but, as Les said, ALWAYS take a map and compass and brain along too.

The only problem with them is the belt clip. Don't rely on it or you'll be purchasing a second one...trust me. rolleyes.gif

The only problem with them is the belt clip. Don't rely on it or you'll be purchasing a second one...trust me. rolleyes.gif

I used to always stick mine in my pocket and clipped to side but signal was reduced, now I clip it to the waist strap on my pack but I always have my belt and run it thru the lanyard that way if it gets knocked off scrambling thru blackberries (which happens often)and the like it just dangles and can't get lost.

Cheers,

Waldo

A few months ago I brought a Garmin Oregan 300 on special. (I don't think the sales on anymore but I picked it up for $329)

Loaded it with shonky topo and copied Garmin 5 meter contour lines and it's the bomb.

Initially I wasn't that keen on touch screen but since using it I wouldn't go back, It's just so quick to access different functions, mark points etc. I did buy a ebay clear stick on screen cover for a bit of protection on the screen from scratching.

Also I mostly lug it around in a backpack or in a canvas pouch on my belt, Never have I had a signal issue. The thing even works sitting in the lounge room.....

The thing even works sitting in the lounge room.....

Yeah, I've got a very old marine model Garmin - probably bought it in about 1994 I guess. It struggles to get a signal under a wet tree. The ones these days work just about anywhere.

GPSMAP60CSX is what i use and its great i can not fault it...Easy to use and does not drop out once locked on to satellites well worth the $$$....

Garmin Oregon 300. Very happy with it. Runout model cost us about $200 at Anaconda.

Garmin Oregon 300. Very happy with it. Runout model cost us about $200 at Anaconda.

I use the Garmin GPS 60 (non mapping version). Love it.

How I carry is it I stick the lanyard though a button hole on my top pocket (Auscam jacket) and loop it around the GPS so it can't fall out ever, then plop the GPS into the top pocket until I need to use it.

been looking at the garmin range too. i got an old migellan explorer but it does not show topography so might take you the shortest route up or down a cliff. i was a bit worried about the touch screen as i have a bad track record with touch screens.but the blokes on here don't seem to have a problem tho, so maybe they are tougher than i thought, the topo systems start off at about $ 450 unless you can find a discontinued line on e bay . does anyone know if they show topo in waterways too? let us know how you go because im in the market for a new one myself ,been doing some map work with a compass too and its amazing how much i had forgotten it took a while to triangulate my position but the skills are coming back.my gps let me down once and it is damn scary how much faith we put in these gadgets . so i went out and got a good compass and been practicing .just in case,

been looking at the garmin range too. i got an old migellan explorer but it does not show topography so might take you the shortest route up or down a cliff. i was a bit worried about the touch screen as i have a bad track record with touch screens.but the blokes on here don't seem to have a problem tho, so maybe they are tougher than i thought, the topo systems start off at about $ 450 unless you can find a discontinued line on e bay . does anyone know if they show topo in waterways too? let us know how you go because im in the market for a new one myself ,been doing some map work with a compass too and its amazing how much i had forgotten it took a while to triangulate my position but the skills are coming back.my gps let me down once and it is damn scary how much faith we put in these gadgets . so i went out and got a good compass and been practicing .just in case,

The idea of GPS is that you don't have to stick exactly to a course if it is leading you into rough country , you can just decide to walk around that area and avoid the cliff or whatever and the GPS will still keep steering you to your destination waypoint even if you are way off the as the crow flies course. Even if you walk a 360 circle around your destination the GPS will always point inward to your destination.

On a slightly different track, has anyone found a decent iPhone app for use in such situations? I have downloaded a TomTom SatNav app for road navigation which works OK although not perfectly. I have done a search and there are a few apps out there for bush tracking/navigation but havent tried them yet.

Now, the iPhone will NOT be anywhere near as good as a dedicated GPS unit but might be good enough to get you out of trouble if/when lost.