Hunting Knives

Bushy.243

G'Day Everyone,

I was wondering what sort of knives people use for general hunting ? I have always preferred folding knives to fixed blades and I am in the market for a new knife. I am currently leaning towards a Benchmade Griptilian or a Spyderco.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Bushy :D

Bushy by the sound of it both those choices have a hefty price tag. If you are after a good "working" knife get your hands on a couple of butchers knives the two types that i use are the standard 6in boner and the 6in flaying knife. You should be able to get the pair of them for about $80. Now if butchers and slaugts use them day after day they can't be to bad, just stick to the good names(F-D!ck,Swibo,Victronox,dexta russels) Two draw backs of these is that sheaths are hard to get and the are not a heavy knife so trying to go through bone instead of around it may pose a problem. But they are reasonable to sharpen and hold an edge.Just some more info to mull over

1S1K ((0))

Bushy,

mate have to agree with Butch on that one. butchers knives are the grouse. cheaper than "hunting knives" so if you leave it in the paddock you havent lost half ya kids college fund. they sharpen well hold an edge(provided you sharpen properly)and grip well in the wet.

but if the hunting knife is what ya want check out these brands.

Boker

Buck

SOG

Green River

Svord- highly reccomended. Made in N.Z.

Cold Steel

Puma

Dewey.

All pricey but you definatly get what you pay for.

Bushy, I have 2 folders - Buck 110, Fox 3inch(forget model No) and 1 large Fox hunting Knife, all price around $100-$200. The folders do all the work for me large one mostly lives in ute. Have had the fox folder replaced twice due to spring bar breaking hence won't be buying another

Knives a bit like guns to me the more the merrier :D:D just choose the flavour of the day when going out

Spyderco good stuff gerber also

carelessness loses gear - 3 gerbers at$150 a pop not happy!

Lots to choose from good luck :D

Butch is spot on i believe. I also use Swibo and have the same combination, you really cant go wrong. I've been using the some one's for the last 5-6 years and they are as sharp today as the day i brought them. i take them to the butcher's to get a touch up every now and then.

hi bushie, i have a boker drop point skinner, cost 90 bucks, nice knife with embosed sheef, and i just brought a dewy deer skinner with a sambar handle the trouble with the dewy it did not come with sheef and i got a local saddle maker to make one at a cost of 30 bucks, i know you can but knifes what the butchers use but to me they have no looks about them, myself i like the stag handles bit like useing a piece of rope for a gun sling a,

Soon as you start paying the money for somethin like your talking about , youre prettty much assured that your getting a decent blade, just make sure your knife length is right for the animals you hunt and dont get anything serrated, bigger dosent mean better, i use a 3 to 5 inch knife for doing sambar, anything bigger, just weighs too much, and the size makes them unmanageable, if you like spiderco, look at the police modle in plain style (no serrations)

Also the advantages of a smaller balde is you can use it to domaore, and also carry a spare in a similar size as they weigh bugger all.

Victornox butcher knives for me they are cheap and easy to sharpen i use a skinner and a boning with a jewel stick steel for a quick sharpen and after a bit of use i touch them up on the stone.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I will go with the Benchmade as I can carry it with me anywhere and they are superb quality. I have a couple of Victorinox butchers knives that I use at home I might get some to put in a knife roll for bigger game.

Cheers.

Bushy :D

G'Day Everyone,

I was wondering what sort of knives people use for general hunting ? I have always preferred folding knives to fixed blades and I am in the market for a new knife. I am currently leaning towards a Benchmade Griptilian or a Spyderco.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Bushy  :D

Try F-####,

They are easy to clean, have a fairly good range and don't empty out the wallett. Old mans a butcher and he likes them.