Hid Spotlight. Is It Worth It?

benh

*EDIT*

hunted through my emails, it was from 95Soarer, the top link in your post above.

The one I got had 2 kits in it, obviously for doing a set of driving lights, I gave one set and the packaging and instructions to a cocky who has helped me get onto a dozen properties (got to look after guy like him) :DB)

I'm loving it!!

The second one looks the goods though for handheld, mine is roof mounted.

Good stuff Sneaky.

I bought one of those double kits they sell for converting car head lights and used one ballast and globe to convert one of my hand held spot lights. It is a fairly chunky light, so I was able to mount the ballast on the light and can still use it hand held.

I was going to use the other half of the kit on my SL170, but am now looking to buy one of the other SL170/240 specific kits instead. The SL170 is very light and the added weight of a large ballast will upset how it handles, hence my idea of going for the smaller lighter kit.

I have bought 3 kits from 95Soarer so far. 2 kits (4x ballast and 4x globes) are fitted to my Falcon. The third is the one mentioned above. The oldest kit is about 2 years old and still going strong.

What pattern globe? H3??

Or are you after a ballast?

95Soarer has replacement Ballasts for $32 each. I haven't seen any globes advertised as yet.

False alarm, it decided to work when I had a look at it, just wanted me to spend some time with it, apparently we never talk any more.....

I was after the complete unit as a spare, if you have one gathering dust?

just wanted me to spend some time with it, apparently we never talk any more.....

hahah :lol:

im struggling to come to terms with the $130 price tag (i had seen those kits by 95soarer for the handheld but was sure you had bought something cheaper for yours epitome. looks like the $130 kit is the most suitable option) when the sl170 itself cost me $130.

wish id bought a 240.

might go and buy a mount for it first so i can go out shooting by myself <_<

hahah :lol:

im struggling to come to terms with the $130 price tag (i had seen those kits by 95soarer for the handheld but was sure you had bought something cheaper for yours epitome. looks like the $130 kit is the most suitable option) when the sl170 itself cost me $130.

wish id bought a 240.

might go and buy a mount for it first so i can go out shooting by myself <_<

I did buy a cheaper kit. The other one in my post. However, while it worked well with my other light, it is TOO chunky for the SL170. I am about to buy one of the other $130 kits for mine. Don't be hesitant though. an SL170 with the HID upgrade will easily out power a standard SL240. An upgraded SL240 will beet them all though. I'm much happier to upgrade an SL170 though. I find the SL240 too big. The SL170 though is a nice size and with the HID upgrade will be "brilliant". ;) ;)

I'll find a pic of my other light, post HID upgrade.

Here you go Assailant.

35W HID ballast driving a 4000k H3 globe, fitted to a $15 Auto shop spot light.

It's punching out a lot more than 700,000 candle power now!! :ph34r:

HIDlightrearview.jpg

HIDlightsideview.jpg

thanks ep, thats really helpful! im keen not to sink $$ on an unsuitable kit :)

i just bought a window mount and remote handle yesterday for my spottie (there goes $220) which i tried out last night. 30s into the first paddock and i was driving, spotting and shooting at a fox all by myself! love it.

next project will be to get the hid kit you suggest.

Nice one EP, what is the weight / balance like on this setup, I would like to use a "light" hand held quad light

Edit to add: Apart from the 4000K H3 Kit did you have to purchase any other fittings? Thanks in advance

Edited by PaulOS

Nice one EP, what is the weight / balance like on this setup, I would like to use a "light" hand held quad light

Edit to add: Apart from the 4000K H3 Kit did you have to purchase any other fittings? Thanks in advance

No, no other parts needed. The light was $15 from my local auto shop. The HID kit with 2 ballasts and 2 globes was $69 from ebay.

It is ok to use, but does get a bit tiring after 2 or 3 hours. So not bad I guess. If I had it to do over, I would go with a 6000k globe though. I chose the 4000k globe, thinking the yellower colour (similar to a halogen globes colour) would be less likely to startle animals. But lets face it. With the light output equivalent to 3 100W quartz halogen globes, the colour of the light is no problem and the colour of the 6000k globe (very white colour)is much easier for me to see with.

i bought the lightforce handheld hid kit from 95soarer last night. with any luck it will get here before the weekend but considering he is on holidays until the 11th, i cant see that happening.

ill report back when ive done it. id like to be able to test a before and after so might do the upgrade at night and take some photos.

i bought the lightforce handheld hid kit from 95soarer last night. with any luck it will get here before the weekend but considering he is on holidays until the 11th, i cant see that happening.

ill report back when ive done it. id like to be able to test a before and after so might do the upgrade at night and take some photos.

I've just ordered one also. I figured I might as well go ahead and upgrade the SL170. It is the light I use most, because it mounts on my Support-a-light kit. The other light doesn't.

ok so i received the $130 hid upgrade kit for lightforce handheld spotlights (from 95soarer on ebay), no thanks to the austpost contractor who didnt even try to deliver the package to the delivery address, our office, only 1km from the post office, but marked it as 'no one in attendance' and left it at the post office (no calling card because they never came to the delivery address!!) :angry:

anyhows.. i did the upgrade.. took a before photo and an after photo lighting up the spare block next door.. its only 50m away so its not the best comparison and the crappy point and click camera isnt the best...

ill try and convince a mate to buy a sl170 and then take some side by side photos with his stock halogen and my hid.

im interested to try this out in the paddock.

halogen sl170

hid sl170

Pics never do them justice do they?

You should have noticed a marked increase in light output. Did you?

I have had a couple of bulb converters sitting in my draw for over a year now to do my two lightforce hunting lights a handheld 240 and a remote mounted 240. This thread has really motivated me to get of my arse and get a couple of ballasts and get on with it. Thanks guys. I already did my driving lights , a couple of KMart $20 ones with a $55 kit through them and they blow my mates XTG's away.

With the lightforce lights can you mount the ballasts internally anywhere for a tidier setup? and do you know how waterproof the ballasts are?

honestly i cant say that i did.. but it was such a poor test..

it definitely seemed clearer, but at such a short range even the halogen is bright.

i think a field test is required...

but you are right, the photos never do it justice.

I'd forgotten about this thread.

I converted my SL170 some weeks ago now and it is WAY better than it used to be. And that is saying something, because it was an excellent light before.

It was definitely worth the conversion.

:D :D :D :D

i went out for a run last night... yes i know it was supermoon - the worst night in 28 years to go for a shoot, but i had to do a bit more of the shed wiring for a farmer friend so he could do some welding this week in anticipation of seeding so i figured i may as well have a trundle at the same time..

i do think the hid conversion is a success... but i still find myself wanting more light... though i did turn all lights off at one stage and you really didnt need a spotlight, couldve played night cricket under that moon so its hard to tell still.

ill take it out in a fortnight and try again on a new moon.

ps. didnt see a single rabbit all night, two lonely roos was all. across 8000acres! worst night ever.