Explorer Socks ?

frosti

dont know about every one else but the only socks i iown are explorerers by holeproof in australia , they are a well made thick sock that last for years............ well they used to be !!! i purchased 4 pairs a couple of days ago and were really pissed when i tried them on, i can see skin though them . they are thin as a bugger and the bottoms which used to be really thick are now the same thickness as the tops !!!! wtf . after reading the packs small print ....... made in china . i emailed them to say how sheethouse they now are and i got a message back saying how they are made under strict supervision bla bla and sorry but thats how they are now bla bla dont give a ####. time to vote with the feet and #### them off i think

I live in my holeproof explorers. Hard to find them now. When hunting, I'll wear a pair of thinner shorter sockets, explorers over that, and my Aku hiking boots. Waterproof and warm feet all day and night.

Rays in Abury still have some, maybe checkout your local rays, you might find some older stock.

Jase

I bought half a dozen pairs earlier this year & they are good thick ones. Must be a recent change...or old stock.

Looks like I'll have to find another brand now - geez I hate shopping!

Yep...just when your onto something good they go ahead and change it into an inferior product. Thats marketing for you though, earn a good customer base with a good product then try to make it for half the price with lesser quality and expect your loyal customers to be happy with it. I stocked up on explorers last year when they were on sale but this is sad news indeed. Not happy!!!

There are two sorts (at least) out now... one are advertised as wool blend - these are the thick ones we all have warn and loved. The others are the cheaper ones and, although they are also wool blend, they are much much thinner! They also bare the same packaging as the original ones.

They charge like a wounded bull any way, you'd think they should be of quality still!!!

I have been on the sock hunt for 2 years. My old and well loved KinGee work socks have given me 10 years of service,and no holes just wool dags on them, were $13.00 a pair. And like all other good socks they are now gone due to cost and lack of sales.

I again went on a hunt, after good socks,right now im trialing HORIZON and about $35.00 a pair as well as some from one of those expensive ski gear shops, which were cheap and thick but they feel cold. Im after a pair of possum and merino blend to see what they are like.

Not sure about you guys but lousy socks make my feet ache.

And the Horizon are nothing special, to thin IMO.

I cant handle those socks that have the towel like inner in them you foot slides around.

I have a collection of all makes of socks that have been tried out once.

And im still on the hunt. The woman thinks i have a fetish for socks.

i'm with you on the explorers optic, always wear them, always have, got some given to me on fathers day last week and they are no where near the same as they used to be,

whats the world coming to!

I have been on the sock hunt for 2 years. My old and well loved KinGee work socks have given me 10 years of service,and no holes just wool dags on them, were $13.00 a pair. And like all other good socks they are now gone due to cost and lack of sales.

I again went on a hunt, after good socks,right now im trialing HORIZON and about $35.00 a pair as well as some from one of those expensive ski gear shops, which were cheap and thick but they feel cold. Im after a pair of possum and merino blend to see what they are like.

Not sure about you guys but lousy socks make my feet ache.

And the Horizon are nothing special, to thin IMO.

I cant handle those socks that have the towel like inner in them you foot slides around.

I have a collection of all makes of socks that have been tried out once.

And im still on the hunt. The woman thinks i have a fetish for socks.

not cheap but this site has some great socks

http://www.mongrelsocks.com.au/products.cfm?id=7

I wear explorers when hunting - I have used them all the time in NZ

I did buy a couple of pairs of far more expensive hiking socks for my last trip to NZ this year as well as a few new pairs of explorers. The explorers won hands down.

With the explorers there are different types - about 4 from what I have found out already - some have less wool and more nylon and different blends of fabric.

The explorers that you need to buy are the socks that have the most wool in them and the least amount of nylon etc in them - these are very thick socks. You need to read the fabric blend on the sock packaging

Bugger are you kidding? I have about 5 pairs of the suckers and LOVE them.. whenever gumboots, hiking or work boots go on then the Explorers are there for me.. I'll have to take extra good care of them now that they're shite.

There are two sorts (at least) out now... one are advertised as wool blend - these are the thick ones we all have warn and loved. The others are the cheaper ones and, although they are also wool blend, they are much much thinner! They also bare the same packaging as the original ones.

They charge like a wounded bull any way, you'd think they should be of quality still!!!

Actually there must be 3 sorts.

I've worn Explorers almost daily for years, but can't wear the wool socks. So I've always worn the Cotton Explorers. I have pairs I'm still wearing, which are at least 8 1/2-9 years old. I wear them at work every day in my Blunnies.

I was just thinking the other day, I need to buy some more. Now I better get onto it ASAP.

Hey guys i have recently been going through this same issue i work 12 hour shifts in heavy work boots and the socks are importent i have all types of explorers "original" "wool blend" and "extreme heat tested firefighter version" just recently tried a new brand i was recommended in a safety gear shop the brand is "bamboo" and they are so much better than explorers nice and thick and extremely comfortable.

cheers

LMAO, you guys must have princess toes. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time reading about all the tender tootsies. Hahaha

I just wear the el cheapo supermarket socks and they do me fine.

I like to have a good shoe though.

LMAO, you guys must have princess toes. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time reading about all the tender tootsies. Hahaha

Well you know what they say FG.

"Happy toes, happy........."

ummm???

oh :blink: :blink: :unsure: :unsure:

Yea, I do too, but when I am wearing my boots for a long time I end up with blisters if I don't have good socks on. Explorers or (some other brand I cant recall) are what I normally keep on hand, they do a great job of keeping it comfy in there

i was having a laugh to ........ a queenslander that wears shoes ????????????????? wtf Edited by frosti

I wear them at work every day in my Blunnies.

likewise. id have about 20 pairs i reckon.

after reading the packs small print ....... made in china .

you may have caught a story recently in the business news (if you get into that sort of thing) regarding 'pacific brands' sudden return to profit?

anyhow, by slashing jobs and outsourcing labour to china they are again back in the black. so now many of our fav brands like holeproof and bonds are made in china..

its not the end of the world, its just economics. if they didnt move offshore the brand would no longer exist. at least now you still have the option of their product and you can choose not to purchase if you like :)

"Earnings are expected to benefit from the impact of off-shore sourcing" the company said.

http://www.businessspectator.com.au/bs.nsf/Article/Pacific-Brands-recovers-to-profit-8MVQG?opendocument&src=rss