Need New Hunting Boots, Okay All What's The Best Boots

Hi All

Time to upgrade my 3 year old Blundstone black leather, high lace up boots which have now split the leather just above the rubber sole.

Now the things leak and that is bad !! They have been great but it's time for some new ones.

I called into the local shop today and really liked the look of the Stoney Creek Rusa Boots. Had a google around and some people love them some don't.

The price tag doesn't bother me and I would really like to buy boots from a actual shop so I can get a pair that fits correctly.

I'm massive on buying as much gear as I can from the US but getting the size wrong, even by 1/2 a size is turning me off buy boots online.

Anyone use the Rusa boots or know of another that is similar they can recommend.

I have a mate with Danner Pronghorns and he likes his. The Rusa boots are about two lace links lower which is right on the limit but still fine for height.

Things I like in a boot:

-Good ankle support, and generally a higher design (army boot height or similar)

-Reasonably soft sole for stalking

-Reasonable waterproofing, I know they will probably get a bit of water/moisture in them but the less the better (I know most boots claim they are waterproof, Lets face it most are not)

-Lighter weight and not to hot. (definately no insulation)

FYI

I always wear my stoney creek gators anyway over the boots for extra waterproofing against wet grass etc and to keep stuff out of my socks.

Hey pig slayer,

Having tried many different boots over the years (Blundstone included) I have settled on Merrell. I have found these the most comfortable boots for hiking, hunting and general rugged ware whilst being very durable. In fact mine have lasted just over 5 years with wearing them 60%+ of the time, I would say they have approx two years left in them but would need to have the sole replaced within that time.

Pos:

- Water proof

- Durable

- Comfortable

- Middle to high cut, so provides ankle support and protection

- Made from good quality leather

- Quality Soles also

Neg:

- Within 2 years the edge of the soles tend to open where they are glued to the leather (or this happened on the older model boots), easy fix with RTV rubber and they stay water proof and then outlast other boots.

Hope this helps.

Aku are what I use. Designed as hiking boots, waterproof (got bogged in the pouring rain and bone dry feet when I got home) very comfortable, good support. Italian.

Jase