Uniden Uh076Sx Uhf

Leper

Just delivered 1 Uniden UH076SX UHF 5W radio. That was all I could afford but it seems pretty good. I still have to learn how to drive :blink: :blink: :blink: it. Does anyone have any experience with them. e.g. quality, reliability etc.

I have a UH089SX in my car. I'm guessing they are similar, just some differences in features. I've had it for several years without problem.

It works well and I get great range (for a UHF) with a 5 foot whip. The 90cm whip works fine, but gives a shorter range.

Mate I have exactly the same unit, which I bought last year for my 4wd. Couldn't afford the in dash mounted units, and wanted to have the flexibility to take with me (as an additional survival item, albeit rather heavy) and also for fishing in the kayak. So far I've only used it as-is, and no worries keeping in touch with convoy. Very clear and good reception even from kms away (not sure how far, but way outta sight) but that's not in the bush. You would know quite well about the selection and effect of antennae I sure so I won't go there.. Just one thing that worries me: the rubber knob which is supposed to cover up the jack on top of the unit to make it 'waterproof' (the unit is described as splashproof at least) - it's so loose on mine that I have no confidence using it as-is on my kayak! I would put it in one of those UHF waterproof soft-cases. Otherwise the battery life is excellent. Did you know, that you can mount the whole base+unit in the car, get an antenna set + cables + jack + in-car power jack, all installed in the car, and effectively you have a 5kW in-car unit, which you can also bring with you! The reason I bought it. All that's needed now is to have another handheld unit, and then this one can be the base unit while I'm away from camp. I haven't figured out or test the capability of relaying over long-distances (forgot what it's called but the unit can do it). My hopes were to have an in-house unit, so I can stay in touch with my wife at home..but terrain will have a lot to do with it, I suppose. VHF would be a more realistic application for that, but if i had the money i'd..never mind. You know.

Have fun.

Edited by sirusa

Sorry. I just did a search and see now that they are very different. Yours is hand held where as mine is an in car CB.

Sorry. I just did a search and see now that they are very different. Yours is hand held where as mine is an in car CB.

Aren't you supposed to on holidays <_<

Thanks guy's. I thought it was alright otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. Some places have it for over $300.00(rip off) dollars so my $250.00 odd delivered + insurance sounded alright. As I said before just need to learn how to drive it and I'll be jake. Thank god for the Interweb. Thanks sirusa for the heads up on the car mounting kit. Never even thought of that. I'll get that and another radio down the track for the same reasons you mentioned. I'll have to wait and see about the rubber plug thingy. Might take your advice there as well and get a water proof pouch. I remember using them when I was in life saving driving the IRB's. Might forgo the the harness though, just a bit cumbersome plus I'd look a real knob all strapped up. I have heard of people using a large zip lock bag as a temporary measure.

:D :D :D :D

Aren't you supposed to on holidays <_<

hahaha

I am and the CB was very useful for talking to truckies on the drive across the paddock too. ;) ;)

I'll be bringing some toys home too. I went into Gunpro in Dubbo yesterday.

im not a fan of mine.. i bought it for the same reasons as you but its pretty rubbish in the car..

i have just fitted a 90cm uniden whip and run the cable inside the cab to connect to the handheld and that really makes a difference.

im still not convinced its as good as a built in 5w so i feel a bit ripped off... so ive resigned myself to getting a real 2way for the car eventually.