Havalon Knives

JasonSelmes

I decided a i needed as skinning knife as i dont currently have one in my arsenal. I heard good things about Havalon Knives and there replaceable scalpel blades. I got it today and it seems pretty sturdy and is sharp as hell.

Anyone got one and how do they like theirs?

I might try skinning a few rabbits aswell this weekend and see how it fares.

post-10007-090200300 1290580209_thumb.jpg

Yeah mate I got the orange one its a ball tearer.

Keep it in my pack and an ex boner fillet knife of a mate

the Havalon is a beast cut my finger open breasting a duck didnt even know till the next morning and the falp of skin snagged on the towel :lol:

you will like it

one of deer mags has a review on them and the bloke bones out a whole deer with the same blade. And LGS bloke rekons a bloke used 3 blades to bone out a Buff the week before I got mine

Cheers Cam

Still havent got any binos yet. will be going cabelas I rekon had a look tonight at LGS and now way im paying what they want.not when you can get it for a poofteenth of the price in US

Edited by cameronpatrol

It looks good Jason we can throw it at the rabbits when we run out of bullets mate? I don't know what type mine is I had it for 35 yrs, at least you can change the blades on them thats good idea

They are very good knives and will do way more than you expect. I have taken a whole big red hind skin off with one blade. I took off and caped an old boar with 2 blades and even then I could have probably got away with one but why bother the blades are cheap. I managed to get the whole head skin off a buffalo for boiling I did snap one around the horn though. I also did my whole sambar cape and face skin with 2 blades as well so they are well up to the task and hold a decent edge for the worth that we do.

I keep half long blades in the pouch and half short so that when you have the cape off something you can then swap over to cape the face with the shorter scalpel blade.

Main reason being that when you use the Havalon with the 60xt blade (from memory) you dont need to carry another knife. The scaples are only good for getting the head skin off and splitting other than that have no practical use for taking a cape or skin off let alone meat.

The blades that you mentioned for $20 for 100 will also fit in the havalon if thats what you like caping with.

Also I got mine with blades from the states for just over $50

I got it from Ebay man... $75 or something like that. See how i go over the weekend and see if its useful :-)

Yea I was looking at a few, but they are all from the US.

Is there any problems when it comes to importing a knife from overseas?

Yea I was looking at a few, but they are all from the US.

Is there any problems when it comes to importing a knife from overseas?

No problems at all ShadowAssassin , i got mine off ebay from the us with extra blades for just over $50au . Be carefull with them as they are so sharp u dont know u have a cut till u see blood . If i have a big hard hunt planned its the only knife that goes into the daypack to save weight.

joel.

Hang on, so you say that the scalpel blades are the same as the Havalon but they are no good for cutting up the deer but the Havalon is?

I have cut up two sambar with my scalpel and its been great. Went through about 6 blades on each.

Just pointing out that there is a cheaper alternative to the Havalon :)

No not at all the 60xt is a long blade that doesn't fit in a scapel handel like you use, the havalon can cater for 2 blade styles. The tracer 22 is the one you want to look up might make it a bit clearer.

Butchering a sambar with a scapel is impressive.