Gunmounted Torches

Muzzelman

ive been beating myself up all day deciding what i should and how i should do it.

bullet has been bitten and ordered the L2 body with the pressure switch and 18650 extension so i can run 2x 18650 batts, last night i ordered the XML from kdomain, few days ago ordered the nylon strap with 2x 18650 batt and charger for the 6P but now been told doesnt fit.

am i missing anything? :blink:

im itching for all these parts to arrive so i can put this puppy together. this is gonna be one badass moded L2. B)

who needs to whack them with powerpoints when you can burn them where they stand!!! :D

All you need are:

Torch

Batteries to suit

Charger to suit with plug adaptor if the charger comes with a US plug.

Some way of mounting the torch to the scope - the Deal Extreme rubber and Velcro block works perfectly for torches the size of the L2.

Tip - with extended use, the LED dropins for the L2 can get warm to hot. To improve heatsinking, you can cut some tin foil into a strip and wrap that around the body of the dropin so it fits snug in the torch body, then install the dropin into the torch. The tinfoil contacts the torch body and helps draw the heat away from the dropin, and into the torch body and away. Helps keep the dropin cool.

I ordered this one recently:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260549102309

Looks pretty sweet, will post up a review when I get it. I might even have a go at trying to mount it on the rifle (a scope ring to connect it to the existing scope might be the ticket).

Merlin, thats a serious light you got there, you might find your not going to get much running time out of that. :)

I ordered this one recently:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260549102309

Looks pretty sweet, will post up a review when I get it. I might even have a go at trying to mount it on the rifle (a scope ring to connect it to the existing scope might be the ticket).

I didn't know you could get the sun to run off batteries? :lol: :lol:

G'day Fellas

Ive been reading this post and it has confused the sh!t outta me :lol:

Ive found this torch Edi-T Thumbs up or thumbs down for this one

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/EDI-T-FOCUSING-OPTICAL-LENS-300-LUMEN-LED-SPOT-LIGHT-/220665416555?pt=AU_Hunting&hash=item3360af0b6b

Im just after a torch to put on the 22 and the 30-06 for foxes etc more practice with deer rife on bunnies and foxes the better.:)

Dont want to go nuts on price roughly 150 bucks

I like a nice spot on my target not really fused about seeing all around I want to be able to see my target clear out to 100 to 150 and if further its a bonus.

Will this edi-t do the job??

if not can you rekomend one that will or Fenring can you build a custom torch for me:)

Cheers Cam

Went through all this in detail recently and spent more time than I'd care to remember reading through candlepowerforums.com and the like. The end result of my research is below, and I can guarantee that for the price these torches will blow you away with their performance. My bro-in-law and I quite happily spotted, scoped and picked off a roo at 120m last weekend using a single LED torch.

All the bits are from www.dealextreme.com and have free shipping. The shipping does take a while though - my order took a little over a month to arrive. Just search by the SKU number below for each item.

$13.27 SKU16240 UltraFire WF-501B Cree XR-E 250 lumen torch (small high intensity LED - great for concentrating into a tightly focused beam)

$ 1.92 SKU5297 28mm aspheric glass optic (parabolic lens that concentrates LED output into a tightly focused beam)

$ 4.01 SKU01025 Superfire gun mount pressure pad (if you want pressure pad operation of LED)

$ 9.57 SKU20392 Twin pack of TrustFire Protected 3.7V 2400mAh 18650 Li-ion batteries (don't be tempted to buy higher output ones at this stage ... testing on candlepowerforums.com shows these to provide the highest sustained output of any of the cheapy batteries, and the protection should stop them exploding under charge...)

$13.90 SKU21972 UltraFire WF-139 battery charger (independent charging of 2x 18650 batteries off 12v socket)

So that's a total of $42.67 for charger, 2 batteries and a single light with pressure switch. Extra lights with 2 batteries are $24.76 each from that point. Plus mounts to suit your rifle.

Once you get it, take the head off the torch. Inside, behind the glass lens, is a screw in retainer ring. Carefully undo it using a small screwdriver or pliers. The glass lens will then drop out, and you can put the aspheric lens (curve outwards) in its place. Make sure you have the O-ring in place between the torch head bevel and lens. Replace the retainer ring.

Then take the 'drop in' module consisting of the reflector and LED. The reflector will unscrew from the LED and mount. Unscrew it and paint the reflector matt black (Killrust do a good matt black spraypaint). Let it dry then screw it back together and mount it back on the torch body.

Finally, remove the rear tailcap with push button and replace with the pressure switch tailcap.

You should now have a 'super thrower' as they're known, producing an ultra-tight spot with minimal spill light. Outside with scope I'll be astounded if you can't see easily out past 120m in the dead of night.

Have fun :D

RiflewithLEDs6of6.jpg

RiflewithLEDs5of6.jpg

G'day Fellas

Ive been reading this post and it has confused the sh!t outta me :lol:

Ive found this torch Edi-T Thumbs up or thumbs down for this one

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/EDI-T-FOCUSING-OPTICAL-LENS-300-LUMEN-LED-SPOT-LIGHT-/220665416555?pt=AU_Hunting&hash=item3360af0b6b

Im just after a torch to put on the 22 and the 30-06 for foxes etc more practice with deer rife on bunnies and foxes the better.:)

Dont want to go nuts on price roughly 150 bucks

I like a nice spot on my target not really fused about seeing all around I want to be able to see my target clear out to 100 to 150 and if further its a bonus.

Will this edi-t do the job??

if not can you rekomend one that will or Fenring can you build a custom torch for me:)

Cheers Cam

Looks like a good torch mate.

I bought my EDI-T P4-250 from these guys.

That EdI kit is over priced IMO.

Especially if you look at this:

http://www.solarforce-sales.com/product_detail.php?id=121&s=26&t=LF

You get the 2x18650 torch body, regular 320 lumen Cree XPG dropin, and the Pro-1 monster thrower head, which is one of the longest throwing LED torches you can get.

On top of that, if you want a compact torch, the same shop sells the single 18650 L2 body which can take the same dropin and the Pro-1 head.

Batteries and charger won't add a lot more.

The same seller is also just about turfing out the Skyline 1 thrower for about $28!

cheers moph

It sounds like a tuff machine you have built.

EDI-T P4-250 is that bigger or smaller than the one i put up??

I thought buying and choosing a gun was hard enough thing to do :lol:

This is as bad :)

The P4 is smaller. It runs on only 3xAAA's and puts out 250lm.

Yep, those will both do just fine on a budget. The WF008 throws a very tight spot a long way.

Charger:

http://www.dealextre...ls.dx/sku.13820

Batteries: http://www.dealextre...ls.dx/sku.20392

Nylon scope mount: http://www.dealextre...ls.dx/sku.12000 Will work fine with both the torches shadowassassin posted, and scopes up to about 50mm. Can also atach to barrel, or even a shotgun barrel/

Adaptor (the charger above has a US style plug) http://www.dealextre...ils.dx/sku.2296

+999999999999

I have all that listed. I purchased 3 tourch mounts in case one broke... cost me under $30 for it all. The WF-008 is the best recoil thrower.... I love mine... Id say it wips the wold eyes. I havent had it long enough yet to see how it fares long term but thus far for $20 im stoked!

this is the one i have ----> Recoil Thrower

In my opnion its the best touch i have. Little to know light spill and its geat easily out to 150 metres on those foxes. Make sure you get the charger and the re chargables as they are costly to buy the duracell or energiser throw aways are about $10 each. So if you need 2 its going to be $20. Rechargables are the way to go

I haven't actually had the opportunity to put one of my aspheric lens torches up against a Q5 recoil thrower, but I'm pretty confident it would out-throw it.

The recoil throwers use an XR-E Q5 LED which is rated at 230 lumens at 1.2A. They position the LED near the front glass element firing backwards into the reflector, to concentrate the beam into a tight hotspot with some spill. If you look at the beamshots on dealextreme there is still a fair bit of spill though (wasted light that's not going into the hotspot).

The 501B that's used as the 'host' for the aspheric torch has an XR-E R2 LED which is rated at 250 lumens at 1A. It's a more efficient module than the Q5 that produces higher surface intensity with lower current draw. The aspheric lens captures pretty much all the light projecting out the lens and focuses it into a tight hotspot with almost no spill. Because the LED module is mounted at the back of the reflector, it is easier to disperse heat from the module into the torch body. The recoil throwers can have issues with LEDs burning out due to high temperatures, as the main path of heat transfer is through the narrow aluminium 'bridge' that holds the LED in position.

I don't have beamshots for the aspheric lens torches from above like the DX ones, but the shot of it against the wall in my previous post shows how little spill there is. The red tinge in that shot by the way is because I had both the red and white torches on at once.

One thing's for sure though ... any of the recoil throwers or aspheric lens torches are just incredible compared to conventional incandescent lights. You won't go terribly worng with any of them.

Moph, I have put aspheric lenses in my Solarforce L2 before, using the XR-E R2 dropin. Compared side by side, IMO the recoil thrower has the edge, slightly - the spot is also marginally bigger.

You do lose a bit of efficiency into the lens setup, especially the cheap DX lenses, whereas the recoil thrower uses a regular flat glass lens.

UF-008 beam at 10 feet.

Picture007.jpg

At about 13m.

Picture008.jpg

I have an L2 setup with an XR-E P4 in red, and use an aspheric lens on that - it just doesn't throw far enough without one.

I will say one other thing - that Solarforce Pro1 head blows any of the above into the weeds! :lol:

Good to know fenring - now I might have to buy a recoil thrower for comparison :lol::rolleyes:

Those Solarforce lights are sweet ... just a little pricey :(

Guy on candlepowerforum is currently getting some 27.4mm glass aspherics ground ... got dibs on two of those to replace the cheapy DX optics in mine, so will be interested to see whether that makes much difference.

I have a few Solarforce L2's - they are just so handy and you can "Lego" them in a huge variety of ways. Spready emitters, tight spots, different coloured LED's, two 18650 batteries or one, or the L2M which uses a single CR123. And as new LED P60 units come out they are cheaply upgradeable. For example, the new XLM which looks quite promising.

And of course the big banger Pro1 head which is easily a TRUE 200m light, with heaps of spill besides.

Went through all this in detail recently and spent more time than I'd care to remember reading through candlepowerforums.com and the like. The end result of my research is below,

All the bits are from www.dealextreme.com

$ 9.57 SKU20392 Twin pack of TrustFire Protected 3.7V 2400mAh 18650 Li-ion batteries (

$13.90 SKU21972 UltraFire WF-139 battery charger (independent charging of 2x 18650 batteries off 12v socket)

moph: well done and thanks go to you for sharing all that info you collated.

i was coming here to ask if anyone had a recommendation for 18650s and a charger from dx and you have obliged in advance! good onya!

im getting a little tired of looking for cr123s for my fenix tk11, and ill be damned if i pay $34 for a pair of duracells at bunnings.

did find a single sanyo (made in japan, best primary imo) for $7.50 on sale for $6 at ranger outdoors/getaway outdoors today.

at that price id buy half a dozen, so when they come in to stock they reckon theyll call me.

now, my only query concerns those batteries fitting into that charger. reading some of the comments on that charger, one user has reported:

Cons: - doesn't fit trustfire protected 18650 (neither blue nor black, they are up to 68mm max), need to disassemble and modify body to give more space for sliding contacts;

presumably you didnt have this trouble?

Moph,

I have the exact same setup as you. Very easy to shoot out to 150m with a decent scope. Most of my mates are amazed at how far it throws the spot out there. Very impressive setup for a few dollars and 15 mins or mucking around. I painted the reflector in matt black epoxy and it removed a fair amount of the artifacts but not all.

Edited by Dino67