Gunmounted Torches

Muzzelman

assailant - happy to help =)

No problem fitting the TrustFire Protected 18650's in ... a bit tight, sure, but that just means they don't rattle loose when offroad which is a good thing! More a hassle getting them out than in but nothing a key/pen/whatever to flick them out with won't fix. Be prepared for a wait though ... mine took somewhere over a month to arrive. Only issue with that charger (and it's generic for most of the cheapies) is that it MAY overcharge. Puts them on trickle charge once full but may still push them too hard. Should be okay so long as you grab them out within say 12 hours of full charge - I haven't had any issues thus far.

Dino67 - yep they're brilliant value IMO. Would love a Solarforce Pro1 or similar BUT for the cost will make do with the el cheapos for now. Likewise I have a few artifacts left in the halo but not many - certainly not enough to be distracting while scanning with it, and through my scope I see only the hotspot anyway.

I have a Jetbeam RRT-2 Raptor, which is an awesome torch, slightly brigter than the Eagletac P20C2 mk III. I am yet to mount it to my rifle but I have no doubt that it will perform brilliantly.

My brother in law has a wolfeyes sniper 260 which is marginally brighter than the jetbeam but nearly double the cost. :blink:

Cheers Bushy ;)

I have the Fox Hunter Zues Q5. I think it is pretty good, although being my first torch for the rifle I have nothing to comare it to. So, I just ordered one of the Ultrafire WF-008. I will be keen to do a comparison.

I have a Jetbeam RRT-2 Raptor, which is an awesome torch, slightly brigter than the Eagletac P20C2 mk III. I am yet to mount it to my rifle but I have no doubt that it will perform brilliantly.

The emitter choice in some of the Eagletacs can make a difference to how far they will throw. The XP-G tends to be floodier than the XR-E or XP-E.

GMAC - the Fox Hunter is essentially the same as a Solarforce L2, so you can easily and cheaply drop in whatever LED module tickles your fancy when better ones are developed.

No problem fitting the TrustFire Protected 18650's in

great, ill order some.

Be prepared for a wait though ... mine took somewhere over a month to arrive.

yeah thats fairly typical of DX. so long as it comes correct and in working order the first time then thats ok. dealing with missing items and faulty items is a nightmare.

expect added delays when DX shuts down for chinese new year too :rolleyes:

It's darn difficult to capture with a camera Dreganoph. Put it this way though - out spotting bunnies (or lack thereof) last night, we were able to clearly see a tree out at 165m and use the rangefinder to range it. Through a scope it has an effective range of somewhere over that. A single battery lasted almost 2 hours of constant usage too before it dimmed noticeably vs our backup torch and needed changing.

Edited by Moph

It's darn difficult to capture with a camera Dreganoph. Put it this way though - out spotting bunnies (or lack thereof) last night, we were able to clearly see a tree out at 165m and use the rangefinder to range it. Through a scope it has an effective range of somewhere over that. A single battery lasted almost 2 hours of constant usage too before it dimmed noticeably vs our backup torch and needed changing.

Thought it might be :D , I'm currently doing a bit of looking around, might buy myself a decent setup sometime soon. Compared to a lot of the older torches/spotlights they seem to be pretty damn reasonable in price for what they can do.

Have not used that particular torch. The specs say that it uses a Cree XP-G LED emitter which tends to be more floody that the older XR-E emitter. So it certainly won't be a 150m long range thrower. Should still light things up quite well at about 100m.

I received my new WF008 today. As I posted previsouly I already had the Fox Hunter Zues Q5.

The new one is considerably brighter and seems to throw a more direct beam further.

I will endeavour to take a photo of the difference between the two, but I was suprised at how much brighter the Ultrafire was.

Fenring, is there a LED module I could drop into the Fox Hunter to get it near the brightness of the Ultrafire?

Greg

Gmac, the Fox Hunter likely uses a Cree XR-E emitter which is one of the tighter beam Cree emitters. Pretty sure the Fox Hunter uses an orange peel reflector which will cut down some of the throw it could have.

You can get a replacement smooth reflector which will give the beam a slightly tighter profile, and the other thing you can do is put an aspheric lens in it, that will make the beam very similar to the tight square that the Ultrafire shoots out.

This is an empty drop-in and you just screw the textured reflector off your drop-in and screw the smooth one on.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5955

This is the aspheric lens you want.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5297

Got my Cree XM-L dropin this morning. It is very bright! If it looks this impressive during the day, it will be a WOW at night.

A great big, bright hotspot and smooth transition to spill, and lots of spill.

Beside the XR-E (spot beam) and XP-G (some spot but more spill) it blows them both away, just a lot more light going out. I estimate around 500 lumens, not the claimed 750 but still very bright. Online reviews with readings taken in a light sphere suggest around 550L at startup.

In a P60 sized reflector it won't be a long range thrower (but it will be great on a .22, airgun or shotgun) - but when someone like Solarforce put this into the Pro1 head with a smooth reflector and 2x 18650 batteries, and run at 3 amps or over, it will be a monster. B)

My dropin is an Ultrafire 3 mode (low, med and high) that came with both smooth and textured reflectors.

hi fenring, got my solarforce body, 2x 18650 batts and last arrival was the XM-L dropin.

dont get me wrong, this emitter is bloody bright but has got too much flood and not enough spot. even reflecting off the barrel on the .22 and causing a glare when i dont line my eyes properly.

anyway i can modify this to make it a more spot beam, like different glass lens, smooth relector etc.

Hi Guys,

Im in the market for a gun mounted torch for my .22lr targeting mainly rabbits. I see a lot of choices about, with technology changing just about daily, which as a result can become a bit confusing in making a decision.

I see a few people sourcing their gear from www.dealextreme.com which appears to have a large variety and cheap prices and I see some people also sourcing from ebay. Something which I like as the price suits my budget. :)

The Universal Nylon Mount from dealextreame, can someone tell me if it is easy to adjust so the light throw is in the correct position and once positioned is it rigid and does not suffer movement.

Are rigid mountings onto rifle scopes better and if so where can I source those cheaply?

I like the idea of the gun mounted light pressure pad, is the switch mounted on the forend?

I see fenring and Moph have experimented a lot, looking specifically for your opinions.

So in light of all this ( pardon the pun ) can someone recommend a good reliable cheapish setup as of January 2011 and where to source these bits and pieces from, bearing in mind that technology is changing all the time.

Edited by tommyruff