Is Homemade Ghillie Suit Worth Making

there is this youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/ghillieexpert and ive watched their videos it dosent look to hard and they really explain what they are doing i was just wondering if anyone has made a home made ghillie suit and was it worth making.

and i know hunting isnt the same as "sniping" but camo is good for hunting as well.

thanks in advance for any advice

Edited by Pochiea

Guest bigfellascott

I think i would make my own, it would be probably cheaper to buy one but i would not get the satisfaction that comes with making and using your own stuff. Great videos mate thanks for sharing.

cheers

that looks pretty cool, think i'll make one for myself some time. also it would be better making yout own as you could make it better suited to your hunting environment.

I have made several, my favourite method is the British expedient WW2 style.

All you need is 3 to 4 meters of hessian from Bunnings a big needle strong thread and a LOT of time

I have made several, my favourite method is the British expedient WW2 style.

All you need is 3 to 4 meters of hessian from Bunnings a big needle strong thread and a LOT of time

There's plenty of cheapish ones on ebay

I suppose that really depends on what "Cheapish" means to you. At the moment I can't even afford ammo to keep my eye in.

You don't need to actually buy new hessian but i haven't seen an old fashioned potato bag for a few years now.

Ghillie suits work really well for photography but I make them for therapy, keeps my hands nimble and they really only work well if you remember the rile of "Esses"

I didnt watch the vid but i've been thinking of making one for some time now, i agree you can get them pretty cheap on ebay but i mainly just want to make it out of curiosity to see how it goes. my idea is just to cut some hessian into strips about 30cm x 5cm. Then die some of them khaki, some black and leave some in original hessian brown, then sew them on to an old hunting jacket or vest in a random fashion. I'd probably put some on a hat aswell so they fall past the shoulders. Not sure how well this would work or how much it would get caught in the scrub but going to give it a try one of these days.I'd be interested to see some pix in the aussie bush if anyone has made one

I didnt watch the vid but i've been thinking of making one for some time now, i agree you can get them pretty cheap on ebay but i mainly just want to make it out of curiosity to see how it goes. my idea is just to cut some hessian into strips about 30cm x 5cm. Then die some of them khaki, some black and leave some in original hessian brown, then sew them on to an old hunting jacket or vest in a random fashion. I'd probably put some on a hat aswell so they fall past the shoulders. Not sure how well this would work or how much it would get caught in the scrub but going to give it a try one of these days.I'd be interested to see some pix in the aussie bush if anyone has made one

NO BLACK

There is no natural black in the bush; if there has been a fire though recently then there is plenty of charcoal around to use, best colours for the SE quadrant are pale greenish, dirty rust reddish and the natural colour of the hessian.

how big the strips are is determined by the surroundings, in grassland you actually don't want strips at all; just threads ( raffia is brilliant here intermixed with the hessian ) in mixed iron bark-box woodland a mix of threads and strips works well and if in alpine forest then a mix of strip sizes.

Just remember that in nature nothing is totally regular,

Full ghillie suits ( if properly made ) are very heavy and very hot, a short cape and hat or hood is much lighter and gives little away, my picture files are too big to post but i can email if contacted thru the site.

Regards

TedM

there is this youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/ghillieexpert and ive watched their videos it dosent look to hard and they really explain what they are doing i was just wondering if anyone has made a home made ghillie suit and was it worth making.

and i know hunting isnt the same as "sniping" but camo is good for hunting as well.

thanks in advance for any advice

Gday newbie,

Easy enough to make. If you buy one I suggest get one that has leaves on it not the hairy Yeti look. These are very good at concealing you but they pick up every stick snag branch you walk past.

If you have not got a lot of money then making one your self is a good idea - I think that the ASAT leaf suit is worth buying if you have the money :)

I agree the ASAT suit is awesome I have one myself

ok i have made one and tried a few different kinds of camo. however in saying that i have shot just as much game with a bow in just black shorts and say a blue shirt. i have stalked into like 15 meters of goats with a red shirt on once. i would say as long as you stick to your greens and brown colour clothing that most other things are not needed. even less needed with a gun. however if you want to make one for the fun of it like i have and go and play sniper go for it.

don't forget to put blaze orange into the mix don't want to get shot