Recomended Torches?

Joog

270, for $45 for an entire torch setup including batteries, charger, adaptor, torch and scope mount, you really can't go wrong with the UltraFire WF008 off Deal Extreme. I'll be giving it a serious trial on the rifle over the next few months. if I'm not totally impressed, I'll simply pick up another one and use this one as a backup. Win win really.

On another note guys, does the Deal Extreme delivery come via courier requiring signature at door? Or will it be via standard post (leaves it at door step or drops it at local Post Office with a come collect note left in letter box)?

MATE IT HASE 1 HOUR BATTERY LIFE

I'm after a torch and bracket to mount on a .22 for night walks. Can anyone recomend a particular one? needs to be extra bright as the old eyes arent what they used to be :(

budget up to $150

thanks.

cheers, joog

Have a look at Kizlyar knives they have a whole range of stuffincluding some very good lights!

I can highly recommend a Jetbeam RRT2 Raptor from www.ledtorchshop.com.au. It runs on either 2 CR123 or 1 18650 batteries. My Dad and brother both have the EagleTac T20C2 and the Jetbeam outperforms them. My brother in law has a wolf eyes Defender 260 and whilst it has a better throw I simply cannot get used to the square shaped beam.

Cheers Bushy :ph34r:

post-456-0-04183200-1301642756_thumb.jpg

I've been playing with my new Solarforce Masterpiece Pro-1.

This thing throws a long way - a very tightly collimated centre spot with a bit of spill out the front so you can see immediately in front of you.

Running it on 1x18650 but it can take two, or 4 RCR123's for more oomph - not needed for the .17HMR as it lights things up 250m away or more.

Big, deep head with a smooth reflector and the head is 57mm across. :)

It's overkill for the HMR but might occasionally see some use on the stubble and ploughed paddocks in NSW.

OK, OK - I just wanted one. :lol:

I am a bit new to this technology (read old bugger :rolleyes: ) but I don't see the lenser P7 getting much of a mention, why is this, is it because of the battery setup with 4 aaa or is it just not as good a beam as the other gear mentioned, price ?. I wouldn't mind giving one a go on the 22 magnum and am just a bit unsure of it all. The more searching and reading the more confusing it all becomes with cree's and watts and difusers :D thats why I was leaning to the Led lenser as I have used that gear for many many years fly fishing at night and it has never failed me.

Cheers

A number of reasons mate - the battery setup isn't as good as a lithium ion 18650 as far as runtime goes. Then there is the price - there are lights that can blow the Lenser away for 1/3rd of the price. The adjustable focus feature can be very handy - but there are other lights that offer it, and TBH not everyone needs that feature or is willing to pay for it.

fair enough mate, that all makes good sense, thanks for the info, what should I be looking for on the big auction site , I see the brands mentioned earlier in this thread, so do I stick with eagle tac, ultrafire, solarforce, or are some of the other Chinese ones OK

Like these ??

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170514821923&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/7W-Q5-CREE-LED-Zoom-Flashlight-Torch-battery-charger-/160571929414?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item2562d53346

thought this was a fair price for a P7

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120698766993&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Cheers

A lot of people get bamboozled by lumen figures. You know, lights that have 500 lumens, 900 lumens and so on.

All that is telling you is what the claimed lumen figures are, or how much ight is coming out of the end of the torch. It won't tell you how that light is being projected. Different LED emitters project the light in different ways. Some are specifically designed to project light in a more narrow beam - the Cree XR-E (often just called an R2 or Q5) for example. Others are designed to be floody - the Cree MCE for one. So while a torch with the big MCE emitter in it might claim to have say 500 lumens it will be a shorter range floody unit. So the torch with the small XR-E with a lower 200 lumens will actually tend to throw further. Other things, like the width, depth and finish on the reflector will also affect throw and sread.

Some ads will just feature outrageous claims of lumen figures - figures that those familiar with the lingo know are just about impossible.

It can be very confusing for people unfamiliar with the jargon of it all. For that reason, the other day I started on a bit of an article to post up here as a sort of beginner's guideline to LED torches for hunting and shooting. It's not finished yet, but I hope to haev it all done and posted in the next week or so.

As to what torch you get - there are some quite good cheap Chinese ones out there. Some not so good too! It just depends on what use you want it for - a thrower, a flooder, how big can it be, do you want to rifle mount it, and so on.

I have a night hunter by wolfeyes scope mounted on my .22 hornet. It is perfect for this rifle. I can id animals at 150 and out to 200 meters through the scope. It has screw type focus and can be used as a flood or spot. It was not cheap but it is very well made. The beam is square in shape shape and is very bright. I dont know anything about other torches all i can say is the night hunter is an excellent torch. I bought it offf www.wolfeyes.com