Spot Light Mounts

jack32

ey bigfella great post mate, really good website.

i was having a look at this.. http://www.magnalight.com/pc-196-52-mm5-magnetic-base-w-200lbs-of-magnetic-grip-for-spotlights-cameras-binoculars-gps-systems.aspx

and noticed the the bolt that attaches to the spotloght is 3/8-16 stud and the spotlights we purchase here our lightforces or nite stalkers have a 5/16 BSW stud hole..

is there a way to convert this stud size without having to run the die on it? is there a like male to female (3/8-5/16 socket? im a plumber and in copper fiting and brass fitting we have adaptors) mayvbe i might have a look around and see what can be done. be a good buy if you can. might even be a prosperous business :lol:

the magnetic bas is a brilliant way of supporting your spotlight without havin to drill un nessecary holrs in the roof and what not, i know there is window mount but this is just so much simpler!!

even has 200 pound of magnetism!

Some of the roofs of vehicles would have a dent put in it with that.

It happens already with the Suction cup mounting system on newer vehicles

- they seem to have gone to a thinner metal now.

ohh darn it.. lol

ye they went to a thinner metal but vharge a higher price!!

even if you put it on your metal mirror arm as jack32 mentioned , it should be sweet then aye

Guest bigfellascott

ey bigfella great post mate, really good website.

i was having a look at this.. http://www.magnalight.com/pc-196-52-mm5-magnetic-base-w-200lbs-of-magnetic-grip-for-spotlights-cameras-binoculars-gps-systems.aspx

and noticed the the bolt that attaches to the spotloght is 3/8-16 stud and the spotlights we purchase here our lightforces or nite stalkers have a 5/16 BSW stud hole..

is there a way to convert this stud size without having to run the die on it? is there a like male to female (3/8-5/16 socket? im a plumber and in copper fiting and brass fitting we have adaptors) mayvbe i might have a look around and see what can be done. be a good buy if you can. might even be a prosperous business :lol:

the magnetic bas is a brilliant way of supporting your spotlight without havin to drill un nessecary holrs in the roof and what not, i know there is window mount but this is just so much simpler!!

even has 200 pound of magnetism!

Hi mate,

I would imagine there is some sort of adaptor out there that could be used, if not might be time to manufacture one! I was also thinking of maybe getting some sort of nut that fits it and welding a rod of some sort onto that to give you a bit more length incase it is needed and attach the light to that (bit hard to explain here) I reckon it would be good to mount on the door or on the roof which then can be operated by someone on say a ute type setup.

was wondering if anyone one has or has heard of a spot light mount on the mirror on the side of a ute?

please post pics.

cheers jacko B)

I like to have the spotty sitting as high as possible and would imagine that it might be a bit low mounted on the mirror? I use the lightforce suction cups but am looking at fabricating some sort of simple bracket to mount the bar the light sits on onto the roof rack instead. Always paranoid that the lights going to pop off at 80km p/h. This happened to a mate already as he was moving from one property to the next and hit one good bump too many. Didn't realise and lost the whole setup.

Hi mate,

I would imagine there is some sort of adaptor out there that could be used, if not might be time to manufacture one! I was also thinking of maybe getting some sort of nut that fits it and welding a rod of some sort onto that to give you a bit more length incase it is needed and attach the light to that (bit hard to explain here) I reckon it would be good to mount on the door or on the roof which then can be operated by someone on say a ute type setup.

ye i know what you mean about the nut. just weld the nut on a plate and have about 500mm of threaded rod so you can adjust higher or lower.

ive got a few purlin clips that have this same design. def. going to look into this one. cant pass up a bracket that is 24.00 american as opposed to a suction mount or window mount thats 179.00 here

I like to have the spotty sitting as high as possible and would imagine that it might be a bit low mounted on the mirror? I use the lightforce suction cups but am looking at fabricating some sort of simple bracket to mount the bar the light sits on onto the roof rack instead. Always paranoid that the lights going to pop off at 80km p/h. This happened to a mate already as he was moving from one property to the next and hit one good bump too many. Didn't realise and lost the whole setup.

Hairyhunter.

They shouldn't come off

Only had mine comes "unstuck" once in 25 years but I hold onto the handle anyway

and to be honest, I hadn't quite cleaned the roof enough.

I also use water to add cohesion to the cups.

Anywho Jacko....I saved these a while back as I thought they might be a good alternative especially when solo. Can't remember where I got them , may even be from this forum I think. Anyway if you are the developer chime in mate. Also sits quite high up, which I like. All credit goes to anon and I hop it helps.

P1000450.JPGP1000457.JPG

P1000462.JPGP1000464.JPG

Hairyhunter.

They shouldn't come off

Only had mine comes "unstuck" once in 25 years but I hold onto the handle anyway

and to be honest, I hadn't quite cleaned the roof enough.

I also use water to add cohesion to the cups.

Nitro, I know, I also get a bit lazy sometimes and had one cup or the other pop off occasionally, but my real name should be Murphy, it is inevitabley going to happen to me :D

wow hh, i like your setup.. that beats the pants off my lightforce window mount... its simply not high enough and the reflection off the white bonnet means you cant see a darn thing..

yours is brilliant, well done anon.

Assailant, all I have is the saved pics mate, I use the good old suction cups on my roof. I collect good ideas and keep them on file for future reference in case I (or someone else needs them). I feel really guilty for not keeping the details of the guy who posted the pics, Hate to take credit for other peoples good work.....but glad you like

Guest bigfellascott

My old one. Made from scrap. Old car spotty was changed to a 11" powerbeam. Ended up with a handle mount in the roof.

Thats a great setup mate, looks the part.

Are there any probs with the roof mounted setups that people should be aware of?

cheers mate

Guest bigfellascott

Nitro, I know, I also get a bit lazy sometimes and had one cup or the other pop off occasionally, but my real name should be Murphy, it is inevitabley going to happen to me :D

Hi Hairy,

how do you find the suction cup setup?

My mate has the same setup and we found it would come off fairly regularly, apparently if the bottom of the cup is scratched they dont work as well.

cheers mate

Hi Hairy,

how do you find the suction cup setup?

My mate has the same setup and we found it would come off fairly regularly, apparently if the bottom of the cup is scratched they dont work as well.

cheers mate

G'day Scott, I have had it a few years now and its generally really good, got it to prevent putting a hole in my roof of the landcruiser.

When I mount it properly by keeping at least that part of the roof polished and wipe the dust and crap of with a wet cloth, put some moisture on the rubber cups, then they stick. Only a couple of times when I was in a hurry to get out there (Lazy) then I found that one of the cups popped off, easily fixed as long as you don't loose the setup before you find out about it. Lightforce say not to exceed 80km/ph I think?

I've done 100 on bumpy paddocks and 120 on dirt track and they were fine. I think they just cover their asses. Also I look after the rubber cups, don't let them be knocked about too much to make them last, nevertheless they have had a good run, but spares are available, dread to think of the price though (I guess lust another Aussie manufacturer sticking it to the public who supported them and gave them a good name, when they were nobodies. ) Work well, very overpriced is the final roundup.

When I mount it properly by keeping at least that part of the roof polished and wipe the dust and crap of with a wet cloth, put some moisture on the rubber cups, then they stick.

Also I look after the rubber cups, don't let them be knocked about too much to make them last.

You summed it up well and hit the key points..

When I get home, I wipe down / wash my cups and spray Armourall on them,

then wrap a plastic bag round them so it stays on - otherwise the rubber dries out.

I am just about to replace my rubber cups - which were purchased in 1983 !!!.

So over 25 years with one set !!!.

I'll let you know how much they cost.