Importing Collars

rimfire

Any one had any experience importing tracking collars?

Johnson telemetry have a sale starting Sept, Collars $100US

They have the 151 freq legal for tracking here and dont seem to be a prohibited import going by the Customs web site. (Shock collars are prohibited item)

Any comments/experience with this would be appreciated,

Cheers Rimfire

Rimfire

I work in international freight / customs clearance - i have seen many of the zap collars seized and you can almost be guaranteed that Customs will inspect them but if it does not have any zapping capability you will be fine

they will pay 5% duty - but if you keep the total FOB value below $1000AUD it will be Duty/GST Free

Thanks fellas,

It looks like no problems, Ill give it a go I recon.

Mark, you mention Wildlife collars, did ya get em in 151 Band? My contact there said they didnt have 151 anymore. They seem to be the most popular in the states and most pricey

Balty, do ya recon its worth me going through a customs clearance broker to handle the paperwork?

Cheers and thanks again for your info, very much appreciated,

Regards Rimfire

not sure about the customs tax, etc. as i ended up trading some old collars for new ones and they were marked as maintenance or replacements which attracted no customs charge, just the sale price. if you can talk to the USA guy direct he might do this for you? which will be cheaper.

the other oz freq is 173. (please check)

Thanks Mark,

Opps,It was actually Marshal not Wildlife collars that didnt have the 151 Band,

How did your wildlife collars go?

Thanks all again for info,

Rimfire

Rimfire I am far from an expert but the last 6 months or so I have been testing a few different types of Wildlife collars with a locally made receiver , the model that has the interchangeable batteries has by far the strongest signal in there range (I think they state this on there website). I havnt had any dramas with mine and would not hunt without them now.

It is not illegal to imort tracking systems into Australia from any country, regardless of frequency. It is ILLEGAL to use them however unless they carry a "C" tick approval which can only be applied to the item by an Australian supplier who has had the equipment tested by an independent laboratory to ensure it meets Australian radio system standards. It is not SIMPLY a question of whether the frequencies are legal.

Use of non "C" ticked radio based products carry large fines and confiscation of equipment.

How do I know? I run a business importing radio based systems.

Cheers.

No Bull

yes No Bull I have herd that before and understand that’s a 100% correct , should that “C” be present on each collar? Reason I ask is a mate has 5 ‘tracker”collars that he bought here in Australia and there doesn’t seem to be any stamps on them.

No Bull, Thanks for the update.

Ive also found out, It is also a problem if they need to be returned for repair or battery change, no used/soiled equipment will be allowed back into Aus by Quarantine.

Mark, do you know the model of the wildlife colars that give good range.

Cheers Rimfire

Mark

It can be either the "C" tick with the suppliers registration number on it e.g. N12345 or the suppliers name and address is also OK. It should be on every transmitter, in as permanent form as practicable. On imported goos that generally means a heavy duti vinyle sticker.

It is possible in your mates case that it was simply a quality control issue from the distributor (they forgot!!).

All Tracker brand equipment in Australia has only one distributor (and a number of dealers) and it is unlikely they would forget.

If the collars were not in the 151 or 173 MHz frequency range (for Tracker), I would be starting to worry!!

Cheers

No Bull

Thanks No Bull,

Do you know who distributes Wildlife collars in Aus? Approximate cost for the magnum convertable?

Cheers Rimfire

Rimfire

I sort of do know, but have not been impressed with the technical knowledge of the person involved, so would prefer not to recommend.

If however you send a quick e-mail to wildlife materials in the states they will tell you who their dealers are and their contact details. that DOES NOT mean they have "C" tick approval ..you will have to ask the individuals.

Also remember that you do not have to use the same brand collars and receivers, they just need to be in the same frequency range. If you already have a Wildlife receiver it should be around the 151MHz range and your choices in Australia would include Wildlife, Tracker, Titley, SirTrack...off the top off my head.

Cheers

No Bull

Aussie distributors sell the wildlife collars at ridiculous prices !!

No Bull, -- could you order your collar from the USA and then take it to get C approved yourself at a lab. would this attract a charge?

timberman

Yes you could...as a one off test probably in the range $1000-$2000.

Now you see why transmitting collars from Aussie dealers APPEAR high!!!

Also take into account, duty, freight, insurance, advertising, service, fuel cost, banking fees, internet costs, phone charges & the tiny Aus market....you get the idea!!!

And a Govt who decided our legal frequencies would be different to the major market, the US...what would you expect!!!

Cheers

No Bull

No Bull,

No worries your advice/experience is gratefully taken on board.

Ive actually got an Alinco scanner and hand held antenna im experimenting with.

Seems to track borrowed Tracker collars OK. Better range than Tracker reciever but also obviously more arwkward to carry. Good back up if handheld is not getting signal. So probably compliment each other. Just havnt got the $ at the moment to have both of my own.

Got any advice on collars you recon has best signal strenth and distributor in Oz? No worries if you you dont want to answer on the forum

Cheers Rimfire