Importing Collars

rimfire

rimfire

I'm not quite sure I understand your underlying question, so I will ask a question back.

You indicate that you have borrowed a Tracker Receiver and collar and also have a radio scanner with a mini yagi antenna? And you cannot get decent range with the receiver..is that right??

If it is then there must be something drastically wrong!!!

Most people go little more than 2-3 klms with their dogs, a few 5klms, yet any of the qulity tracking systems should go 10 klms and many a lot further. If they are not doing that, here are 2 possible explanatons:

1. The equipment is faulty

2. You are testing it in an area that has strong interferene ....high power lines, thick granite belt or some other problem.

Any of the brands I mentiond should give you way over 5klms in any conditions except perhaps sugar cane. Naturally no radio transmitter can overcome the laws of physics, so if you are trying to get it to go through a hill...then it aint gunna happen!!

Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers

No Bull

Thanks No Bull,

Get good range with the scanner and hand held yagi antenna, although still learning to use it. Yes better range than Tracker factory reciever. Only gets a km on flat country I recon, less than that if dogs in slight hollow. Scanner gets reading 3km most times. (Tried new batteries in reciever)

What I mean is if you cant get a reading with the tracker reciever which is easy to carry.

I can usually get a reading from the scanner and antenna which is usually in the ute because its arkward to carry around.

Head off from ute in direction of best signal from scanner, then will usually pick em up with the tracker reciever when gone in that direction for a while.

Am chasing up foxhounds and beagles and they can get out quick if fox/hare dosnt circle up.

Basically just wanted to know, in your experience if some collars have better signal strenth than others, and who in oz might distrubte them.

Cheers Rimfire

Rimfire

Whoever owns that Tracker system has a serious problem, sounds to me like the antenna connection at the base of the collar is damaged. You should be getting easily 10 klms plus, figures that low indicate damage.

I have personally Tracker at way over 10 klms, with Tracker receiver!! I have also tested it in cities (worst conditions) at over 8 klms...so it has a problem.

Of the collars I have mentioned Tracker should be the most powerful, then Wildlife, then Titley (unless they have a new model).

All of them should go 5-10 klms easy. Can't guarantee that range with a scanner type receiver though as it is nowhere as good as a true tracking receiver, either for range or accuracy. The reason you are picking up signal on the scanner at a longer distance on the scanner is that it does not have as good a filtering system as a proper receiver and is picking up the spurious radio emissions coming from the collar. That is it is picking up the other frequencies that are being sent from the damaged antenna, the Tracker receiver filters them out.

See if anyone else in your area is also using Tracker and get together with them for a comparison test.

Have you checked that the collar frequencies have been correctly entered into the receiver, you should hear them as a ver crisp clear signal if they are.

If you want to talk my number is 07 55202587.

Cheers

No Bull

Thanks no bull

The borrowed tracker may have a problem as you suggest, I wasnt trying to put down tracker just jotted down my experience and what other people, such as yourself thought.

The scanner I used did a good job for me, I found dogs that went long a couple of times when experimenting with it.

Thanks for your response and advice and I will give you a call,

Cheers Rimfire

just answering your question Rimfire about going through a Customs Broker or not

Definitely do

depending on how the stuff is sent -- if it comes through Parcel Post probably the first you will know about it is when it is delivered ( depending on value of course - anything under AUD$1000 FOB should be duty / GST free)

if you use one of the couriers eg DHL, TNT, Fedex -- they have inhouse brokerages and often the service is included in the freight price ( not including quarantine fees, customs duties and GST )

Alot of the freight forwarders also have inhouse brokerage

but if not -- if you want to send me a PM i could do the clearance and stuff for either free or small fee depending on the running around required ( thats not including govt charges of course ) PS i am in Sydney but can clear for any port in Aus