Uhf Radio

gafloss

I'm in the market for a UHF radio for the car and have a few questions for those who know more than me. I would like to purchase one in time for the Gatta hunt in mid-May.

The ACMA have delayed the introduction of the 80 Channel system yet again and there is no indication as to when it will happen. Is it worth waiting for the new standard to kick-off and get a compliant unit or will it be like other technologies and take a few years for most folk to start using the new channels?

Uniden have released a small compact 40 channel 5w unit that is compatible with the 80 channel system and can be upgraded for free once the new standards are published. Would this be a better option - a best of both worlds option? http://www.prestigec...roducts_id=2554 and http://www.prestigec...roducts_id=2589

Are there any drawbacks with the new ultra compact UHF radios as compared with the full DIN sized units, such as heat dispersion or serviceability?

Any advice appreciated.

Geoff

If you can find an 80 channel available then get it, I think most of the ones being sold now are only functional for 40 channels till the licence comes out then you go to the website to get unlocking details.

Our GME rep said most old ones will be able to be upgraded anyway and prices are dropping bigtime especially on the Uniden gear, so buying a 40 channel for a heavy discount then upgrading it for $60 later on is a pretty economical option

I hadn't heard about this. So will it be possible to upgrade older model CB's? My Uniden is about 5 or 6 years old, so an upgrade of it would be preferable to replacing it.

I'm glad you said that, Skull...

Anyone know if I will be able to upgrade the Icom IC-440 rolleyes.gif

The icoms firmware is programmable via a "special" adapter cable that normal people are not supposed to have in their possesion. You can also increase the TX power and get them to transmit way out of band, but that would be illegal. The dealer will easily be able to unlock the extra channels.

That model should already be able to recieve the new channels plus a lot more. You can program that from the control panel. Look in the manual.

Edited by b_bear

Keep at it guys its good to know some of you have your finger on the pulse.

I have 3 X 5 watters, a base in the car and 2 hand held.

Im not about to swap if i can get an upgrade, i think the base is a GME.

The other 2 are Puxin.

Prestige have that IC-440 as a package inc. 6db aerial for $452 post free. That's a bit of a saving there because you get the cable and connections as well.

I just bought one.

Grant

I can't see this on their website, Grant. Do you have a link to it?

EDITED: LOL just found it 2 seconds after posting this!!:blink:

I've sent an email to Prestige Communications asking about the Icoms - will keep you posted.

Here's the response from Prestige Coms:

"Hi Geoff,

The Icom IC-400pro and the Vertex VX2200 are both upgradable to the new channel system. The Icom IC-440 is not unfortunately. We also have the new Uniden UH7700NB & UH7760 in stock and include free user update to new system."

The icoms firmware is programmable via a "special" adapter cable that normal people are not supposed to have in their possesion. You can also increase the TX power and get them to transmit way out of band, but that would be illegal. The dealer will easily be able to unlock the extra channels.

That model should already be able to recieve the new channels plus a lot more. You can program that from the control panel. Look in the manual.

Thanks b_bear. I don't have the IC-440 yet (only ordered it on the weekend). I've got a IC-41s (handheld) that I've programmed in the SES channels to but for receive only. I think that's as far as that model goes but I'll take another look at the manual.

Here's the response from Prestige Coms:

"Hi Geoff,

The Icom IC-400pro and the Vertex VX2200 are both upgradable to the new channel system. The Icom IC-440 is not unfortunately. We also have the new Uniden UH7700NB & UH7760 in stock and include free user update to new system."

GODDAMNIT!!!!!

Prestige has that IC-440 as a package inc. 6db aerial for $452 post free. That's a bit of a saving there because you get the cable and connections as well.

I just bought one.

Grant

I think that is the Model that Damige was trying to get a large order deal on last year,but gave up the idea when he heard of the channels being upped from 40 to 80.I would still have liked one,as my Uniden 2 watt radio only seems to work when it wants to now.

But at that price,I may have to buy 2 tins and some string.

Given the upgrade situation I'm currently leaning towards the Uniden UH7760NB. 5w, free user upgrade to new 80 channel system with three year warranty for only $299 bundled with a 4.5db entenna. It doesnt have the additional rx channels but I honestly can't see myself ever wanting these anyway.

Uniden UH7760NB

Although the Icom 400 Pro looks good with a DIN kit......??

Given the upgrade situation I'm currently leaning towards the Uniden UH7760NB. 5w, free user upgrade to new 80 channel system with three year warranty for only $299 bundled with a 4.5db entenna. It doesnt have the additional rx channels but I honestly can't see myself ever wanting these anyway.

Uniden UH7760NB

Although the Icom 400 Pro looks good with a DIN kit......??

And further on that, why would I really want 80 channels? If the IC-440 can't be upgraded is that a monumental problem?

Grant

the only real effect it may have samhunt is if you need to communicate with someone that is using a channel you can't get

If all 4wdrs and hunters continue using the lower range of channels then we could all get away with not upgrading

the only real effect it may have samhunt is if you need to communicate with someone that is using a channel you can't get

If all 4wdrs and hunters continue using the lower range of channels then we could all get away with not upgrading

I reckon this will be the case anyway... at least for a while. I can't imagine everyone rushing out to replace working radios just for the hell of it. As units pack it in they will be replaced and in 5 - 10 years time almost everyone will have 80 channel units.