Torch Torch Torch

jack32

I just realised that I got a similar torch which was recommended in the other gun mounted torch thread! Oops :P

http://www.aushunt.com.au/Forum/index.php?showtopic=17836&view=findpost&p=207033

Also I think you guys should check out the charger that is listed in that post it looks a lot better than the one listed above.

Also the torch I got only has one mode.

With the painting the reflector dads light doesn't have it and the light shows a bright square with some wider rings around it, mine is painted and only shows the square and definitely has a longer range but is a bit harder to find running rabbits sometimes cos there isn't any spread.

I would be interested to find out if the torch in this thread is better than the one I got!

The rings you describe are not noticeable at longer ranges - certain Cree emitters produce these rings, it's down to the way they output the light. The orange peel reflector you see on many lights is designed to smooth out the beam pattern - it also cuts down on the range.

I was thinking of getting the WF-008 recoil thrower. I have seen a new torch on the dealextreme website today:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafire-kf-t60-ha-ii-xm-lt60-2-mode-1000-lumen-white-led-flashlight-with-strap-1-x-18650-55910

Can it really be 1000 lumens using the same battery as the WF-008 which is only 250 lumens? Anyone tried this new XM-LT60 LED???

if you search for XM-LT60 on dealextreme website, you will see different torches with 2 mode and 5 mode, 1000 to 1200 lumens.

I'm interested to hear other peoples opinions? 1000 lumens seems like a lot of light for a little torch... too good to be true?

edit: fixed grammar in 1st line.

Edited by Alf

Here you go mate:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafire-wf-008-recoil-thrower-cree-q5-wc-230-lumen-led-flashlight-1-18650-2-cr123a-22934

I'm not sure about the one you posted the link to. Looks interesting though.

epitome, thanks, but i already had that link. i was trying to compare the 2 together... i think my grammar in the first line shouldn't of had the word "only" in there, as it changes the sentence. oops!! ;) i was trying to say: i saw the new torch "only just before" i nearly purchased the wf-008...

I have a Solarforce L2 with an XM-L T6 dropin in it. It's the three mode Ultrafire dropin which has been tested in a light sphere by one reviewer, to put out around 900 lumens at startup. It is very bright. It also gets warm quickly and it will diminish in output thanks to a loss of efficiency due to the heat.

Compared to my other P60 dropins (these all have the same size reflectors, smooth surface and are the XR-E with around 200L, the XP-G with around 300 and the XM-L, the XML is easily the brightest and lights up the biggest area. It does not prjuect the furthest however. It will beat the XP-G but isn't quite as throwy as the XR-E.

They all project the light in a different fashion - it's not all down to the lumens. The XR-E is the tightest projecting LED so it tends to throw a tight hotspot and a narrow beam. The XP-G can be brighter but it doesn't throw as tight a beam, all else being equal. The XM-L is a much bigger emitter and it throws a larger spot again than the XP-G. It makes up for the large spot with the amount of lumens it puts out - so it can shine a fair way and it also lights up a large area.

I would expect that XM-L Ultrafire to be fairly throwy as it has a smooth reflector that looks to be fairly deep - to catch all those lumens and focus them. The DX site says the current of that light is 2.5mA - the XM-L can handle 3mA or more so it's not being run flatout. I'd expect it's output to be more like 700 lumens.

I would not expect it to throw as far as the WF-008 recoil thrower, which is an extremely tightly focused light that is purely and simply a spotlight.

As far as lumens and throw, they aren't really related - the furthest throwing LED torch with a regular lens (not an aspheric) is the Solarforce Pro-1 which has the XR-E LED and only 200 - 275 lumens depending on if one or two 18650's are used. The beam is very tightly collimated and so it travels a long way.

I've done that with all of my P60 sized lights as an experiment. It works quite well with the XR-E and a smooth reflector, focusing it all down to a square spot that goes a long way.

Does not work so well with the larger emitters - you get a larger square that's not quite as bright. It makes the XM-L throw a little further - but the small P60 sized lights only have a small reflector that's not optimum for catching all the light.

As a general purpose torch and a torch that lets you shoot out to 100m, an XM-L driven at 2.5A and above and in a smooth reflector is great - they really do light up a big area. But as a dedicated long range thrower there are better lights out there.