Sat Phones

G'day all,

Have had a look at the spot and EPIRBS for a emergency item to take out with me.

On to Sat phones now.

Ive found some for about 7hundred and a bit and did a little bit of hunting around for info etc.

They seem like a good idea over the EPIRB and Spots and can be taken away when we go forbying etc.

Whos got one?

any tips?

Has someone worked out the loop hole for a gov rebate thing on them?

I found that if your out of normal mobile coverage for 180 days or more you get a rebate thing up to $1000 well somthing like that comes under small buisness and some other reasons.

cheers Cam

A Sat phone is not a better safety item than an EPIRB because you have to be alert and conscious while using one and if you are out of range or in a black hole your dead.

In a life threatening situation you may be dazed and in shock in extreme pain or whatever. Dialing numbers and holding on to talk to someone might fail also you have to tell them where you are .

The EPIRB is a switch on and it don't matter if you pass out after that and lay there waiting for rescue. You don't have to know where you are or convince some idiot on the phone you are in trouble.

Think about the trouble you have on a mobile phones getting contact and services now well a sat phone is just a mobile phone working from satellites . The EPIRB is a recognized emergency signal .

Great to have both but don't drop the EPIRB in favor of a phone for real wilderness treks. JMHO

Epirbs are the only thing that is made to specifically operate in an emergency - that's their sole purpose and nothing else does as good or a better job than an Epirb. Everything else is not specifically designed to notify and provide your location when you are in an emergency situation.

Ok fair call

Looks like I should get both when the time comes.

As we do a fair bit of fourwheel driving the mrs's wont here from us till we get back to any town.It would be a handy thing to be able to ring them and let them know whats going on. And I guess when we do start going deep bush we should be looking at an EPIRB.

mmmm more money <_<

Im happy to run without anything but its the people back at home that do all the worrying :lol:

thanks guys for the advice

I use a sat phone when out in the hills as a back-up, we use the UHF from the bikes, tractor and vehicles back to a base station in the house, but if no-one is there to take the two-way call and you are busted up needing someone asap then go the sat phone.

We don't have 3G coverage for calls/emails to the phone except on the highest hills and even then it can drift in and out. Maybe one day.

Till then, the sat phone is the go. It has the direct phone numbers of all the neighbours, the local coppers, ambos, fire and 000, andf contacts in town and Brisbane.

The reason in my case is I can get onto someone, tell them what the problem is, and tell them exactly where I am and what track, where the gates are whatever. Some terrible accidents happen on farms and to people on hunts sometimes, I think going straight to those who can help, if you are conscious, is way faster and could be the difference between bleeding to death or dying from shock.

Saying that you can't use a phone if not conscious is true, however most really bad accidents happen very quickly and what guarrantee is there that a personal distress beacon can be activated either in that case? If that is the situation, neither has the edge.

But, additionally, if you have a mate there and we very often do, knowing where the sat phone is in someone's pocket will still be faster at getting straight onto those who can help, in a matter of seconds. Straight to the horses mouth.

It's only $30 a month (plan) for 24 months, and I got a $1000 rebate from the Fed Govt. I use it for casual calls too, both make and recieve, and an epirb don't do that either. And today, they are completely pocketable and not at all finicky. Mine even works inside the house, the other day I got a call in the yard, walked inside to get a drink from the fridge and out again, and even without a clear view of the sky (two rooms into the house under the tin roof and roof insulation) and the call didn't break, in fact I only realised after. So don't believe those who say that they have bad reception, maybe that's again someone who's never had one or who has an axe to grind. If an Epirb can bounce its signal off the sattellites, so does my phone. Isn't Telstra great?

Your choice, my choice, aint it grand to have a choice?

I think both have their good points over one another, but being able to personally talk to someone about your or someone elses injury, particulars about a location whether way in the hills or on some lonely outback highway traffic accident, and guide someone or a chopper in onto your position in a tricky hard to see spot as well as ringing back home to see how the missus is sells the sat phone for me.

Edited by fangster

Thats my theory

As I always have someone with me.

With the $30 month contract did you still have to buy the phone outright?? or is there a deal with phone included??

I think the Iridium phones you can put your normal mobile sim card in also?

My mobile contract runs out next month anyways and if I can a sat phone that i can use as a day to day that would be terific. I normaly dont make many calls on the mobile any how.

Thanks Fangster and as normal more info please :D

Using a sat phone over very short distances like from the paddock of a small property to the homestead is no different to using a UHF and a lot more expensive. The problems are much different when you are in the real wilderness . Do you expect your wife or family to sit by the sat phone every minuet just in-case you get into trouble. If you are just going to potter around your own paddocks during a working hours then a sat phone could be good as an emergency contact but if you are fifty kilometers out in wild country and no one has a clue where you exactly are then the first line of defense is the EPIRB . The farmer can just say to his missus . I'm bogged at the " saddle" come and get me. How do you explain to the wife where you are if she can not read a topographic map or understand a grid reference. If you are lucky you may get contact with some emergency worker or Policeman that knows some navigation but don't bet your life on it . The home paddock mentality is too narrow in it's thinking for real wilderness work . If you only intend to hunt on private properties then a sat phone could be good .

How it works is quite simple.

If the missus knows the property, as mine does and as all other wives do in farms around here, tell her where you are and she can find you, or accompany anyone else who needs to get to you if the need occurs. The neighbours also know all the tracks, we know one anothers places as we do things on one anothers joints. Farmers don't go around with topo maps. In that instance, a satphone call to whoever is the best bet in your directory is much faster, and being able to explain your wants and needs can be a life saver, as is contacting someone local. Bowling the ball straight into the keepers hands and running old mate out, rather than, if you will, bouncing it from fielder to fielder first. Oops, he's safe.

But my description of the satphones benefits to farmers are different from a hunters.

In the hunters case, so many have topo maps on them when in inaccessible areas, even ones that hunt here have bought them for the back blocks and so they know the area. I have not met one yet who bothers to buy a topo and who doesn't have a GPS or isn't skilled at knowing their location on the topo without one and can use his compass.

In that case, the hunter has his satphone, calls help immediately, tells them his exact location from the GPS, what to expect and what they need to be able to deal with. Then, he can talk a chopper in, particularly a likely LZ or even explain to searchers on the ground what track or gate will get them there. An Epirb spot on a screen only tells a bloke in an airconditioned room or choppper where, doesnt say much else, can't talk.

Cam asked about any tips about sat phones and their costs plans etc and any tips. And he's right, they are also great for communication everywhere whenever he wants and can take calls anytime.

By the way Cam, I don't know your personal circumstances but with me, because I don't get mobile 3G coverage in a certain area, that's why the Govt give me the rebate. It doesn't matter whether you were a farmer or not, you could be a 4wd explorer or a rep. At least, that's what it was when I got mine, could've changed Mine went through Telstra, they know where the holes are and provide the whole deal.

If people personally see the benefit that I do, they can look at them. I was always taught to look at all the positives before deciding on what suited me and my needs. I'll explain what I see, and if they don't, it doesn't concern me at all.

To me, having the security of one is better than any health insurance policy when there isn't anyone else around and worth the $30/month.

EDIT: by the way, I have the Iridium phone, and it has a separate sim as my only other phone is a city 3G provided by work one with a different number. Haven't swapped them over at all because of that.

Edited by fangster

No worries thanks for that.

The 3G thing. where i live doesnt have the specific 3G I get reception on the mobile but to get actual 3G that gives video calls etc only works when im at work and hour away. could this be the way to get the grant?

I work next door to a telstra place I think i'll go in when i have a chance at lunch somestage and ask them what the go is.

I cant put in anyput into the farmer side of things.

But as a hunter/four wheel driver theres never any phone coverage and thats not going far into bush either.

We go to Echuca water skiing on the Murray no reception and up there theres a good chance of one of us hiting a tree or somthing else and may need to assist help.

A lot of what I do and where I go either hobby/fun theres never recption and it sucks big time.

anopther good thing would be someone else can reach me if need be. If something happens at home like the daughter gets hurt and is in hospital or somthing like that shes just turned 3 and has NO FEAR. gets it from me but its not good :lol:

Plus if I get one the mrs will let me take my daughter away with us be fishing for trout or what ever we decide to do or go. And i really want to take her away with me. Then I can get out more becaseu she works saturdays and every second sunday. so i get stuck at home when i should be out bush :D

So far just doing some ground work before i start handing over coin for anything

Thanks again fellas for your input once again plenty of good advice brought up.