Riflemounted Torch For 243

hairyback

Looking for a long range rifle mounted torch to put on a 243, I have a full time job and a small farm and am looking at a good torch that I can just mount on the rifle and leave it there for the duration of lambing, I have a company vehicle that would not impress management if I belted a hole through the roof for a spotlight and find suction caps type remotes a bit bulky to keep in the ute and move when the foxes will not sit for long. Generally I find them with a light force 170 and rest over my arm but I would like something that lines up with the rifle and spotlight centre when I am by myself, also will use it for a bit of walking and whstling. At this stage I have narrowed a choice down to the obvious wolfeyes sealion hunter but was wondering if a solarforce masterpiece with the turbo pro 1 thrower head or the solarforce 1200 would be as good or better, the solarforce units seem to be 1/2 the price. I am happy to pay for the wolfeyes if it is that much better, anybody have any experience with these light or have seen them compared. Looking for maximum distance, already have 1 cheapy for the 22 that works ok. any comments appreciated.

Cheers hairyback

Looking for a long range rifle mounted torch to put on a 243, I have a full time job and a small farm and am looking at a good torch that I can just mount on the rifle and leave it there for the duration of lambing, I have a company vehicle that would not impress management if I belted a hole through the roof for a spotlight and find suction caps type remotes a bit bulky to keep in the ute and move when the foxes will not sit for long. Generally I find them with a light force 170 and rest over my arm but I would like something that lines up with the rifle and spotlight centre when I am by myself, also will use it for a bit of walking and whstling. At this stage I have narrowed a choice down to the obvious wolfeyes sealion hunter but was wondering if a solarforce masterpiece with the turbo pro 1 thrower head or the solarforce 1200 would be as good or better, the solarforce units seem to be 1/2 the price. I am happy to pay for the wolfeyes if it is that much better, anybody have any experience with these light or have seen them compared. Looking for maximum distance, already have 1 cheapy for the 22 that works ok. any comments appreciated.

Cheers hairyback

mate go to Deal Extreme Web Site they have aweosme deals on torches and betteries etc.... i vouch for them and so do alot of people on this site

I have a Lightforce 140 that mounts to my rifle scope. Clips on and off, so I hand hold it, find the bunnies, clip it onto the gun and then shoot. Sometimes I even aim before shooting.

Otherwise, I got my first fox with my Led Lenser P7 with scope mount.

I dont know about the wolf eyes sea lion hunter but I do have a wolf eyes night hunter and it is briliant.

I have it on my .22 hornet and it is excellent. It throws a beam further than i can shoot accurately. I imagine the sea lion hunter would be brighter and throw further which would have to be incredible as it is much more powerful than the night hunter. As you say the wolf eyes are not cheap but they are very well made you can just see and feel the quality in them.

I have had kills with it out to 80 metres on rabbits and hares, but wouldn't really attempt anything further off the shoulder which is how you would generally be shooting if walking around. If you are good enough, it will easily illluminate out to a couple of hundred metres plus. Again, not recommended without some sort of a rest on most game. It will illuminate fox eyes hundreds of metres away. I'm sure there are better torches out there, but for the money, this one is great value. Claimed 1200 lumens, but probably just over half that. I do know it absolutely slaughters my LED Lenser P7 which is what I was using to start with. If you get one, be sure to grease up the threads of the three pieces or it can be very hard to get open without a vice.

Cheers

Shane

Just went through the process of ordering a Solarforce torch off that site, but it was only charging me $2 postage, even with Australia clearly tagged in my account details. Not sure whether to proceed with the order or not.

:D

P1060159.jpg

P1060155.jpg

P1060160.jpg

Mine all have the glow in the dark tailcap rubbers, from Dealextreme.

That silver L2 has a three mode Ultrafire XM-L dropin, high is around 900 lumens. It lights up half a football field. :D

Not a mega thrower like the Pro-1.

This L2 has an XR-E emitter, smooth reflector and aspheric lens. Shoots a tight, bright square of light out. Makes a compact thrower.

P1060157.jpg

Hey Shane, do you mind me asking what torch your ordering?

It was the Solarforce Monster Thrower Masterpiece Pro-1 Head + L2x Ext body + XPG R5 320 Lumens Dropin combo set for $74.55

It was the Solarforce Monster Thrower Masterpiece Pro-1 Head + L2x Ext body + XPG R5 320 Lumens Dropin combo set for $74.55

Nice, I am waiting for the Pro-1 Masterpiece + L2P Flashlight Body which comes with an XRE-R2 Emitter.

Good choice!

Shadow - those rubber covers were easy to install. On the Solarforce lights, if you look in the end of the switch, you can see a silver disc with two little dimples in it. If you can get something to grip in one of those dimples, that disc unscrews. The guts of the switch pops out. You just replace the black rubber, and screw it all back together. I've also done my little Uniquefire S10, Eagletac T100C2 and the Ultrafire recoil thrower with them.