Firearms Storage At Home

I have a new and compliant rifle safe as I assumed my old Brownbuilt would not pass inspection when I move my gear from it's present storage to my new home, but I think I may have been able to use it.

As I aquire a few more firearms I would like to use the safe to store the bolts and ammunition and make decent locker that looks more like furniture to keep the boss happy

What are the definitions of "Not easily penetrable" ?? Those old steel lockers are very tough and a devil to break into if you replace the cheap hinges with decent units

What is the plywood equivalent of 2mm mild steel

Hi MD55, not easily penetrable is exactly that. Best thing to do is contact your RFO (regional firearms officer) and ask them as they will be the person conducting any inspections

you may have. I know people who have used the cheap thin steel tool boxes from supercheap, but now the RFO's are really trying to tighten the belt on those.

As far as wood is concerned unless it is a thick hardwood I wouldn't even entertain the idea, just my opinion though.

Personally i would be using the safe for the firearms and maybe doing a mock up on the external of the safe with whatever wood you like, as the internal

storage will be what is complying with the legislation.

I hope that helps,

I guess it depends on what tool you are using as a penetrator ; 6mm hardwood ply is hard to break through with a knife but a heavy pick would get into it, 12mm ply is pretty strong tho. good idea about a safe inside a cupboard, it may be the best idea.

I actually have an old "Gentlemans dresser" that would fit a 550 wide safe inside it.

It's actually better to ask a judge what "easily penetrable" means, as he'll be the one deciding it in the end.

The police can charge you and suspend your licence, but you have a right to your day in court to get the charges reviewed (and maybe dismissed).

The wording of the law on firearm storage in Victoria is very open. The best thing you can do is try to comply with the law as per your understanding of it and provide proof of that.

It's actually better to ask a judge what "easily penetrable" means, as he'll be the one deciding it in the end.

The police can charge you and suspend your licence, but you have a right to your day in court to get the charges reviewed (and maybe dismissed).

The wording of the law on firearm storage in Victoria is very open. The best thing you can do is try to comply with the law as per your understanding of it and provide proof of that.

"Open" is right, leaves the wallopers too much discretionary power if you get a young constable feeling his authority.

Are we any "safer" for all this legislation and rulings??

Local DFO was as helpful as he could be but it isn't him doing the inspection; that gets handed off to the nearest local police station.

When we build our new garage it will incorporate a strong bay with masonry walls and I will put all of my dangerous chemicals, power tools and my firearms safes inside that, until then if this doesn't pass muster I'll buy another safe.

I have been talking to my local police station ( thank G** there are some older policemen still around who shoot and own rifles themselves) and they say this unit IS compliant

http://www.brownbuilt.com.au/n_riflelk.htmI These are exactly the same construction as my old Brownbuilt cabinets that are considered to be now not compliant, the main reason being that they sit above the floor

I asked if I filled the base with concrete would they be considered to sit flush with the floor and the answer was probably

I have been talking to my local police station ( thank G** there are some older policemen still around who shoot and own rifles themselves) and they say this unit IS compliant

Moondog55 trust ME,

There are plenty of young policemen around that own and shoot rifles. But i definitely agree there are less than there once would have been. A dying breed maybe?

Police doing inspections will most likely be two up (edit) if a young constable is learning, one senior and one more junior so you'll have two opinions on the quality of your firearms security.

Either way when it comes to firearms security i would rather have someone tell me it wasn't secure enough, than pass something that was not up to scratch and they all went missing!

Cheers

Edited by fredz4

Well to be honest I don't think all this super secure storage has done all that much to make us safer, just locking the rifles in a cupboard worked for my family for yonks, and as kids we used to hang our air rifles on hooks on our bedroom walls and proudly display our wealth.

I am afraid I am getting old and a little cranky and sick to the back teeth with politicians and petty corruption in our police force

Yeah, but back then if a crim wanted a firearm, he'd just walk into the gun store and buy one!

Now they have to go to a black market dealer or steal one.

Yeah! Sad but True, where do all the hard types go to buy now that Port Melbourne has become Yuppy-fyed

So the inspection has happened and all correct

I asked the two experienced constables what constitutes not easily penetrable and his answer " That all depends on who's looking " but a Brownbuilt / Namco in 0.8mm steel will pass

Firearms Storage At Home what constitutes not easily penatrable??

a chastity belt?..soz could'nt help myself having few shots of whiskey tonight

LOL

Firearms Storage At Home what constitutes not easily penatrable??

a chastity belt?..soz could'nt help myself having few shots of whiskey tonight

hahaha, thats alot better than i was gonna put it, nice one! :D

Police doing inspections will most likely be two up (edit) if a young constable is learning, one senior and one more junior

Whose job it is to get the donuts and coffee :bow: